One Month Evaluation

Options
Okay, I've been dieting for a month. Here's my evaluation and actions I want to take.

1. Lost four pounds just in strict scale terms. Using a ten day moving average (which is what I base my actual evaluations on) it's actually five pounds, but more on that later. Pounds lost at approximately a pound a week. Right on target.

2. But that moving average? The trend, not a daily weight but the TREND, took a slight dip up as of this morning. I don't freak out at the variations in daily weight, but this is different. So, evaluation and action time.

a. Buy a food scale. Yes, you're very faithful with the measuring cups. It is possible that you are not measuring accurately enough. If you can justify $400 for a gym membership for a year (and good job on working out every weekday morning), you can justify less than fifty bucks for a scale, since what you consume reflects more on your weight than what you burn.

b. Those estimates on the lunches you're buying a work? I think we're getting into wishful thinking categories. You might THINK you "have enough calories" for a cookie to go with that wrap, but I'm doubting like hell that the cookie as big as your hand really has fewer than 300 calories no matter what you're trying to match in the database. MAYBE you have enough calories for an Oreo, but this is getting stupid. And get real, you have no damn idea what's really in that chicken wrap. You're a good cook. Stop being lazy and bring you own confounded lunch. You want something sweet? Clementines are just about in season and you LOVE those!

c. Speaking of wishful thinking, I know you enjoy a drink after a long day. And I don't care if you enjoy them. Stoppit. Yes, you might have enough calories for a 2oz martini (I have 2 oz. mini cocktail glasses -- very cute), but be realistic. Is there a downside to saving drinks for feast days? (Christmas, etc) No. An apple has the same amount of calories as your mini appletini and for God's sake, it has like real nutrients to boot. Eat that many calories in vegetables, and you get vitamins, minerals, fiber AND feeling full. If you're really in need of sensation seeking after a long day, keep in mind you have a husband and are an empty nester -- just sayin'.

d. You've fooled around long enough. Free weight room, upstairs, Tuesday. Yes, the swim feels wonderful. So does iron across your shoulders, and you know it. Yes, you're training for a swim. Is getting stronger going to interfere with that? No. Besides, you need weight-bearing activity. If the loss of weekly yardage bothers you that much, the pool is open on weekends, and you've got more time for a longer swim if you want one. This is not actually a problem, now is it?

3. Overall, you're doing okay. While you shouldn't let perfect get in the way of good, you need some more accurate data for a few things and to tighten up on some habits. If every month were like this month, you'd still be on target for your goal, and that's good.