The last 10 pounds with 5:2

Options
I've been trying to shift that last 10lbs for three years. I've tried daily calories between 1200-1600 and lots of cardio, but life just seems to get in the way and I fall off the wagon. I'm getting married next May, so I'd really like to finally shift it.

I've done a week of 5:2 but my weight hasn't shifted much (maybe 1lb). I was hoping to hear from others 5:2ing within a healthy BMI? I don't mind slow and steady, I just want to know I'll get there!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Regardless of the diet style you do, it all comes down to calories. 5:2 is not magical, it just helps create a deficit over the 2 days of fasting.

So do you use a food scale? Can you open your food diary? What are your stats and exercise routine and do you have medical issues?
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You will get there if you weigh and measure all of your food to make sure you are not over eating. Life will continue to get busy but you have to stay the course. If you don't have one then buy a food scale and properly track your calories.
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    try intermittent fasting, allow yourself a 4-8 hour eating window, and eat, its hard to over eat especially in 4-6 hours, if you dont count calories.
    Fat loss is about a lifestyle, you say your wedding is a year, this gives you reasonable time to create the lifestyle of no end, treat yourself, dont punish yourself when you treat yourself and realize that you are in control and eat like you are in control!! <3
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    daynerz wrote: »
    try intermittent fasting, allow yourself a 4-8 hour eating window, and eat, its hard to over eat especially in 4-6 hours, if you dont count calories.
    Fat loss is about a lifestyle, you say your wedding is a year, this gives you reasonable time to create the lifestyle of no end, treat yourself, dont punish yourself when you treat yourself and realize that you are in control and eat like you are in control!! <3

You do realize that 5:2 is a type of interim fasting right? And trust me, even with 4-6 IF, I could easily over eat.

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Just go back to a normal diet, not one that promotes an unsustainable way of eating.
  • GibbsGirl13072
    GibbsGirl13072 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Search the groups for 5:2 and Intermittent Fasting. There are a lot of people who have been doing it for awhile and have had success with it. It's not unsustainable at all once you get used to it.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    You might want to try alternate day fasting since you have a time pressure. It's 500 calorie days alternated with unrestricted ones (but use good judgment and listen to your hunger signals). I think 5:2 might be better for maintenance.