What other "impossible" things did you conquer AFTER reaching your fitness goals?

Options
SLHysell
SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
edited October 2014 in Success Stories
I really find the success stories I read here to be quite inspirational. They are incredible, and the pictures are amazing. However, the stories usually end with something like "I'm now much more confident", or "my life is completely different", or maybe something about how cool it is to be able to buy clothes off the rack. Those endings always leave me wanting to know more. I know that the journey to weight loss or better fitness has a serious psychological and emotional component that once conquered might leave one with the feeling that they could accomplish anything. I'd love to hear some stories about how the journey to better health led to gaining the courage to finally buy the house you always wanted, or to stand up for yourself at work, or maybe to start the business you'd always dreamed of.

In other words, what significant positive changes happened to your life after you reached your health goals? I'd bet there are some great stories out there.

Replies

• ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    You know, that's a really great question....

For me, about halfway through this I got a great job with a great company - a dream job in a lot of ways. I'm not sure if I would have gotten it without the additional confidence I had when I walked into the interviews.

Even more so however, I'm getting to be the dad and husband I just didn't think I could be because of all the physical and mental baggage I was carrying around with me every day. It was a heavy load. But now I say "yes" to things a whole lot more than I used to and for me that's my biggest accomplishment.
  • nogreenthumb
    Options
    I've only really committed myself to working out this week. There are changes I'd like to see, and honestly losing 10 lb is really not the one that excites me.

Just as your post mentioned, I want to see how this effects other areas of my life :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    EXCELLENT THREAD!!!

I thought I just wanted to 'loose weight and be toned and have self-esteem and be hot'. I couldnt have been more OFF about what I was really hoping for.

The more time I spent in my new lifestyle, in my healthy, fit-oriented existence, the more ideas I re-came across, or rediscovered. So many of them were things I would have never consider doing. Some of them, like doing a race with other people, completely disgusted me and I had no desire to even try.

Flash forward a few years and Im rock climbing and hiking mountains, done a spartan race and 2 tough mudders, and next year, Im aiming to do 4 tough mudders within 4 or 5 months as a complete "TM Season". Who'd have thought?

All cause I got in a bad car accident and gained 100 pounds and decided to buy a pair of 'goal jeans" HAHAHA
  • SLHysell
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    ...All cause I got in a bad car accident and gained 100 pounds and decided to buy a pair of 'goal jeans" ...

I love how you can sometimes trace big accomplishments back to decisions made in a single moment. Good story.
  • SLHysell
    Options
    ewhip17 wrote: »
    You know, that's a really great question....

For me, about halfway through this I got a great job with a great company - a dream job in a lot of ways. I'm not sure if I would have gotten it without the additional confidence I had when I walked into the interviews.

Even more so however, I'm getting to be the dad and husband I just didn't think I could be because of all the physical and mental baggage I was carrying around with me every day. It was a heavy load. But now I say "yes" to things a whole lot more than I used to and for me that's my biggest accomplishment.

My kids are huge part of my fitness goals as well. I don't want to be the dad who can't play ball with them when they get a little older.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Nailed a white girl.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    One of mine big accomplishments was too go to the pool and swim laps. When I was 100 pounds overweight, I thought those days were over. I was too afraid to go. Once I did that, I signed up and did a sprint triathlon.

Also, I gave myself permission to be more picky in the dating scene. No one should just settle.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    run a 15k in under an hour and a half never would have attempted to even walk one at 260lbs
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    A little over two years ago, my non-work life pretty much revolved around smoking about 2-3 PAD and hanging out on my patio drinking beer. The mere thought of even taking my dog for a 10 minute walk around the block was cause for a good nap on the couch with the game on...and more beer. Both my wife and I had little energy...we were lazy...and we were fat.

Fast forward 2 years...I've been smoke free since October 25, 2012. I lost about 40 Lbs from Sept 2012 - May 2012. My wife and I both now live a fitness centric lifestyle...she's a runner and I like riding my bike. I did a couple of 1/2 century rides this past year and I've participated in a couple of cyclocross races this fall.

To boot, these aspects of fitness have creeped into other parts of our lives as well...as an example, earlier this month was the big International Balloon Fiesta here in Albuquerque...we go every year...we usually get up early to load everyone up in the car on a Saturday or Sunday morning and spend the better part of an hour or more sitting in traffic to go about 8 miles...and then spend another 30 minutes or more looking for parking. This year, we got up early, dawned our cool weather riding gear, fired up our bicycle lights and loaded the kids up in the little trailer and biked to the Fiesta...took a fraction of the time and we got in a little exercise coming and going.

This weekend we have a trip to the zoo planned for Saturday morning...it's about 15 miles from our house...instead of loading up the car, we're again going to bike and get a good 30 mile round trip ride in just for fun....and I won't even need a nap afterwards.

Being fit is awesome...I couldn't have imagined any of this two years ago.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'll be honest and admit that I'm as shallow as the next person and want to look attractive. However, my next biggest motivator is the feeling I get when I look at others around my age (51) plus. My partner and I have a sail boat and belong to a club with members that are mostly people a bit older. There are newly retired folks (around 60 mainly) that are racing their boats, jumping off the back for ocean swims and sailing to exotic locals where they are playing with dolphins and going ashore to hike. Other folks mostly have their boats on the dock and use it as a nice place to eat and sip wine (not that I don't do this too ;)). They talk about selling and getting a power boat because they no longer think they can "handle" a sail boat. I now I want to be in the former and not the later category as I age - hopefully I'll reach my weight loss and fitness goals and look pretty decent while I'm having fun!
  • kmariet7
    kmariet7 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Because I lost weight and felt comfortable in my body I was able to go zip lining with my family this summer! I was scared (feat of heights) but never worried that i physically couldn't handle it:)
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I love this thread idea. You all are so inspiring! I still am working on my own journey, but it is nice to think about all of the other things that you can do when you make these lifestyle changes. Thank you all for posting!!
  • ThineOwnselfBTrue
    ThineOwnselfBTrue Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound silly, but losing weight gave me the confidence to go on the rides at Valleyfair. I went on rides with my daughter that I wouldn't have gone on before. I even went on rides she didn't want to go on.
  • hrtunstall
    hrtunstall Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Great stuff!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Nailed a white girl.

As politically incorrect that is :) I sort of get where you are coming from. A friend recently asked me how dating was . . . it is funny because AA men no longer really speak or hit on me now it is Caucasians and Asians - not sure when the shift happened.
    -
    But back to the OP question - I am definitely more confident at work and stick up more for myself - more as a side effect of the weight loss having suffered through the many not so nice comments along the way. I intend to start looking for a new job soon and look forward to how/if things will be different.

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Inspiring thread :)
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I haven't reached my weightloss goal yet. But, I've reached a bunch of other goals. Isn't that how it works? You reach one and then set something new? Add another mile on, or try to hit a 300 lb. deadlift by xxx time?

Here is what has happened for me through the past 2 1/2 years:

I was able to finally live the life that I wanted. It's filled with the outdoors. I can kayak, ride my bike, backpack, hike uphill, scrabble for mushrooms, and swim in freezing cold mountain streams. I don't really have to think about whether I'm capable of whatever adventure I have in mind, I just do it.

It's not just the beginning and end that matter, all of that time in the middle should be rewarding as well. Because really, there is no "end" anyway.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I'm not at goal yet (15 pounds to go) but...at 59 years of age I ran in my first 5K this past Independence Day. The day before I turned 60 I ran my 2nd 5K (Color run) with my 16 and 20 year old nieces and two of my best friends - it was amazing!!! Over the summer I also went white water rafting (twice!) and zip lining. Something I never would have considered doing 70 pounds ago!
    Independence Day was significant because being fit really does free you to live life!!! Instead of sitting in a chair getting fatter and lazier I'm having the time of my life. The feeling of accomplishment when you run in a race with fit, like-minded people is euphoric!
    I also am warding off (hopefully) high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.
    The question I keep asking myself.....why did I wait so long?!!!! :)
  • NowyTends
    NowyTends Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Not close to my goals yet, but if someone said to me i would run 5km+ in 36C heat and not only not be dead but actually love it, i would have rolled over laughing :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!