How do u avoid overeating treats you make with kids?

Options
mustloseweight2015
mustloseweight2015 Posts: 78 Member
edited October 2014 in Motivation and Support
I usually try to keep healthy snacks and food on daily basis. However, every now and then, my 2.5 year old wants treats. She's really getting into "helping" mommy in the kitchen and gets so excited making her own food. We usually make healthy stuff. But every now and then, I would love to make treats with her too. For example, Halloween cookies tomorrow. I'm afraid that I will end up eating more cookies than her. But she doesn't have any weight or health problems (she's 20th percentile for weight) and while I want her to eat healthy food in day-to-day life, I don't want to deprive her of treats because of my weight issues.

Have you faced this problem? How have you controlled yourself and avoided overeating the treats?

Replies

• Lbagl
    Lbagl Posts: 6
    Options
    The fun is in the making of the treats! We make them, package them up, and give them away. I also put them in individual serving size bags/containers for lunches and that keeps me from touching them. And, I use the old will-power muscle and walk away from the kitchen. You can have a serving size-work it into your day-and then move on. If you don't feel like you can have one because it sets off cravings then give them away! Take them to an office, fire station, neighbor's house, whatever.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Since you can't avoid all foods, all the time, now is a good time to practice moderation. You can have treats when you want, just make it fit into your calories.

I would have one, maybe two, and set a bunch aside for her. Then either give the rest away or freeze them for another day.
  • kmariet7
    kmariet7 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I agree give some away if you can and bag up the others in individual portions.... For your daughter for lunches or after dinner snack. I won't eat food if it belongs to someone else:)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Keep a few, dump the rest on your coworkers so they can start threads about you sabotaging them.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    One or two cookies for your daughter is fine - more than that is just greedy. One or two cookies for you is also fine, though if you're adhering to a calorie goal then try and fit the cookies into your allowance.
    - No-one forces you to put the cookie in your mouth...so don't!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I don't have children but this is still an issue. I've been invited to a party and you know, everyone brings things. If I'm baking something, it's very hard not to eat any... and once I eat *any* it is ON. I don't want to ruin my progress. Maybe I'll just go to the store and buy something I don't actually like this time around.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I eat as many as I want and make sure they fit into my calories/macros for the day.
    Typically 1-2 cookie and then I'm done with them....Until tomorrow that is
  • 3Alice3
    3Alice3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I dread this aswell, because I don't have great self control when the food IS RIGHT THERE IN FRONT OF ME ... calling me. I agree with the other posters, give them away or put them away and walk away!!!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I bake often, I usually scale the recipe down so I don't make too many. Portion them out, freeze some, anything I don't want goes into work with my husband so they can complain I'm making them all fat
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    As far as I'm concerned Cake is a food group and should be included as part of a balanced diet. As ^^^^^ I freeze a lot or make smaller batches and frequently especially on the chocolate cupcakes just have half and share it with my wife. It's just teaching yourself moderation and I find I enjoy them far more especially if I've earned them by doing a long run
  • mustloseweight2015
    mustloseweight2015 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for helpful tips. I was planning to give some away, but I also like the ideas of freezing and packing them in snack-bags for my daughter to take to school. That way they're already packed for her and I won't take them. Of course, I will try to fit a treat or two in my daily allowance....:)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    No, because I decide what both her and I eat, not her. If it was down to her, she would have chocolate every day and I would be considered a bad parent.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I make healthy treats for the entire family (this would be a great way for your daughter to learn how to make healthy food for herself when she's older, like someone else said, she just wants to help, she doesn't care if there's less sugar in it), set aside one or two per person to eat over the next few days, and then freeze the rest. I usually make the whole batch and figure out the nutrition in 100g, and then weigh whatever I eat so it's pretty accurate. My daughter usually gets to try the first one, and then I work one into my daily diary plan either then or some other time when it suits me.
  • TrailRunnermn
    TrailRunnermn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have a seefood problem. I see food and I eat it. I keep all the bad food out of the house. Since that isn't plausible for a lot of people, I would be stuffing my face with good, wholesome food before making any treats. By that time, cravings for any type of food would be out the door.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I have a seefood problem. I see food and I eat it. I keep all the bad food out of the house. Since that isn't plausible for a lot of people, I would be stuffing my face with good, wholesome food before making any treats. By that time, cravings for any type of food would be out the door.

Absolutely! This is why I freeze homemade treats ASAP. It's a pain going down to the basement, searching around the freezer, getting cold hands etc. just to pull a muffin out... Just easier to grab an apple TBH.