Shirataki Spaghetti - Anyone try these? 15 Calories

Options
I made these with 4oz of chicken, some mushrooms, and caramelized onions all in a teriyaki sauce. So delicious and it was only 300 calories total for dinner.

Replies

• jen350z
    jen350z Posts: 48
    Options
    https://www.google.com/search?q=shirataki&biw=1366&bih=707&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=4DtSVNznL8SUNrzHg6gC&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg#tbm=isch&q=shirataki+spaghetti

Its real good with like stir fry or if you have a craving for spaghetti but don't want to kill your diet this is the way to go. That whole bag is 30 cal total. Serving is half a bag @ 15 cal. I tried it for the first time last night and thoughts I'd share. Wasn't bad at all.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    They are like slimy pieces of cardboard
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    How do you prepare these noodles? I was told there was a trick to it, not just boiling it up? Presoaking or something?
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    This thread taught me how to use shiritaki noodles well.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/536767-let-s-talk-about-shirataki-noodles

I recommend trying the dry-fry method before you decide whether or not you like them.

My favorite uses are in pad thai and "pasta" puttanesca. I don't think I'd like them with chicken and marinara -- they're too mild. Shiritaki noodles are better when the noodles aren't really the focus of the dish; I think they need other strong components.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I tried them, and couldn't get past that taste....I even tried rinsing them thoroughly before cooking, but they were stinky and gross and the texture was waaaaay off.

But then, I make my own pasta, so I know what good pasta tastes like.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    They are also like slippery pieces of eel. And smell.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    But then, I make my own pasta, so I know what good pasta tastes like.

Shiritaki noodles aren't even close to pasta. People would probably be less turned off by them if they stopped trying to use them that way. They're closest to glass noodles and are much better in asian-style dishes.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    jen350z wrote: »
    I made these with 4oz of chicken, some mushrooms, and caramelized onions all in a teriyaki sauce. So delicious and it was only 300 calories total for dinner.

Yeah, they taste horrible and have a texture like the snot you get during a bout of respiratory infection.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    jen350z wrote: »

Yeah, they taste horrible and have a texture like the snot you get during a bout of respiratory infection.
    t4725.gift4725.gift4725.gif
    want
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    dsfg.gif
  • woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I use them in place of vermicelli/glass/cellophane/mung bean noodles or as a tofu-type ingredient - mostly for packaging convenience, not because of the calories. If you want to sub out spaghetti, go in the zucchini/spaghetti squash direction - shirataki/konjac/yam can't take the place of a wheat (or grain...) based noodle.
  • 123_lac
    123_lac Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've tried them and hate them.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    123_lac wrote: »
    I've tried them and hate them.

Same here. I rinsed and rinsed and dried and microwaved, and still all I tasted were the noodles. Completely overrode the taste of any sauce I tried. I just can't do it.

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I only use them when I make stirfry, otherwise I'll take spaghetti squash or real noodles (depending on my mood and how many calories I have).
  • AMRROL
    AMRROL Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I love them. Stir fry, substitute for noodles in soup, finely chopped and added to tuna salad. The possibilities are limitless, and they take on the taste of the food. Yes, the texture is different, but the fiber is so good for you.
    \
  • skeetpea
    skeetpea Posts: 241 Member
    Options

This pretty much sums it up for me!
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    I use them them in stirfries but they must be well hidden.

After I've drained them I soak them in water and lemon juice. The lemon juice gets rid of that hideous fishy smell. Then I chop them into smaller pieces and dry fry. I add them to the stirfry at the end.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Ummmmm they have no taste. They are completely tasteless. Rinse them under hot water for few minutes then dry fry them.
    Use in Asian dishes as they are intended. Though I've used them in Italian style pasta and either way it's delicious.

I honesty think a lot of people are associating the packaging smell to a taste that doesn't actually exist.

As for texture.... Really? You must also hate the texture of wonton noodles in wonton soup otherwise it's all in your heads *eyeroll*.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Using spag squash in place of noodles works for me.Stir fry,baked pasta dishes,with marina & meat balls,any dish calling for pasta........so I don't need another source of "pasta".Years ago,after trying shiritaki noodles a couple times,knew there was no point in forcing myself to eat food that gagged me.Doesn't matter what food it is,there are variations of most & I choose something I can look forward to.
    We all have different tastes,so whatever you enjoy is the way to go,regardless of peoples remarks. JMO