Feeling extra tired after lifting if new to it?

Options
Hi everyone--

I'm curious as to whether anyone else has noticed the following when just starting a lifting program:

-Feeling extra tired the next day
-If feeling a little like you're coming down with a cold but are fighting it off, you feel a bit worse the day after a workout

I have just started heavier lifting (last week was my first week trying it) and I am definitely noticing that I feel tireder than usual the next day (on top of the obvious sore muscles). I also notice being rather hungrier, but that's something I've seen people mention a lot so I'm not at all concerned about that.

(I suppose partially I could be feeling tireder after working out simply because I am working on losing the last couple of pounds and am still in a small calorie deficit, too.)

Thanks!

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Yup. It gets better.

You just need to get conditioned to the new stimulus.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Good to hear that this improves.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    The hunger thing doesn't go away though, I'm starving half way through (learn to take a banana or something with you)!!
  • Feistycat
    Feistycat Posts: 12,868 Member
    Options
    I drink a recovery shake within a half hour of lifting and it helps somewhat. But, ooh, I still get tired enough for a nap. And the day afterwards I'm even more sore, but then it tapers off.

I suspect the heavy fatigue is because my body's trying so hard to repair & rebuild my muscle fibers that there's not much energy left for housework, laundry, cooking, etc.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    GillianMcK wrote: »
    The hunger thing doesn't go away though, I'm starving half way through (learn to take a banana or something with you)!!

Yeah it does. I routinely work out in the afternoon, fasted. You get conditioned to controlling that stimulus as well.

What's nice about a new heavy workout plan... the random naps. You sit down to take off your shoes and wake up 45 minutes later.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Does it make any of you feel like you're coming down with a cold? Or is this just because I am perhaps coming down with a cold? :\