I just had a chocolate bar (250cals) AM I SCREWED?

Options
Ive been on this journey for about 2 weeks, with strict clean eating and no cheats, I was at the movies an hour ago and had a choc bar, I feel so guilty.. Im thinking of skipping dinner! I didnt even enjoy it like i usaully do.

Replies

• StephTheVeggieKiller
    Options
    If it put you over your limit, then it might be good for you to go for a little jog or something. If not, dont worry about it. Everyone deserves something once in a while.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Log it and move on. If you still eat as normal, you shouldn't surpass your maintenance calories. And maybe work small treats into your days in moderation, that way you don't feel the need to cheat.
  • vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty and don't skip dinner. Just make sure it fits in your calorie goal for the day. If you don't have that many left for the day try having a lighter meal.
    I have treats all the time but I make sure I don't go over my daily goals. If you want this to be a lifestyle change you have to be able to indulge every once in a while or it won't last.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    GASP! Yes, you may as well give up on ever being healthy... *extreme sarcasm*

Serious: No big deal - just go back to eating healthy tomorrow. We all have treats, cheats, and off days sometimes. Personally, 250 cal of a chocolate bar would go into my diary like everything else and I'll try to stay within my total calories for the day. If I try to be too strict with myself, I know I will not be able to succeed.
  • StephTheVeggieKiller
    Options
    Key I think is to be honest to yourself about it. If you dont log it because you dont like how it looks, then that stuff will eventually lead to degression. Add me as a friend if you need positive feedback every once in a while :) I love a support team!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    There's absolutely nothing unhealthy about a 250 cal chocolate bar
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Worst case, you ate at or slightly above maintenance. One candy bar didn't make you fat. Ditch the "clean eating or fail" mindset and you'll get further.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    You are going to gain 100 pounds and you will never be able to lose them. What were you thinking???
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Eh. You're fine. One chocolate bar is not going to destroy whatever work you have put in so far. Log it, move on. No need to feel guilty.
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Your not doomed at all. Do not cave in to the punishment mentality. Treat tomorrow as a normal day of calories. This is a journey, love yourself and your chocolate!! Try harder tomorrow, but dont fall victim to yourself. the key is building a healthy approach and attitude about food!!! <3
  • TrailRunnermn
    TrailRunnermn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Dust yourself off and get back on track. Beating yourself up doesn't burn too many calories. The stress you put on yourself about a little chocolate bar will do your body more harm than good.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Just log the chocolate bar, be mindful of your other meals, and, if necessary, get in a little activity. Chances are, your deficit is bigger than 250 calories, so even if you went over by the entire amount today you'd still lose weight.

You don't have to give up treats to lose weight, and you don't have to avoid candy to have a balanced, healthy diet. Your food diary should reflect what is important to you, including enjoying a treat at the movies (if that's your thing). Just focus on the numbers in your log and maintain a deficit.

I'd recommend a deep breath and dancing to a super fun song. You'll feel better. ;)
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Nope, you're not screwed. Log it, eat your dinner, and move on. It is one treat, not the end of the world. Go for a walk/jog/bike ride/etc. if you want to "work off" the 250 calories, but don't start skipping meals. Plus, it's highly unlikely that those 250 cals will completely erase the deficit you are currently eating at.
  • NewMeowLean
    Options
    I just ate 4 chocolate bars for a grand total of 600 kcal (stressed out because of an exam)... :s Sometimes it happens... I just logged it and now I am going to exercise - but not enough to "erase" the 600 kcal lol.
  • misicat2014
    Options
    Worst diet defeater - guilt. Don't let guilt discourage you. As said above, shake it off and move on. As also already said, we need to indulge once in a while and need to realize that realistically there will be moments where we want something like a chocolate bar, etc. Plan it in you daily food and make adjustments as needed and enjoy.

And do not skip dinner over it.

Pretty much agreeing with everything said already...just adding my two cents.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Exercise off 250 calories! If you walk for an hour and a half briskly, I think that would burn off about that much.
  • cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm a big supporter of "Log it and move on." We are all going to give in to temptation at one point or another. You need to treat yourself once in awhile so you don't go nuts! Good luck on your journey!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    welcome to living....Your not going to avoid chocolate bars forever are you?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that is really crazy but not as crazy as this. Yesterday...... I ate half a biscuit!!!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    One thing to think about is that this question displays a pretty unhealthy relationship with food. Part of the "lifestyle change" that will make your eating habits and weightloss sustainable is to develop a healthy relationship with food. Guilt does not enter into it. Guilt is a result of immoral behavior, and there are absolutely no moral judgments with eating (unless you get into sustainability and fair trade and stuff like that).

When you eat, it's neither good nor evil. It merely serves your goal or doesn't. Some foods are more likely to get you to your goal weight, but there are other goals in life, such as to enjoy your presence on the earth, and chocolate not only enhances that, but if you eat good chocolate (ie. not Hershey's type crap) then you also get the benefits of chocolate's flavonols and other healthful compounds.

It becomes so much easier to stick with your calorie goals and not binge when you stop attaching moral judgments to eating. It's not helping you to beat yourself up over a chocolate bar. Even if you go over your calorie goal, all you're doing is delaying reaching your goal, not kicking a puppy. And since losing a pound of fat requires a deficit of 3500 calories, your chocolate bar didn't even delay you losing a whole pound, only a fraction of one. Not nearly as big a deal when you keep it in perspective.