Do/have any of you put off medical checkups because of your

Options
I'm guilty of putting off checkups because of what I know the scales will reveal. Haven't had a good checkup in about 4 years and aside from being really busy and working long hours, I'm ashamed that I've not done a better job taking care of myself! Just wondering if any of you have this issue as well? Well, I'm working on my weight as we speak, and when I hit the 10 pounds down mark, I'm going to schedule a much-needed checkup. Not sick, I have no blood pressure issues and I'm pretty sure nothing going on with my blood sugar, but i know the doctor will bring up my BMI and try to put me on cholesterol meds! At least I'll be able to tell him I'm exercising regularly now and watching what I eat, and save my liver for another few years!

Replies

• hexidecimal
    Options
    I've been avoiding my Doctor for a while now, because I know she's going to be disappointed in my weight. The worst part is I know she's right and I haven't done anything about it. Oh well - I'm here now and working on it. I'm like you - I want to lose at least 10 pounds before I go see her. Problem is, I have a really sore foot that should be looked at, but don't want to go. I figure it can wait a while yet as i don't' think there's anything:blushing: she can do except tell me to get better shoes and not wear high heels.
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    YES!!! I only have check ups when I have too, like only when I am prego! Needless to say I am WAY overdue for one and I do not want to go in. I am done having babies so forcing me is not an option and so sooner or later I will have to put my big girl panties on and go...DARN! Good luck to you...and thanks, I tend to forget about the things I don't want to do so maybe I will make it a goal to make an appointment this week...YUK!!! :sad:
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of that. Mostly because I was in denial about my weight and thought I was a healthy fat person. It wasn't until I got sick this past year that I forced myself to take a long hard look at my full health picture. Blood results came back bad, I wasn't prepared for that at all. I wasn't prepared to hear my doc tell me I'm going to end up diabetic if I didn't do something about my weight but it's what I really needed to hear. It jolted me into reality.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I like my doctors and I'm always happy to see them to show my progress (even before I started losing weight)
  • trachnurse
    trachnurse Posts: 51
    Options
    I also put off checkups, I went nearly ten years after my last child without one. Well, bad idea for me. I have ended up with type 2 diabetes from not taking care of myself. I am now well on my way to healthy, doctor is very happy with me. I was diagnosed in January, and will probably be off meds in a few more months. I thought I was healthy too, no symptoms or issues, and I am a nurse. Please take your health seriously, and get a checkup regularly!!! I am glad I did, before I ended up in even more trouble. Take care of yourselves!!!:smile:
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I never put off checkups but I always believed that my clothes and shoes must weigh over 25lbs. because it couldn't be me.:noway: I'm looking forward to getting on the scales for my next checkup.:bigsmile:
  • merbee
    merbee Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Oh boy do I know what you are talking about. I have thyroid issues so have to go to the doctors to get the prescription refilled. Last year he wanted to put me on his scale and I refused. That is what started all this for me. I was on sugar meds, cholesterol meds, and some other med for the "fatty intrusion" into my kidney. I am happy to say that this year, although I still refused to get on his scale, my blood work said that my sugar was normal and my cholesterol was below normal. I got great numbers back. Then I broke the news to him that I had not been taking my meds. I just couldn't afford them so I stopped about 6 months before my doctor's visit. I was scared to death what that blood work was going to come back with. The only med I had continued with was my thyroid - and it came back levelled out for the first time in 8 years!!! I believe all this is due to my healthier eating habits. I watch my salt intake now - little sweets instead of daily sweets - and as few carbs as I can manage. So - it will get better if you continue to eat healthier and take care of yourself. I promise
  • genann
    genann Posts: 236
    Options
    :frown: Yes, I'm guilty of putting off check ups because of the scale. I know my blood pressure is back up and I'm really getting worried about diabetes. I've started having problems with my feet and back. I've been off my diet for the last few months, I've gained more weight and have decided I'm way too fat to keep going this way. I've started back on it , as of today, and I'm going to do my best to stick with it.
  • lock0134
    lock0134 Posts: 19
    Options
    I am guilty of this too. I used to go once a year just so I could get my pap done. Now that I'm single I don't go at all. I haven't had a full physical in years. The reason for me is I know my doctors and it was embarrassing to get on that scale and see how much you've gained in a year. But now that I'm on the right track to getting healthier and enrolled in a nursing program I promised myself I'll go get a FULL physical within a year.
  • flwyland
    flwyland Posts: 142
    Options
    I had put off doctors' visits for 7 years. In spite of my weight, I felt healthy because I never got sick. My niece talked my sister & I both into our annual pap exams & mammograms last year. That's when my breast cancer was found. Since October I've seen an average of 2 doctors per month. (Weekly in Jan & Feb for radiation.) NEVER AGAIN will I put off seeing my doctor, for any reason.
  • lisacrum
    lisacrum Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks so much for your feedback! I see that many of us have procrastinated on medical checkups over the scales issue...but doctors are so much more positive with you if they know you're working at it.

Bottom line, even when we don't like where we are, we still need to love ourselves...and then love ourselves too much to stay this way! I remember how freaked out I was the first time the nurse had to slide the scale weight to the 200 mark and then start nudging it over a few notches. After that I totally hated to go back for anything!

I challenge myself (and all of you) to brave those necessary medical tests and be willing to use the results as springboards for change. It's true, for a while we've been "happily ignorant" of the conditions hiding behind symptoms we pretend we don't have.

I'm reminding you, as well as myself, that even health professionals struggle with what we're dealing with. How many overweight doctors and nurses do you know? How many of them smoke, get too little sleep, battle depression, fight addictions or have to take prescription meds for health problems that came when they didn't take care of themselves? They're imperfect just like us, and we need to remember that and not be so intimidated.

Love yourself...God's still working on us all! :-)
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about this very issue. I have a gyn appontment (My annual) next month and I was thinking How I was chastised by my OBGYN for not exercising or losing my baby weight at my annual last year and how this year I can say I've lost almost 30 lbs and exercise 6-7 days aweek. In your face doc!