Is this normal?

Options
Hi! This is quite random but, I have been diagnosed IBS and take Smooth Move tea as per instructed by a doctor. In the mornings, when my stool is normal and "solid," my weight is usually normal or even down. If my stool is liquidy and also "diharerea-like" my weight will be up. Even when my stool is solid and I may not have fully gone, it is still lower than when I fully empty my colon from loose stool. Anyone have any insight as to why this may be? You would think it would be the other way around.
Thanks!

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Could be water retention or water weight fluctuations. I wouldn't rely solely on the # on the scale anyway. If you are actively trying to lose weight and get in better shape then take your measurements.
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have IBS, too. If you are having diarrhea, your intestinal motility is too high meaning that partially digested food travels through the small and large intestine too quickly usually through the process of cramping--and reverse for constipation. Either too much liquid is pulled from the stool resulting in constipation or too little liquid is pulled resulting in diarrhea. The brain is supposed to calculate the optimal motility to extract the most amount fluid into the blood stream while still keeping the stool soft enough to easily pass. However, for people with IBS and other digestive disorders, that does not happen. You lose more weight after a loose stool because water is aggregated in your large intestine and excreted (also causing dehydration) rather than being absorbed into the body.