Trainers - the good, the bad, the mediocre...

Options
I'm a pretty self-sufficient gym user - I read a lot, I set my own goals and research my own work-outs - but working at a recreation centre, I thought I'd take advantage of the chance to use one of the centre's trainers to make some suggestions to my training.

So I tell him - I do c25k 2-3 times a week, ride my horse 2-3 times a week, work full time, don't do mornings and don't really like classes. I'm doing cardio outside of the gym, so I really just want a strength program that I can smash out a couple of times a week.
So he sets up a 6 day schedule with classes to attend almost every day, and 2 on Saturday mornings.
I think I smiled politely, and then chose to completely ignore everything he'd recommended.
I was super unimpressed - he'd put absolutely no thought into my specific requirements, just banged out a standardised routine that completely didn't fit my lifestyle.
This guy is now managing the gym - which does not inspire me!

So tell me about your trainer experiences - who's gone above and beyond, who's sucked balls, who has just failed to impress?

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I personally have never worked with a PT but I worked in a gym and saw all different types. There are 2 that stand out. One was very much like you described. Same routine for everyone, didn't really think about it and just went through his daily routine with very little enthusiasm. The other was outstanding. Each client did something different each time and he worked them hard, but always enjoyed his time and they did as well. It's sad that there are the ones that just don't care and don't think. It really doesn't give people a reason to stick with a program :(
  • julialdr
    julialdr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have tried a number of PTs in my time but I have only ever had 1 which I thought was worth the money (sadly his visa got revoked!) I have issues with blood pressure and bad joints which means I need to be careful about the intensity/form of what I do and he was really great at accommodating those needs while still making me work really hard... plus he was a babe, which helped!!

The training to become a PT just isn't hard enough and too many come out with nothing but one size fits all plans which don't work for most people. That said, when you find a great one it can be awesome!
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    I'm a pretty self-sufficient gym user - I read a lot, I set my own goals and research my own work-outs - but working at a recreation centre, I thought I'd take advantage of the chance to use one of the centre's trainers to make some suggestions to my training.

So I tell him - I do c25k 2-3 times a week, ride my horse 2-3 times a week, work full time, don't do mornings and don't really like classes. I'm doing cardio outside of the gym, so I really just want a strength program that I can smash out a couple of times a week.
    So he sets up a 6 day schedule with classes to attend almost every day, and 2 on Saturday mornings.
    I think I smiled politely, and then chose to completely ignore everything he'd recommended.
    I was super unimpressed - he'd put absolutely no thought into my specific requirements, just banged out a standardised routine that completely didn't fit my lifestyle.
    This guy is now managing the gym - which does not inspire me!

So tell me about your trainer experiences - who's gone above and beyond, who's sucked balls, who has just failed to impress?

I don't know where to start with your trainer (no offence) Firstly it sounds like he didn't listen to you (in my opinion) Trainers are designed to ensure you get your results in the quickest way possible. Three major concerns that I would like to bring to light- 6 day schedule? Where is your rest day? (and I HATE rest days but know they are essential for recovery and rejuvenation); why is he making you do so much cardio?? and lastly two classes on Saturday?? Come on!

In my honest opinion? Fire his *kitten* (what my trainer would say)
    I am lucky I have the best trainer, been seeing him for a couple of months and don't really need him anymore as he has guided me in every way, shape and form but I thoroughly enjoy our sessions and getting my *kitten* kicked! Plus he is different from ANY other trainer I have had before with the his training and methods, and like me a genuine passionate person.

To differentiate, any trainer that plonks you in a cardio fuelled room 6 days a week, deserves to not have you as a client! You need a trainer that can introduce you to weight training :)

Hope that helps :)
  • shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Heh, lucky I didn't pay him anyway...
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    for a complete newbie to training, a decent trainer can be useful. if you are training for a particular sport, a sport specific trainer (golf, marathon or Olympic lifting for example) can be very useful. but for some shmo with a "cookie cutter/online certification" to whip out generic routines, it's a waste of time.