Daunting.

Options

Replies

• rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so very much for the replies. I consider myself to be an intelligent and very rational woman, especially when giving advice or dealing with others' situations, but I tend to let my emotions take control and become super irrational when dealing with my own life. After reading all of these comments, I wish I would have had the thought to step back and take a look at it the same way as you guys.

I love everything every single one of you said. It all makes complete sense. I never thought of it in terms of the fact that time will pass anyway, so why not continue making better choices and be even healthier then? As some of you mentioned, the weight loss is just a by-product of the healthier choices. I absolutely had never thought of it this way, and that's why my weight piles back on every single time. I get to an "end point" and just stop, thinking I am done. I am going to take all of your advice and just focus on eating well and exercising and not so much on the weight loss.
    I love the "it's hard being fat and hard getting fit", truer words have never been spoken! Binkybonk, I'm a "suck it up" kind of gal as well, so I love your advice. I never once thought about the daunting task ahead of me when starting college- I just knew it had to be done, so I did it, with very few complaints. I will do this the exact same way. It has to be done, so I'll just do it.
    I'm going to start taking it one day at a time, and just make sure I do the best I can every day.
    I never ever thought this website would have so many supportive people. You guys have absolutely pulled me out of my funk and, believe it or not, I do not find this journey daunting anymore. Thank you all again :)
    And if anybody would like to know- I am down 20 pounds in 45 days (I still have about 75 to lose) and I fit into my smaller size pants so easily this morning. I'm just going to start by celebrating the small stuff :)
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    rbfdac, it sounds like we are in the same boat (in terms of weight lost and pounds to lose). This is not daunting at all. It's actually pretty friggin' awesome. You are writing your success story right now. And in no time, someone will be reading your story and becoming inspired by it. In fact, that may already be happening!

Congrats on your smaller pants size. Anticipate lots of rewards like that in the future.
  • BRobertson23
    BRobertson23 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I can understand that daunting feeling. In fact, just earlier this year, I had resolved myself to thinking I would NEVER be under 200 pounds for the rest of my life. I just assumed I would never be able to do it. Mainly because I've been over 200 pounds for at least 15 years...at least, it was more than 15 years ago when I remember weighing under 200, but even then, I'm pretty sure the scale was at like 192 or something like that.

Start with simple changes and commit to them. For example, commit to walking 30 minutes every day, or just 3 times a week. Do it CONSISTENTLY. After 2-3 weeks, you'll develop a pattern of behavior and feel good about sticking to it. Focus on how you FEEL after doing this activity. I always felt refreshed and if I ate something "heavy", it made me feel a bit better. The other simple thing: drink more water. These two changes can create a drop in weight that you'll be able to see on the scale. My mom did these things and she was visibly less "puffy" through her face and she wasn't as bloated. She was able to drop 10 pounds in 2 weeks and maintained it going into week 3. This is a woman in her 60's going through menopause.

Track your success by pictures and measuring. If your scale isn't moving, maybe the inches will look different because you've built muscle.

I think one of the MAJOR keys to success is having a partner to do this with. Someone who will commit to this weight loss with you. I'm fortunate that my spouse is doing it with me, but anyone who will be a supporter or challenger to you is going to help you get through the tough stuff.

Weightloss is WORK! It takes time and making the CHOICE to eat better and be active. The pay off is worth it! You can do this! Find your buddy, make your simple changes and commit to it. You got this!!
  • Beanogirl
    Beanogirl Posts: 97 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Congratulations on your success so far. Please don't be put off. This isn't a race. It sounds like you are doing really well.

I have lost 3stone 2lbs so far. I have another 12lbs to go to my target weight. I started in March 2014. I break everything down into little bite size (no pun intended) pieces. So, my goal at present is to lose 6lbs as this will take me under 10 stone for the first time I can remember. All I am concentrating on is this 6lbs. I'll worry about the next 6lbs when I get there. I expect to have to count calories for the rest of my life but I can live with it. This, for me, is about the rest of my life because I am not going through this again. It's a fact I can't be trusted without having something to make me aware of what I am eating!
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all of the replies, so I am sure I will be repeating some of the same things others have said. Please, don't let this journey and the number overwhelm you! Break that bigger goal into smaller pieces that are manageable to you. Take one day at a time, and don't completely try to eliminate anything from your diet (unless there is a medically indicated reason). Not allowing yourself to ever have a cookie again, or whatever your favorite "bad food" may be will only lead to potential cravings and binge sessions. No food is truly "bad" anyway. Just remember, all things in moderation, and you will be fine.

For me, my motivation initially came from just being sick and tired of being sick and tired all the stinking time. I decided it was ok to be selfish and want to do this for me, and no one else. Doing it for someone else doesn't always work anyway, at least for me. And, ultimately, doing it for yourself is benefitting the rest of your family too, when you become healthier.

I have had times where my motivation has waned, and it is has been hard to make the right choices day in and day out. At that point, I have been doing most of this long enough that it is now a habit, and it's just what I do. I know in the end I will feel better by only having one slice of cake, and not eating the whole thing. I know that going to the gym and working out with kettle bells or heading over to the park for a walk or run will make me feel energized and ready to do whatever comes next for the day. Other things that keep me going include seeing how far I have already come, and knowing that I can make it to my goal if I just continuing doing the same things; hearing from friends, family, and coworkers how great I look; and having my personal trainer tell me what an inspiration I am to him and others.

I'm not at my goal yet, but I am getting there. Once I do reach that number, I will have lost over 100 pounds, something that I once was convinced would be impossible to do. The fact that I have been able to do it is something I am very proud of. There have been ups and downs along the way, and I am sure there will continue to be more of both, but it is definitely a journey I am glad I undertook.

Keep your head up, think positive thoughts, and believe in yourself. Congrats on the 25 pounds you've already lost! Your 25% of the way to your goal!

52347977.png
  • tropic80girl
    tropic80girl Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »
    rbfdac, it sounds like we are in the same boat (in terms of weight lost and pounds to lose). This is not daunting at all. It's actually pretty friggin' awesome. You are writing your success story right now. And in no time, someone will be reading your story and becoming inspired by it. In fact, that may already be happening!

Congrats on your smaller pants size. Anticipate lots of rewards like that in the future.

She is, this girl read the OP and thought.. oh my, yes! me too!.. and then I kept reading.. and I see the twenty pound loss with 75 to go... I want that and I'm jealous, but motivated too =)
  • rbfdac
    Options

She is, this girl read the OP and thought.. oh my, yes! me too!.. and then I kept reading.. and I see the twenty pound loss with 75 to go... I want that and I'm jealous, but motivated too =)

This is awesome. I never in my life would think I could motivate anybody at all. If I can do it, you definitely can do it! We've got this!!! :)
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »
    I'm going to start taking it one day at a time, and just make sure I do the best I can every day.
    Great stuff!! :) Really when you think about it - it is the only thing you can do :)
    You are writing your success story right now.
    I absolutely love that! :D And it's so true. A story doesn't happen over night in one second. It is the journey to get there. All the great books I love to read didn't magically appear one night. Their authors had to sit down and put blood sweat and tears into writing them so I can enjoy them. I am my own story's author. :) What a great view!

And with that in mind:
    And if anybody would like to know- I am down 20 pounds in 45 days (I still have about 75 to lose) and I fit into my smaller size pants so easily this morning. I'm just going to start by celebrating the small stuff :)
    :clap: (Ha no idea if that is a emoticon - if it's not it bloody well should be!)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Well, def avoid reading things/looking at pictures that depress you. I can relate to that... ppls ripped flat abs and I know I won't ever look like that.... Bleh! instead, make it all about YOU and your health. Doing it one day at a time to improve your health and your looks. I do better NOT reading other ppl's progress, pix, etc because the people posting the most of those are the ones that have turned into bodybuilders or something. Unlike me. Just, get some exercise today, eat healthy today, and each today that follows.
  • hayleyjane127
    Options
    “Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty… I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.”

-Theodore Roosevelt

or more succinctly, "nothing worth doing is ever easy"
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If you can lose 1lb you can lose 50 or 100... or whatever your goal is. Its just a matter of focusing on that next 1 or 5lb goal and sticking with it till you achieve success. Once you reach that goal...repeat! Its a lot more manageable to think about those small changes rather than the big picture. :)
  • rbfdac
    Options
    Again, y'all are right! It's much easier to just look at these few pounds in front of me. Next thing I know (hopefully!) they'll all add up to one big number!
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Success stories are motivating for me, but cautionary tales on obesity are a lot more motivating. You know how juvenile delinquents will be taken to visit hardcore criminals serving life sentences in a prison for a day to show them the path they are headed towards if they don't change their ways?
    Documentaries on Obesity, super obesity, etc, which feature very obese persons can be very motivating in a cautionary tale sort of way. Sometimes listening to destructive mentalities and seeing destructive behaviors and the culmination of both in a very obese person can be very motivating. Esp if you notice any similarities in their thinking and your own, and their behaviors and your own. Sometimes seeing a very bad situation from the outside can be helpful.
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I was told "read the success stories, it'll motivate you!", so I did. Now I only find this process even more daunting. For two reasons:

1. I'll admit it. I'm jealous. I'm jealous that all of these people have finished losing weight and look great. I'm jealous that I didn't start a long time ago and that I could be where they are now, but I'm not. I don't feel motivation, I feel jealousy. Wrong emotion, here.
    2. When I read a story and look at the pics and start to feel slightly motivated i.e "Oh, look! They lost 75, 100 lbs! I can too. I got this!", I then read the part where they say "When I started my journey TWO years ago"..... and find myself wanting to melt into a puddle and cry. A year, I think I can do, but I'm not even sure of that! After all, my son is almost a year old now and the time has flown by so fast, it's unbelievable, so maybe. Two years, I can't even comprehend and find quite daunting. If anything could make me run from this lifestyle change, it's probably the word "years".

I understand that two years of my life spent getting healthy is nothing compared to the increased quality of life and additional possible years added on to my life. I understand it took me a hell of a lot longer than a year or two to put on this weight. I also understand that this is a lifestyle change and, therefore, shouldn't be looked at as "Two years of eating healthy" and be quite so daunting. Yet, it is. I think I can handle this lifestyle long term. I am not starving, I eat plenty and whatnot, so that part is okay. But the feeling that I am going to have to function in this fat body, just waiting patiently for the pounds to shed and reveal my nicer body is just.......... ugh.

I want to say "Show me all of the success stories where you lost 75 pounds in six months so I feel better about the road ahead and can be super motivated", but instead I'm going to request some support from those of you who have made it that far. Did you ever feel this way? Did you ever find this process daunting? How in the world were you okay with your "body under construction" for the months, year, years it took to get there??

I get it!!!
    But you forget that people here post when they are proud. For most, that at their goal weight. But most people feel confident a few pounds before they reach goal.
    For me, I am one year into this. 4 lbs from goal weight. The first 2/3 of the weight I lost fast. Then I felt good and the weight loss slowed diwn quite a bit. Those last 10lbs will have taken me almost half of the time!
    So, yes, the whole process takes a while. But you will feel better earlier than that.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    For me it's a life-long process of just being the best version of myself.
    When I began, I was 278, and it took 2 years to lose the weight and reach my goal of 185. I have maintained this for 3 years now.
    You need to think long-term, set your goals, then just begin and enjoy the journey.
    az8donwsmou9.png
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I refused to weigh myself before I started. I was scared that if I saw the actual number on the scale I would say to heck with it and not even try. I didn't weigh until my clothes started falling off and then I was still well over 300lbs. Yes I've been at this for 3 years, but truth be told the bulk of my loss was in the first year and half. This last year has been spent increasing my calories to rebuild my metab. I work my butt of exercise wise but I love it. Is it a struggle? yes it is and it will be for the rest of my life, but I never ever want to go back to where I was before. I'm loving the new me and can't wait to see me as the finished product. I'm not there, but I will be one day. 203lbs lost with 60 to 70 still to go. Let's get it done.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    A quote that spurred me on when I felt like you do goes something like: "Don't worry about how long it will take. The time will pass either way."
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I understand, I felt daunted when I thought about how long it would take me to reach goal as well. But you must understand that it doesn't end, you just transition to maintenance. I have kept that in mind the entire time. It's now been a little over 6 months, I've lost 46lbs, and it's flown by. This is because I have never made a change I could not live with long term. I did not cut out foods that I want to eat. If I want a treat, I make room for it, I don't deny myself. Because of this, this is something I can honestly see myself sticking to forever, because nothing I want to eat is off limits.
  • rbfdac
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Success stories are motivating for me, but cautionary tales on obesity are a lot more motivating. You know how juvenile delinquents will be taken to visit hardcore criminals serving life sentences in a prison for a day to show them the path they are headed towards if they don't change their ways?
    Documentaries on Obesity, super obesity, etc, which feature very obese persons can be very motivating in a cautionary tale sort of way. Sometimes listening to destructive mentalities and seeing destructive behaviors and the culmination of both in a very obese person can be very motivating. Esp if you notice any similarities in their thinking and your own, and their behaviors and your own. Sometimes seeing a very bad situation from the outside can be helpful.

It's good to hear you say this, because sometimes when I am feeling less than motivated I like to watch obesity documentaries or the British show "Supersize vs. Superskinny". I definitely think "oh, I am so glad I decided to do this" after watching those.

Again, thank all of you guys for your kind words. I'll get there. I've actually lost another 5 pounds since the original post (well, since the last weigh in a few days before my OP). And don't worry, 5 lbs in not the norm, I must have been holding on to some water weight or something! :)

I am so motivated by all of these comments. I know I will get there this time! I've only got 50 more pounds to go!

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I think you're forgetting how happy you'll be as you lose weight along the way. Yes, two years is a long time, but as you get smaller and start looking and feeling better, you'll be more and more motivated to continue with your new way of eating and exercising. You might learn new recipes, take up an activity you had never tried (or never been able to), the possibilities are endless!

Start today! You'll wish you had. As someone else said, those two years are going to pass either way...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!