Getting in shape for ski season

Options
2»

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    skiing is a strenuous activity, be prepared for it.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I fully agree with a lifting program! I've been skiing since I was about 6 years old, I ran track in high school and part of college and the years where I did some serious leg training, the slopes felt easier, I didn't get tired, and I was more willing to go down double diamonds. Lifting, especially leg and core work, made a significant difference!
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Last year I really started heavy lifting doing Squats, lunges and other accessories like box jumps and saw a HUGE improvement in my skiing last season. I could charge the hill faster and stronger and I definitely could ski longer. I am a very aggressive skier so I used to get tired about a few straight hours of ripping. During my trip last year to VT I skied a full 8 hours both days and still had some left in the tank. My friends were all at the bar waiting for me to finish up
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Speaking of skiing....anyone picking up new gear this year? I am going into my 5th season on my Volkl Bridges but I am already shopping. I have been very happy with this ski but I want something new. I am looking at the Line Sick Day 95 or Line Supernatural's. I guess I could just get the new Volkl Bridges
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Speaking of skiing....anyone picking up new gear this year? I am going into my 5th season on my Volkl Bridges but I am already shopping. I have been very happy with this ski but I want something new. I am looking at the Line Sick Day 95 or Line Supernatural's. I guess I could just get the new Volkl Bridges

I could get into long discussions about women's skis, but I'm not all that well versed on the men's ones. Try EpicSki or SnowHeads -- the folks there'll give you LOTS of advice. :)

...For the ladies, try the Ski Diva forum.