Lowest calories for complete RDA

Options
13»

Replies

• nicolalane716
    nicolalane716 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My personal view is that if you are using foods commonly found in a supermarket then to make sure you have all the essential vitamins/minerals fats and proteins you are likely to either be a real hotshot dietitian and go for a minimum of 800 - or 1200 to be safe, especially if you aren't a dietitian and you are trying to work from textbooks.

But I have no proof of that! Does anyone have any ideas where I can find a respectable dietitian, textbook or study that I can point to and say "look respected person agrees, you can't design a nutritionally complete diet that is only 600 cals a day"
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    But I have no proof of that! Does anyone have any ideas where I can find a respectable dietitian, textbook or study that I can point to and say "look respected person agrees, you can't design a nutritionally complete diet that is only 600 cals a day"

Look at Slim fast, Optifast and similar products you'll see 100% nutrition achieved via a pile of specific additives. I did spend half a day once wringing out 100% RDA from 1200 cals of food, it is achievable but not easy and you end up with lots of different foods in small portions.
  • nicolalane716
    nicolalane716 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know you can get 100% RDA from commercial products designed for that - but what are the minimum cals you need to get 100% RDA from "ordinary" foods - with an authority reference.