Waist Measurement Help

Options
Ok, perhaps an odd question, but WHERE are you supposed to measure your waist? The smallest part? The place where your pants waist sits? The line at the belly button? I've heard all of them, so I'm looking for a consensus. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I've seen both at your narrowest (true waist) and at navel. I'd say measure both as separate measurements but both relating to waist. So "navel waist," "true waist" or something like that.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    i measure smallest and biggest waist (slightly under navel for me). My goal is to get my biggest waist under 35 in.
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    i measure smallest and biggest waist (slightly under navel for me). My goal is to get my biggest waist under 35 in.

Under 35 is good for a woman. That's my aim, too... except I'm not sure just where that measurement is supposed to be done.
  • ana3067
    Options
    CariJean64 wrote: »

Under 35 is good for a woman. That's my aim, too... except I'm not sure just where that measurement is supposed to be done.
    I think that the 35in measurement pertains to the belly button area.
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I measure over my belly button, just cuz that's a "pre-marked" spot, for consistency. But, I'm planning on measuring "paint waist" too (aka muffin top), cuz that seems to be shrinking faster than the "belly button" area.
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    CariJean64 wrote: »

Really??? I'm at 35 now and to be in a good BMI still have to loose 30-50lbs. I was not aware of that number...
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Your true waist sits above your belly button. Measure at the narrowest part of your torso . For those people that are very overweight and don't have an obvious waist bend to one side letting your arm drop straight down the side of your body. Then bend directly the other way. Measure your waist as the spot your body naturally bends.
    When measuring your STOMACH you bring the measuring tape directly around your lower back across your navel (belly button).

This is how you get your true measurements. Like if you were being fitted by a tailor.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    When people asking me waist measurement I give them my true/natural waist :) But I keep track of the measurement right above my belly button and at my belly button too.
  • MsHarryWinston
    Options

Your waist is actually only one single part of your body and it's above your navel. Hope that helps. :smiley:
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Measurement charts have waist at smallest part and abdomen at navel.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Okay this makes me feel better that I am not lying about my waist measurement. 27 sounds better than whatever is going on at abdomen level.
  • LadyLots2Lose
    LadyLots2Lose Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Your true waist sits above your belly button. Measure at the narrowest part of your torso . For those people that are very overweight and don't have an obvious waist bend to one side letting your arm drop straight down the side of your body. Then bend directly the other way. Measure your waist as the spot your body naturally bends.
    When measuring your STOMACH you bring the measuring tape directly around your lower back across your navel (belly button).

This is how you get your true measurements. Like if you were being fitted by a tailor.

Thanks for that. Your answer clears it up considerably for me.
  • MsHarryWinston
    Options
    r07chelcn3ic.jpg

This might help you guys
  • ana3067
    Options
    r07chelcn3ic.jpg

This might help you guys
    her bum looks like an animal's face. can't pinpoint which animal, thouhg.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options

I sew a lot, and this is where I measure for my waist measurement. I wasn't aware that there was any other place you might measure, but I'm just a girl, lol.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    For those of us who are very short-waisted, it could be tricky to figure out exactly where to measure, especially if there's only an inch or two of space between the ribcage and hipbone. My natural waist measurement is pretty close to my under-bust measurement, as a result. But my belly button measurement is the one I most care about, since that's where I wear a pair of jeans.
  • arditarose
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    r07chelcn3ic.jpg

This might help you guys
    her bum looks like an animal's face. can't pinpoint which animal, thouhg.

The hip measurement seems off on this. I measure my hips at the fullest.

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Well I was taught that the health guidelines regarding waist circumference are measured at the widest part (generally close to the naval). So if you are seeking to be below 35" (for women), it's not the true waist but the largest measurement you need to monitor. I actually refer to them as waist and belly.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Well I was taught that the health guidelines regarding waist circumference are measured at the widest part (generally close to the naval). So if you are seeking to be below 35" (for women), it's not the true waist but the largest measurement you need to monitor. I actually refer to them as waist and belly.

That could be. But I'm definitely not going around saying my waist measurement is the one that is largest anytime soon. I think in terms of dressing, the natural waist is right. I'm going to look into the health guidelines now.