Only squatting the bar

13»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    yoovie wrote: »
    ^~~~ DO NOT EVER DO THIS. Under no circumstances should you ever squat while looking sideways or having your head turned.

If you HAVE to see your reflection, turn 3/4 instead of half, so you can see in your peripheral vision, but DONT turn your head. PLEASE.

depending on the weight your using - it's not that serious.
    - I'd be more than comfortable turning my head under 150 pounds. although I wouldn't make it a habit.

Checking visually straight on- and videoing side on is the best option.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    well, some of us find it more serious than others, it's all opinion - but mine is better safe than sorry. others are more like -wgaf?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    While I agree safety is important- I suspect even if the bar is you're working weight a quick side check isn't going to kill you or cause you to snap your spine- obviously working within your own range is important- but I think it's probably just not as effective a method. Less about safety and more about getting the right perspective and you can only do/see so much from a side angle like that.

But scaring someone isn't helpful either.
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    edited November 2014
    There are lots of form videos out there. I have found this one to be the most helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs_Ej32IYgo

He shows lots of examples of both how to do things and how NOT to do them. I rewatch it every so often to make sure I am keeping all the important points in mind.

(Edited to add: I was surprised by the picture that came up for the video link. It looks ridiculous! But trust me that it is informative.)