Am I overdoing the protein???

Options
Hi all, I would appreciate your opinions on my food diary.

I am trying to bulk at present.

Stats: 5'6" 112lbs
Calories: 2,600 plus extra for exercise
Programme: German Volume Training 3xper week (each session takes about an hour), some cardio with friends at weekends

I have recently upped my protein intake to compensate for the amount of lifting I am doing, but am worried I might be eating too much of it! I don't tolerate fat very well, so my ratios work out about 45%protein, 40%carbs 15%fat

Does my diary look OK to you? The German VT programme is certainly making me hungry (OK - starving!) which is making it easier to reach my calorie goals, but I don't want to be doing myself any damage by overdoing the protein.

Your opinions would be very helpful.

Replies

• karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
    Nope sounds good.....I do 40/40/20 (P/C/F) for ratios....its a good middle of the road combination. Enough protein, good amt carbs for workout........
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    unless you have kidney problems its probably not too much protein. if you're gaining the amount you want each week then you're doing it right.
  • BIGDOGFitness
    BIGDOGFitness Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I were you I would increase my Carbs over my Proteins, it looks like you need most of it to be energy at 2600 calories.
    In my personal opinion I think your split should be 35/50/15 (P/C/F). With your body weight if you need those 2600 calories you should be fine with 228 grams of protein.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I would appreciate your opinions on my food diary.

I am trying to bulk at present.

Stats: 5'6" 112lbs
    Calories: 2,600 plus extra for exercise
    Programme: German Volume Training 3xper week (each session takes about an hour), some cardio with friends at weekends

I have recently upped my protein intake to compensate for the amount of lifting I am doing, but am worried I might be eating too much of it! I don't tolerate fat very well, so my ratios work out about 45%protein, 40%carbs 15%fat

Does my diary look OK to you? The German VT programme is certainly making me hungry (OK - starving!) which is making it easier to reach my calorie goals, but I don't want to be doing myself any damage by overdoing the protein.

Your opinions would be very helpful.

So, you are asking if 293 grams of protein is too much for someone on a bulk and weighs 112 pounds? Yes, this is not optimal, ideal, or remotely close to fine. 2600/45=1,170

1,170/4=292.5 (I rounded up) unless my math sucks(and it may) you are providing entirely too much on a day-to-day basis for your body.

If you feel it is adequate I'd suggest at least researching how the body handles excess MACROS like Protein.

And to pull a quote from the Karate Kid "Karate yes, or Karate no, like chicken crossing street. Karate maybe "SQUUEKK" just like a chicken" So middle of the road usually ends poorly for the chicken just like someone eating this much Protein. PS--I paraphrased the Karate Kid quote...best of luck.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Seems a little high but as long as your body can handle it than it's probably not doing you any harm. With your numbers I would normally recommend lower protein and higher fat but you indicate an issue with fat but if you can up your fat and lower your protein a bit I would recommend that. A high protein/low fat diet tends to be very hard to stick to since it's hard to find a good variety of foods that are high protein without a lot of fat.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    like others have said, no it should not be a problem, but you may want to consider addjusting your numbers…I am bulking right now and doing 35p 35c 30 fats….
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    My MFP puts my target protein intake at 260g/day on those ratios. Most of my protein is from chicken & eggs, as I will sit and eat my way through a huge bag of cooked chicken like it was popcorn - nom nom nom. I do have shakes as well, with breakfast and then before bed. I used to have the opposite problem - my diet was virtually all carbs! I was only getting in about 100g of protein on a good day - my trainer dispaired of me ;-)
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited October 2014
    Options
    My MFP puts my target protein intake at 260g/day on those ratios. Most of my protein is from chicken & eggs, as I will sit and eat my way through a huge bag of cooked chicken like it was popcorn - nom nom nom. I do have shakes as well, with breakfast and then before bed. I used to have the opposite problem - my diet was virtually all carbs! I was only getting in about 100g of protein on a good day - my trainer dispaired of me ;-)

100g of protein shouldn't be an issue. I wonder if either your trainer is a broscience follower of the mythical 1.5g to 2g/lb or just didn't like your carbs so high. Either way, 100g-150g should also be sufficently high enough for even your German VT program since you are only able to use so much protein and the current body of research seems to show indications of overnutrition at just shy of 1g/lb (based on leucine oxidation measures IIRC).

ETA again, no issue with what I see in your protein intake but if you are concerned you might want to see an RD about options and also to see if it's all fats or just some fats you have issues with. My view as that the more flexible your diet the better in the long run.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    No offense to anyone, but I have to question the credibility of some of these responses. 250-290 grams of protein for a 112 pound female is beyond crazy, unless we're talking about someone who is doing extreme amounts of vigorous exercise a day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    No offense to anyone, but I have to question the credibility of some of these responses. 250-290 grams of protein for a 112 pound female is beyond crazy, unless we're talking about someone who is doing extreme amounts of vigorous exercise a day.

there may not be a NEED for that much, but is it really going to do much harm?
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited October 2014
    Options

It's not a need but you have to fill your calories with something and she is using protein for calories more than for tissue maintenance/building. We understand that very well but the question is more of harm and it's not likely harmful. Not only that, even with extreme amounts of exercise she wouldn't be able to utilize that much protein and we know that but it sounds like you think maybe she could and you would be wrong.

ETA now if we are talking someone with extremely low BF%, extreme exercise AND pharma enhancements then maybe they could utilize 1.5g/lb but a normal person never could.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Only to the people around her when she's eating 300g of protein/day as a petite female.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    You're probably consuming at least 2x the amount of protein that you could likely utilize for muscle building purposes. Which basically means you're eating very expensive carbohydrates.

I'm not claiming that it's dangerous, but it's not likely doing you any favors unless the only way you can maximize your satiety is by eating that much protein.

I would see what happens when you crank carbs up substantially in favor of protein and perhaps a little additional fat to see how it influences training performance and satiety.

When you say you don't "tolerate" fat very well, what do you mean?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    You're probably consuming at least 2x the amount of protein that you could likely utilize for muscle building purposes. Which basically means you're eating very expensive carbohydrates.

I'm not claiming that it's dangerous, but it's not likely doing you any favors unless the only way you can maximize your satiety is by eating that much protein.

I would see what happens when you crank carbs up substantially in favor of protein and perhaps a little additional fat to see how it influences training performance and satiety.

When you say you don't "tolerate" fat very well, what do you mean?

Sounds good to me.

I think I read 52% of protein can be turned into glucose in the blood stream.

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

It is indeed possible that there may be harm. http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/03/protein-for-athletes/

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    112 lbs scale weight... she's probably at 300% of the amount of protein she could get any sort of benefit from. There are a lot of people who go overboard on protein consumption, but this is probably the most extreme example I've seen. Eat some carbs.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited October 2014
    Options
    parkscs wrote: »
    112 lbs scale weight... she's probably at 300% of the amount of protein she could get any sort of benefit from. There are a lot of people who go overboard on protein consumption, but this is probably the most extreme example I've seen. Eat some carbs.

If this is the most extreme example then you need to hit some of the body building forums! ;)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    250g+ for a small woman IS a lot- but if you feel good- I wouldn't sweat it honestly.