Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Could use jut a LITTLE motivation

I know I'm probably being too hard on myself, but I've been doing a C25K program and have been doing it all on a tread mill until today, when I went on my first run outside. I always heard running outside would be a bit more difficult, but I felt beat down trying to run. At least the treadmill 'made' me, or helped me, stay at a steady pace. I DID finish 2.25 miles, more walking than running, but I did complete it. My original goal was to do a 5K June 1st, but I'm glad I didn't sign up for it after today. I know it's not going to happen overnight, but for some reason I let today bother me. Oh we'll, tomorrow is another day, right? Thanks for listening....

Replies

• ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Bump
  • ken_hogan
    No help? Really? Thanks though...
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    That's great that you did 2.25 miles... you have to start somewhere!

I'm not really a runner at this point, but I'm sure that if you keep at it, it will get easier. Maybe you'll be able to sign up for the next 5K.

Good luck!
  • deli919
    deli919 Posts: 3 Member
    I'm new to this, but I did see your post and wanted to send some encouragement your way.... Don't let the little BUMP of today determined your tomorrow. Take it one day at a time, start walking/running around your neighborhood give yourself a destination adding a 1/2 mile at a time, you will get to 5K before you know it and it will be easy and fun. Good Luck~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    I have the same trouble with just WALKING! LOL! It's much easier on the treadmill than outside. On the treadmill I am up to going a slow 2 mph, but outside I cannot keep up that pace. Probably because it's gravel is part of the reason, and uneven, but I never thought it would be that much different. It will get better though once you get used to it. My hips were killing me even on the treadmill, but that seems to have worked itself out so now I am going to try walking outdoors again (when the rain stops.) I also have a bad knee, and hanging on to the treadmill helps in that regard too.
  • craziecritter
    craziecritter Posts: 202 Member
    After I had open heart surgery the doctor told me to stay off the treadmill and go out and walk! And, yes it is harder to walk outside than on the treadmill I found that out. You have done great on the treadmill. Like one member said just add 1/2 mile at a time. And, remember you do have to walk back!!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    I feel the same way, I think the treadmill definitely helps..I can go much longer on treadmill! I think 2.25 miles is great though, I can't run that ! Add me if you want :)
  • wins1219
    wins1219 Posts: 17 Member
    Don't be so hard on yourself! If you were great at everything you tried, there would be little room for improvement! Keep up the hard work and you'll get there.
  • betsychange
    betsychange Posts: 67 Member
    "Progress, not perfection" is the pep talk you should give yourself today. Seems to me you are doing 100% better than the people who are still sitting on the couch... and you are waaaaaaay closer to "5K" than you are to the "couch", so pat yourself on the back. I read once (here's the link: http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/treadmill-vs-running-outside/ ), that putting the treadmill on a 1% grade simulates running outdoors. You could try adjusting the treadmill so the switch to the great outdoors is a little easier. Running outdoors has soooo many more variables: humidity, incline, surface, air temperature etc., so don't be too rough on yourself. And congratulations on sticking with the plan! Remember: Progress, not Perfection!
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    You shouldn't be so hard on yourself. As long as you ran further or faster than last time, then you've got nothing to worry about!! Like the poster above said: Progress, not perfection.
  • ken_hogan
    Thanks everyone....