IIFYM AND CHEAT MEALS.

Options
Okay so here's my question.
I know a lot of people use the IIFYM method and don't have cheat meals because you all fit thing like pizza and stuff like that in your micros.
I eat healthy during the week and just recently started adding a bag of chips of some cookies in my micros pretty easily. This really helps me because I had a problem with eating enough calories and when I eat a lil junk it helps me eat more than 1,330 calories. I know I can eat something more healthy like peanuts or something, but I'd prefer to fit the junk food in!
Anyways, I now end up with a net calorie at 1330-1550. Still pretty low. I excerise a lot 6-7 days a week. So I'm planning on rewarding myself with a cheat meal tommarrow which consist of a half of a large pizza & large chilli cheese fries. Unless I burn a thousand calories, ain't no way that's fitting in my micros. So my question is do anyone on here eating healthy meals and include a small bag of chips or something in their diets during the week and have a weekly cheat meal ? I'd honestly perfer to do it like this.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    1/2 of a large pizza and a large chilli fries is certainly full of reward and I'm sure that over the course it won't have much of an effect....Personally I couldn't eat 1/2 of a large pizza and a large chili fries.....unless I made it myself. lol
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I fit all sorts of odds & ends into my nutrition range. Note: I'm at maintenance now, but even when I was losing I'd have 1-2 days a month where I'd eat at maintenance or a little higher. I didn't consider it a cheat. Cheating is something dishonest. If you make a choice, log, and move on: how is that cheating?

The way I saw it, eating at maintenance meant no direct weight loss that day. Eating 500-1000 above maintenance (occasionally) meant no direct weight loss for 2-3 days that week. No big deal when I expect to be on this earth for many years to come.

If your goal is to lose 2 pounds a week then you have a deficit of 1000/day. If you eat ~2300-3300 then you're just negating the weight loss effort of 1-2 days. Not a big deal.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I fit all my goods in there. There is no way I could eat half of a pizza though.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    1/2 of a large pizza and a large chilli fries is certainly full of reward and I'm sure that over the course it won't have much of an effect....Personally I couldn't eat 1/2 of a large pizza and a large chili fries.....unless I made it myself. lol

You might be surprised that you'll no longer will be able to stomach 1/2 of a whole pizza and chilli fries. I bet after the 2nd slice you'll be full.

• JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I think if it feels good to you, then do it :) If you have been eating well for a long period of time, I'd be surprised if you could eat as much as you say you plan to. haha. It's worth a try!
  • shonako
    shonako Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    JayRuby84 wrote: »
    I think if it feels good to you, then do it :) If you have been eating well for a long period of time, I'd be surprised if you could eat as much as you say you plan to. haha. It's worth a try!

Hahaha. I don't even think I can do it. Last Time I tried to eat a medium pizza only ate half. But I'm going out with my brother this week and he wanted me to to take a break from my diet this meal so imma try to out eat him. Lol
  • shonako
    shonako Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I fit all my goods in there. There is no way I could eat half of a pizza though.

Have you seen a difference in your progress between being on a clean diet and IIFYM? Or have you lost weight regardless of what you ate as long as you was at a calorie deflict? I want to understand this IIFYM a bit more lol.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    shonako wrote: »

Have you seen a difference in your progress between being on a clean diet and IIFYM? Or have you lost weight regardless of what you ate as long as you was at a calorie deflict? I want to understand this IIFYM a bit more lol.

Not Lis but posting my experience...

Lost 50ish lbs when I was 19, just "ate clean" and did way too much cardio. Probably didn't eat enough either. Was somewhat skinny-fat, didn't like my stomach.

I'm thinking that I might need to get back down to the same weight (140) to get my desired body composition this time, which would kind of suck because that's... a lot of weight left lol. But otherwise, i've lost 20ish lbs with IIFYM. All that matters is a deficit, protien and lifting for body composition.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people use the IIFYM method and don't have cheat meals because you all fit thing like pizza and stuff like that in your micros.
    I eat healthy during the week and just recently started adding a bag of chips of some cookies in my micros pretty easily. This really helps me because I had a problem with eating enough calories and when I eat a lil junk it helps me eat more than 1,330 calories. I know I can eat something more healthy like peanuts or something, but I'd prefer to fit the junk food in!
    Anyways, I now end up with a net calorie at 1330-1550. Still pretty low. I excerise a lot 6-7 days a week. So I'm planning on rewarding myself with a cheat meal tommarrow which consist of a half of a large pizza & large chilli cheese fries. Unless I burn a thousand calories, ain't no way that's fitting in my micros. So my question is do anyone on here eating healthy meals and include a small bag of chips or something in their diets during the week and have a weekly cheat meal ? I'd honestly perfer to do it like this.

It sounds like to me 'cheat meals' is a program for long term failure with an even higher max weight cycle. People that get fat because they eat too much got fat because they were cheating on reality. I may be dense but the whole 'cheat meals' talk sounds like someone is at heart a 'cheater' in their heart/mind.

In time would not that lead to having Fat Tuesday seven days a week?

• ana3067
    Options

It sounds like to me 'cheat meals' is a program for long term failure with an even higher max weight cycle. People that get fat because they eat too much got fat because they were cheating on reality. I may be dense but the whole 'cheat meals' talk sounds like someone is at heart a 'cheater' in their heart/mind.

People get fat because they eat too many calories. Has nothing to do with reality. Or cheating on reality. That doesn't even make sense.
    Eating pizza and beer can be done regularly and can fit within one's caloric needs. If someone feels compelled to do a "cheat" day (which I personally do not advise - I think it works much better to eat these things whenever you want and within your macros for the day, as stated by the IIFYM title itself) then they will not gain weight if the total weekly average is at maintenance or below maintenance needs.

• ana3067
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    OP, go have your pizza and fries. Enjoy. But think about it, is it really necessary to plan for 1/2 a pie? It sounds more like you want to just eat a lot of food you like rather than have something you enjoy. It's kind of like saying it's either a pretty planned binge or relaxing for a day and having a few things you live without racking your brain. I would suspect that if you planned for 2 slices and fries instead of a half pie you might not be stressing it so much.

This game is a mind f#$@ Don't let it win.

Or just don't plan at all, it's fine to have a day where you don't know how much you are eating.

Or pre-log that half pie right now and see how much it amounts to. If it's not so much that you can easily eat comfortably at maintenance, then pre-log it and give yourself that allowance. If on teh day you only eat half of what you logged, then change it and either eat other food to make up for it, or just eat however much you want to below your maintenance needs.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

People get fat because they eat too many calories. Has nothing to do with reality. Or cheating on reality. That doesn't even make sense.
    Eating pizza and beer can be done regularly and can fit within one's caloric needs. If someone feels compelled to do a "cheat" day (which I personally do not advise - I think it works much better to eat these things whenever you want and within your macros for the day, as stated by the IIFYM title itself) then they will not gain weight if the total weekly average is at maintenance or below maintenance needs.

^^ this---again its simple -calories in/calories out
  • ana3067
    Options
    OP, go have your pizza and fries. Enjoy. But think about it, is it really necessary to plan for 1/2 a pie? It sounds more like you want to just eat a lot of food you like rather than have something you enjoy. It's kind of like saying it's either a pretty planned binge or relaxing for a day and having a few things you live without racking your brain. I would suspect that if you planned for 2 slices and fries instead of a half pie you might not be stressing it so much.

This game is a mind f#$@ Don't let it win.

Or just don't plan at all, it's fine to have a day where you don't know how much you are eating.

Or pre-log that half pie right now and see how much it amounts to. If it's not so much that you can easily eat comfortably at maintenance, then pre-log it and give yourself that allowance. If on teh day you only eat half of what you logged, then change it and either eat other food to make up for it, or just eat however much you want to below your maintenance needs.

I'm in no way say it has to be one way or the other. If someone wants to take a day here and there and not log then by all means go ahead. If you're making the progress you want them great, keep it up. If one day you find you actually stall, a real stall of weeks then keep in mind that that factor is present and should be accounted for. I'm not one that says someone needs to log every day for the rest of their lives. I mean look at my logs, I stopped logging months ago, because I have a handle on it. But for over a year and a half it was a daily ritual. We can learn how to do this over time and it gets easier.

I personally have done both of those things you said, pretty log the food or just don't and go about your day.

Oh definitely, was just making sure OP can be aware of the different approaches that can be taken and that she doesn't need to be stuck eating the whole pizza or whatever she was planning on eating. That there are different ways she can approach how she wants to have her diet break day. It's unlikely one day will result in a stall though, just because it's all about averages. So she doesn't need to worry too much.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

Also not Lis but wanted to post my experience. This is my experience of iifym.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BombshellPhoenix/view/my-1200-calorie-story-705482

"Clean" is such a broad random word. Focusing on nutrient density is great, that's the essence of iifym. It's not intended to be an "eat nothing but cheetos diet". It's a philosophy that if you're getting your bodies required nutrients, there's no need to label foods. Focusing on macros and micros was super liberating for me. I will never diet again. This is something that makes sense for me for any goal I have.
  • ana3067
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BombshellPhoenix/view/my-1200-calorie-story-705482

"Clean" is such a broad random word. Focusing on nutrient density is great, that's the essence of iifym. It's not intended to be an "eat nothing but cheetos diet". It's a philosophy that if you're getting your bodies required nutrients, there's no need to label foods. Focusing on macros and micros was super liberating for me. I will never diet again. This is something that makes sense for me for any goal I have.

UGH, I both love you and hate you lol. I'm maybe halfway through my journey, if that. So much time left :( Totally would love to have your physique! What kind of lifting routine did you implement while cutting? I've been doing upper/lower split but considering a 2x a week full body routine to give me more recovery days. Also on a diet break atm and plan to return with only a 15% deficit, which will hopefully be gentler on my body.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options

UGH, I both love you and hate you lol. I'm maybe halfway through my journey, if that. So much time left :( Totally would love to have your physique! What kind of lifting routine did you implement while cutting? I've been doing upper/lower split but considering a 2x a week full body routine to give me more recovery days. Also on a diet break atm and plan to return with only a 15% deficit, which will hopefully be gentler on my body.

<3 well don't hate me! !! :smiley: Honestly, for my cut I wasted a lot of potential strength gains doing hacked together routines rather than a good structured ones. I saw most of my physique/strength improvement when I switched to bulk back in February and switched to All Pro beginner's routine(I still think this or strong lifts 5x5 would be good). It's bodybuilding.com. it's 3x a week full body. More of a hypertrophy routine, which was weird after coming off of lower reps but combined with a bulk resulted in quite a bit of difference over the months. My bulk, I'll add was not as successful as I'd hoped. Gained about 4 lbs in 7 months, actually hit maintenance for about 4 of those months but I didn't really want to up calories more.

Sorry that was a ramble♡
  • ana3067
    Options

<3 well don't hate me! !! :smiley: Honestly, for my cut I wasted a lot of potential strength gains doing hacked together routines rather than a good structured ones. I saw most of my physique/strength improvement when I switched to bulk back in February and switched to All Pro beginner's routine(I still think this or strong lifts 5x5 would be good). It's bodybuilding.com. it's 3x a week full body. More of a hypertrophy routine, which was weird after coming off of lower reps but combined with a bulk resulted in quite a bit of difference over the months. My bulk, I'll add was not as successful as I'd hoped. Gained about 4 lbs in 7 months, actually hit maintenance for about 4 of those months but I didn't really want to up calories more.

Sorry that was a ramble♡

Thanks :D Looked at the routine and it seems like a lot for being in a cut, although I did read that the reps can be changed to your liking. Have you cut at all on this routine as well, or just bulk/maintain? I've done 3x a week FB and found it to be too tiring, but I also did not periodize the rep scheme..... This is an interesting routine, especially the 2 working sets! I've been doing 3-4.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options

Sorry that was a ramble♡

Thanks :D Looked at the routine and it seems like a lot for being in a cut, although I did read that the reps can be changed to your liking. Have you cut at all on this routine as well, or just bulk/maintain? I've done 3x a week FB and found it to be too tiring, but I also did not periodize the rep scheme..... This is an interesting routine, especially the 2 working sets! I've been doing 3-4.

I had intended on eventually attempting it on a cut, though sadly I'm out from lifting due to a back injury for the time being. It would be interesting to see how one would fair. It is quite a bit but I like it. It's challenging for sure. I started very light, especially since the intentions of going up by 10% each cycle. Which, I imagine would be slower when cutting.