If I "need" to lose muscle mass?

Options
2»

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    jeffpettis wrote: »
    Sorry... But I am still in shock that a "fitness" website would even suggest that someone actually try, on purpose, to lose lean muscle tissue. I'm not familiar with the website but after seeing something like that I think I would back out and never go to that site again. Makes you wonder if any of their other advice is even worth reading... :#

This^

Since when is a higher body fat % healthy? This is crazy advice.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Do you think my BF is calculated correctly?
    I can't really use online calculators because I am thick in the middle and thin everywhere else. My wrist is like 5.5 inches. My fat is currently all in the middle and the online calculators use a waist measurement. My scale is supposed to be accurate at calculating BF percentage and it has me at the 29.5%??? If I do the online calculators it says I am 38% but even it says it won't be accurate if your fat is disproportionately in your waist. If my bf is higher then my lean muscle is not 122.5 And this is all irrelevant.
    Ultimately, who cares...right? I'll just keep doing what I am doing anyway.

Irrelevant. Track your weight and your measurements to ensure they are headed the right direction. Keep lifting and eating protein. In the long run all that matters is what you see in the mirror, not what the scale says or what your actual body fat percent is.
  • charleigh78
    charleigh78 Posts: 247 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Irrelevant. Track your weight and your measurements to ensure they are headed the right direction. Keep lifting and eating protein. In the long run all that matters is what you see in the mirror, not what the scale says or what your actual body fat percent is.

I know, I know....really I do. This whole "bodyspace setting a goal" thingy just side tracked me mentally. I am making huge progress. I will just keep moving forward. It doesn't matter....I know ;)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I would entirely ignore the advice to intentionally lose muscle.

I haven't been to bodybuilding.com in a while but I'd be curious how this tool works.

If for example, you input your goal weight and bodyfat% and also your current stats, and it spits out a recommendation then it's probably just a matter of selecting inappropriate goals.

Anyways, I'd disregard the advice to start trying to lose muscle mass.
  • charleigh78
    charleigh78 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I would entirely ignore the advice to intentionally lose muscle.

I haven't been to bodybuilding.com in a while but I'd be curious how this tool works.

If for example, you input your goal weight and bodyfat% and also your current stats, and it spits out a recommendation then it's probably just a matter of selecting inappropriate goals.

Anyways, I'd disregard the advice to start trying to lose muscle mass.

It gives a plethora of desired body appearance - fitness model, fit woman, etc. I did not choose the one with the lowest BF % (fitness model). Instead I chose the higher one (fitwoman). Then it tells you what you need to do to achieve that look. That is how you set a goal. A little narrow minded if you ask me?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I went through their steps and they are calculating it based on what the typical stats for the one you picked are. They don't take into account individual variance. Bodybuilding I have to gain 15 pounds of muscle and everything else I have to lose muscle. You can custom set your weight and body fat % goals on the next step.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Well in a calorie deficit the muscle mass will kind of decrease a little.. There no way of getting total fat loss and if anyone knows how please tell me.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Stopping lifting is simply not an option and wouldn't that be a stupid move? ha

Go by the bf%. Focus on that. Go from there once you hit the BF% goal.

Attempting to lose lean mass is stupid, as you age into oblivion, it will happen naturally.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I understand that some muscle will be lost with a long term calorie deficit.
    I understand that muscle loss can be minimized with resistance training and a proper diet.
    I understand the goal of lowering BF%.
    I don't understand why someone would intentionally try to lose muscle.
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    Did you use the BB.com automated " find your ideal physique" system which sets up goals based on what you indicate your ideal physique is? This just produces a pre set series of parameters ... It's just a notion to get you started not an absolute " you must be this size" mine told me I should be 235 lbs at 6 % body fat lol....
  • splashtree2
    Options
    Background.... I have been slowly losing since the end of January. I am a slow loser (only about 2-3 pounds a month). I am down 23 pounds. I have been lifting since March and I love it. I can definitely see a difference in body recomp and my bodyfat percentage is going down fast in comparison with my weight loss. I recently began a program on BB and am using bodypace. Let me say before I start quoting their figures....I am not hung up on what they say. I think I will know when I have reached my personal goals. At the same time, I am very curious. It recommends that I lose down to 16% BF with a weight of 122.5 lbs. In order to do that they suggest that I need to lose 20 pounds of muscle. My current BF is 29.5% ( if that matters).
    So here is my question...
    Let's just say that I seriously embraced this as my end goal. I lose slow, while lifting, and eating a fair amount of protein (usually at least 120-150 grams a day). I do keep a deficit for weightloss purposes but I am not running a huge deficit. No more than 500 calories a day.
    With that in mind, will I automatically lose the recommended muscle or do I need to cut protein or create more of a calorie deficit for that to happen? Just humor me...I'm curious and I honestly don't know :)

If you want to loose muscles don't feed it!
    So cut proteins a bit and do cardio for long

• 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I would concentrate on body fat % and reducing this. Not losing muscle mass.

Eat well, and exercise should achieve this.

Callipers are a good way to measure your body fat. Also take pictures of yourself.

Good luck!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Yo OP, you unswole yet?
    LOL
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    That site can be a little daft though.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Finding your exact BF% is not easy, and almost every method for measuring it is prone to big errors. If I had to make a wager, I'd bet you have less muscle than you think you do.

Best approach is to not worry about being too muscular, be consistent in how you measure, and just work for improvement. When you get closer to your goal, you might need to tweak your program to target specific areas.
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I can just see the new anti-fitness ideal. Want to lose weight and at the same time lose that unsightly muscle mass? with the new All-Prone diet and muscle loss program, we will come to your house and set up a hospital bed. Then, we will bring you packaged food of 1000 calories less than your resting bmr, and feed it to you so you don't work those pesky arm muscles. IT will be pureed so those jaw muscles lose that pesky definition. We will turn you every two hours to minimize working your core and prevent bedsores. In just 3 months, you will be amazed at how good you look. (at least we will tell you that you do, since you will be so weak you can't stand up to look in a full length mirror).
    Mike
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    This is being matched up incorrectly.

just because you weigh 122 doesnt mean you'll have 16%.

just because you are 16% doesnt mean you'll weigh 122.

doesnt work like that.

Aim for lowering your body fat only, not losing LBM.
This discussion has been closed.