You are your own gym?

Options
i'm just wondering could anyone give me any first hand information on if You are your own gym is any good?

I've searched all over this forum and it's full of people recommending it and a lot of people asking about it but i'm yet to find a single post that says "yeah i used it, it's brilliant, this is how i got on"

also i've seen there is an app they looks pretty good, does anyone know if i need to get the book and the app or if i can just use the app?

thanks

Replies

• GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I just use the app. I mainly do stronglifts but I use YAYOG as a warm up and I like it. Probably not what you were looking for as far as experiance. I think the basic app is free so try it out for yourself. You won't be out anything if you don't like it.
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I got the book first, and then the app. I like both. The program seems really good. I got the book about 6 months ago, and was just sort of making up my own program. Then I felt like I kind of stalled in progress so I got the app. The workouts on the app push me much harder than I was pushing myself, so I'm definitely seeing results. So far not a lot of visual results but my body feels much more fit. I've only been doing the actual program (with the app) for about 3 weeks but I really like it so far.
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Oh, and to answer your other question, I think you could go with just the app. It explains all the exercises so I don't think the book is necessary.
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have used both YAYOG and BBY--what I found with YAYOG is it was hard (for me) to figure out when I should make the progression to the next level. The app moved too fast through the progressions for me so I ended up adapting it to suit my abilities for the first 10 week cycle. Once I completed the 10 weeks, while I had made improvements, I wasn't as far along as I'd hoped. BBY is much better at outlining a progression imo--but I wasn't overly fond of the program (if that makes sense?) so now I'm blending some BBY with Start Bodyweight (a freebie on the internet) with a little Convict Conditioning and I'm very pleased with my progress. I will return to YAYOG once I am able to complete 10 full push-ups (I'm only at 5 :sob: ) because I like how Lauren lays out the program.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I don't use the app, the book was a good starting point.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I haven't used the app, but I tried to do the book coming off an injury, and for a while I was using it as an alternate workout when I was travelling.

I got a good workout doing the program and was getting stronger, but I struggled doing some of the more gymnastic progressions. I spent so much time trying successfully do pistol squats that eventually gave up on the program and went back to a barbell routine.

If I had stuck with it, I think I would have learned to do all the moves. I still feel guilty sometimes about giving up. I'm sure my flexibility and balance would be better if I'd kept trying.
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Awesome thanks guys I think I'm going to buy the app and see how it goes, worst case scenario I've wasted £2
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If you want excellent bodyweight training programs check out Complete Calisthenics by Ashley Kalym and Convict Conditioning by Paul Wade. YAYOG is decent for hotel room workout ideas, but the programming is weak. I've read all of these. Kalym's book is the easiest to follow.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If you need even more structure and don't mind spending a few bucks, check out GMB Fitness - it's run by pro gymnasts but it's aimed at all levels of fitness.
  • CMcD1445
    CMcD1445 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If you want excellent bodyweight training programs check out Complete Calisthenics by Ashley Kalym and Convict Conditioning by Paul Wade. YAYOG is decent for hotel room workout ideas, but the programming is weak. I've read all of these. Kalym's book is the easiest to follow.

I haven't read the Complete Calisthenics by Kalym, but I've done the other two. I like the structure of the app, and the stories in Wade's material. In either case, these are both good for basics and really cheap to buy, so I say you can't go wrong!