Lifting Success

Options
JustinAnimal
JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
I sort of started plateauing with my squat, which was the only lift I was really wanting to make gains in (as a guy who does not do this too seriously and isn't eating enough to truly bulk). When I realized I was having trouble adding weight (slowly, ala 5x5), I decided to switch it up (on the advice of other MFPers) and sort of deload. My routine now goes like this: one week, I do the max weight I can stand for 5 reps x 5 sets; the next week, I go down to moderately heavy weight and do 3 x 10; the next week, I go down to low weight for 3 x 15 with awkward stances, such as sumo squats or having my feet close together. After that, I added about 20 pounds to my squat. BOOM!

Now, I'm starting to think of the same routine with bench press, but instead of changing stance, I'd obviously be spreading my grip out, bringing it close together, and doing the same things with weight and reps.

Has this ever worked for anyone? Do you ever do deloading weeks? I just wanted to share, because it worked for me. However, I'm no professional, I haven't done enough reading (but I have done some), and I'm not at all qualified to give advice. Like those intrepid fools who share their nutritional success stories (such as cutting out carbs... only to be ridiculed by everyone who touts CICO and says you can eat whatever you want), I thought I'd foolishly shared what worked for me and welcome the hate.

Happy Halloween, sexies!

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I have no experience with that, but I want to follow to see the responses. I was doing strong curves for a while which has lots of different variants of the main lifts, which I do think helped me to add more weight. However, I was doing higher reps, so it was hard to compare.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    The 5/3/1 program has a deloading week. Yeah I decided to skip the first one but I plan to do a deload after round 2. I heard deloading is only for plateaus in lifting. I did take like a solid three day break after round 1 of 5/3/1.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    well, i am definitely endorsing it. not only does it give you an excuse to "take it easy" in the gym (don't get me wrong, sets of 15 with any weight can be pretty fatiguing) AND it felt like I performed better afterward.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Well in my 5/3/1 deloading week is the same weight as warm ups to working weight. I looked at that and said what a waste of a week. I got so strong increase 70 pounds on (bench, squats, deads 70 pounds total on these lifts) that I am ready to start round 2.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!