Has anyone lost weight at 1% per week?

Options
I thought I'd aim to lose at this rate, I know it's rather arbitrary, but I want to start somewhere. I'm curious as to whether anyone has been able to lose at this rate, and for how long? Thanks.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I don't have enough to lose to have those kind of numbers, sorry.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    No. A healthy loss is 1-2 pounds per week. People who have a lot of weight to lose initially can lost a bit more, but the closer you are to goal weight, the slower it is.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Just looking at the photo it seems your BMI is within normal range. What BMI and body fat percentage are you shooting for?
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Oops yes sorry I meant 1% of body weight per week, plus the amount reduces as you get smaller.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    0.5% would be better for most people. That gives a range of maybe 0.5-1.5lbs depending on starting weight. 1% would be above 1lb, which is okay if body composition is not important.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Didn't you start/continue the October challenge thread? You see what others are losing. I'm not sure how tall you are but I started here at 180 and 50 days later I'm at 163 (I think your current weight conVerted is ~ 178)? Try it and see if it works for you.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd aim to lose at this rate, I know it's rather arbitrary, but I want to start somewhere. I'm curious as to whether anyone has been able to lose at this rate, and for how long? Thanks.

AIMing for 1% a week and achieving it are two different things for most. I think you're fine aiming for it especially, since most of us underestimate our intake and overestimate our calorie burn. And if you achieve it, bonus. I'm not aware of any study that shows there is some big increase in LBM reduction above it vs. below it.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    No. A healthy loss is 1-2 pounds per week. People who have a lot of weight to lose initially can lost a bit more, but the closer you are to goal weight, the slower it is.
    ^^^^^^
    Well Said
    This site is set up to target a constant number as opposed to a percentage. Go easy on yourself and follow the MFP recommendations for steady and lasting results.
    Eat well, log all your foods and set your weekly weight loss for 1 pound. Exercise both cardio and strength, and eat back your exercise calories.
    It's simple.
    This is a slow, constant and steadfast outcome you won't regret.
    Good Luck!
    <3