Cleaning a gym bag

Options
srv524
srv524 Posts: 1,363 Member
Can someone recommend how to clean a gym bag? I've heard lysol, baking soda, warm soapy water, laundry, etc. Mine is really higher end ($60-$80) with a cardboard piece sewn inside the bottom that I can't remove so probably not laundry. I used it 3-4 times a week (dirty clothes stay in maybe a few hours at most). Bad news is I haven't cleaned it in like 2 yrs so the side pocket where I keep the dirty clothes smells a little musky. I want to do a good deep clean and then every couple weeks keep up with it with lysol. Ideas?

Replies

• srv524
    Options
    No one's had a smelly gym bag huh?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I have one, but mine's wash-able in the bath tub/sink. I use Oxy clean for mine.
  • srv524
    Options
    I can wash by hand just not the middle portion. I used lysol wipes last night so now it has this lemony/musky scent, not a good combo. Do you think soap and warm water would work for a deep clean, or should I try vinegar?
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Mine's 11 years old and leather. Never been washed or cleaned. :o
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I'd sanitize it with a sponge soaked in rubbing alcohol Wear gloves, or your hands may go numb.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would use vinegar. It's my fallback for heavy duty cleaning. The smell will dissipate so don't worry about lingering vinegar odor.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Air it out in the sun? I take the clothes and everything else out of the bag once I get home and store it with the zipper open till its next use. Never had to wash mine yet
  • srv524
    Options
    I always take the clothes out as soon as I get home but they often linger...
    I'll try the warm soapy water method then vinegar. Too bad it's 35 out this week or I'd hang it out in the sun :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Firstly, check the tag to see its recommend cleaning instructions. don't try the warm soapy water/vinegar until you've sorted that out. I personally have a Nike gym bag which is machine washable, but obviously cleaning varies bag to bag!
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have this issue from time to time.
    First, I hand it to my wife, and in a stern voice, order her to clean it.
    :o
    After that, I apologize and pick up the gym bag from across the floor, make sure it's empty and wipe it out with a damp rag soaked in a mild solution of warm water and detergent. I set it out in the sun for a few hours, then spray it with pure rubbing alcohol to kill anything alive and microscopic. Let dry...
    The final step is a quick spray down with Lysol Disinfectant and Deodorizer - DONE!

And then I get on my wife's TO-DO list...
  • srv524
    Options
    @rainbowbow - that's the problem, there is no tag. I checked every compartment, side bag, inside out, nothing.
    @50sfit - I don't have a wife to order around/do the work for her but perhaps in due time...
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    @rainbowbow - that's the problem, there is no tag. I checked every compartment, side bag, inside out, nothing.
    @50sfit - I don't have a wife to order around/do the work for her but perhaps in due time...

What is the brand/type?

• noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    No one's had a smelly gym bag huh?

No. I run to/from the gym and shower at home. Why do I need a gym bag?

• libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I have a cheap Nike bag made of nylon. I think it was only about $35 or $40 dollars. There is a removable coated cardboard insert that lays across the bottom of the bag. The bag is a few years old and still no scent.

Perhaps the inner lining or coating on your gym bag has cracked or peeled with age. It may be time for a replacement bag if you can't successfully get the stink out.

• Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Freeze it over night, kills bacteria then wipe it out with vinegar.
  • srv524
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

What is the brand/type?
    It's an Ogio canvas bag, has a cardboard bottom sewn into the bag. The smelly portion of it comes from the side bag where I put my sweaty clothes. I've cleaned it out but the smell still lingers...I'll just do white vinegar.
  • srv524
    Options
    I was thinking spraying it on the bag or or wiping it. It's only the side bag area that is my concern, the inside of the bag itself is OK...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Throw it in the freezer overnight.

Wipe it out with a water/bleach mix and towel dry.

Set it outside to dry thoroughly (preferably in the sun, but I know it's getting dark in some places.

Next time, buy a Speedo bag. They're freaking awesome. :)
  • trivard676
    trivard676 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    One of my shakes spilled in my bag once, I used rubbing alcohol to clean up the mess, then a couple of Bounce sheets to keep it smelling fresh. So far I haven't had any complaints. I now put my shoes in a plastic bag before I throw them in there, even though stinky shoes were never really a problem.