Fitness Trackers????? Please help!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I bought my wife a fitbit flex last week. The calorie data seems a little bit too high for common sense, but it wears well and has excellent app integration. Once you figure out how many real calories your fitbit calories are worth, you're set. In other words, if fitbit claims you burned 1000 calories, you've probably burned something much less.
    Your wife understands that when her Fitbit reads '1000 calories' it's referring to what she's burned all day from midnight on, including her BMR, right? I've never seen a Fitbit assign 1000 calories to one workout, unless maybe you ran a half marathon.

You've missed the point. I used a nice round number as an example. It's a given that BMR is part of any calorie tracker reading. Fitbit overstates calories. Period. Wear it overnight and it'll state you're burning over 200 calories per hour!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I've had Fitbits for 5 years... four of them, maybe. None have ever given me anything even anywhere near 100 calories per hour for BMR.

Mine don't overstate calories by much. I know because I've lost a lot of weight while wearing them and closely tracking intake and my weight loss is pretty much what my deficit suggests it should be.
    I got the BodyMedia for accuracy. It is very accurate, but since being purchased by Polar,
    They were purchased by Jawbone.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I bought my wife a fitbit flex last week. The calorie data seems a little bit too high for common sense, but it wears well and has excellent app integration. Once you figure out how many real calories your fitbit calories are worth, you're set. In other words, if fitbit claims you burned 1000 calories, you've probably burned something much less.
    Your wife understands that when her Fitbit reads '1000 calories' it's referring to what she's burned all day from midnight on, including her BMR, right? I've never seen a Fitbit assign 1000 calories to one workout, unless maybe you ran a half marathon.

You've missed the point. I used a nice round number as an example. It's a given that BMR is part of any calorie tracker reading. Fitbit overstates calories. Period. Wear it overnight and it'll state you're burning over 200 calories per hour!

Mine only gives me 64 calories per hour on inactivity. 64*24 = 1536. 1536 is my approx BMR. My approx TDEE however is somewhere around 2566 (based on loss vs intake data). Fitbit however estimates my TDEE to be around 2472 for the last 30 days. That's close enough for me and not bad for just an estimate from a device.
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    There are going to be a host of new trackers coming out soon. The microsoft band looks interesting. Seems to be having a few problems, so may want to wait for version 2.
    http://www.zdnet.com/whats-wrong-with-the-microsoft-band-7000035341/
    Mike
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

I beg to differ. Mine reads approximately 64 calories per hour when I'm sleeping.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options

I beg to differ. Mine reads approximately 64 calories per hour when I'm sleeping.

I agree also. According to my Fitbit, I burn about a cal a min at rest. If your wife is burning 200 cals an hour while she is sleeping, she must be a really big gal or has her data points set wrong. It uses a BMR number and adds to it the more steps you make throughout the day.

I have been using the FB One for about 16 months, lost over 50 lbs with it and have been maintaining my weight for about 6 months now. The FB One really has made this entire process easier for me.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I have a jawbone, which tracks steps, workouts, sleep (including naps), food, MFP. I love having all this data. ;-)