Losing weight and exercising with small children in the house

Options
Struggling with trying to get the weight off while meeting all the demands of work and home. Need some tips to help me get started and stay motivated to do this.

Replies

• mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time getting alone time to exercise, so I just have to keep my calories in line and sneak in exercise when I can!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I am a full time Nana. My grandson is dropped off first thing in the morning 5-6 days a week. I get up 4:30 every day and workout. In the warmer weather I would power walk 5-6 miles at the park or in my neighborhood. The days the weather is not cooperating I do Walk At Home videos and pilates/yoga workouts. I find working out in the morning beneficial. It gives me the energy I need and puts me in a great mood for the day. I tried doing my workouts after he went home at night but found I was too exhausted to do so. It has become a habit and I look forward to it every day.
    60817891.png
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I just tell her I'm going to work out, and set her up with a game/movie/toy. Now she's in school, so it's waaaaaaaaaaaay easier. But I've lost all my weight at home, so it can be done.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Invest in a jogging stroller (check out Craigslist or garage sales) and take them on long walks/jogs with you. Join a gym that has late hours and go work out after they are in bed (leaving them with another responsible adult, of course). Resist the urge to eat whatever is left on their plates.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Do you have a husband? Mine works shifts and I fit my exercise round that. I have 3 kids - 5, 3 and 6 months. I workout 5-6 times a week, as well as walking lots with my kids.
    Im on maternity leave now so it makes it easier, but I was still working out before, and whilst pregnant.
  • charlottelea
    charlottelea Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have a 10 month old and work full time as well as keep the house running. Just finished 7 nights in a row and also just finished the 30 day shred. I have a job where i'm on my feet constantly but squeeze my 30 workout in after baby's bedtime and before I sit and have my dinner. I put my dinner on to cook and shower. If you're motivated you'll find a way!
  • Trishism
    Trishism Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have a 7 month old and I'm on maternity leave currently so I'm sure it'll be harder once I go back to work, but for now we go for walks(he's either in his stroller or on me in a carrier) and go to the gym. Both sets of grandparents are able to help us out by watching him when we workout though, which I'm so thankful for. But, I just got myself some hand weights to be able to do some things at home either when he's napping/in bed/happy in his exersaucer.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Hire a neighbor teenager to watch the kids while you work out. Or trade services with a neighbor.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I used to workout during his nap time or at night when he is asleep. Now he is 3 yo, he either watches and cheers me on or plays with his toys /iPad . I try to keep my workouts under an hour per session.

Oh, all my workouts are done at home using workout DVDs and dumbbells / resistance bands when required.
  • Steellotus
    Steellotus Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I fit a 30 day shred around naptime. I have 2 under 2.
  • BrittanyMG3
    BrittanyMG3 Posts: 163 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My daughter was born January 28th, since then I've lost 80lbs. 1200 calories minimum following 21 day fix and some p90x3 (not consistently) I focused on the healthier food changes and developing good habits before flinging myself into exercise too. I didn't expect to lose as quickly as I did. Food scales are tremendously helpful learning proper portions and keeping them consistent. I have 3 little ones so I set an alarm on my phone to go off every 3 hours to eat something (smaller meals 5-6X per day) 99% of my loss was from healthier eating alone. Lean meats, veggies, brown rice (you know the drill ;) ) also switching milk to almond milk and having 3oz 2X per week, cutting back on condiments and cutting out most added salt. Then after you have your eating habits/routine down, throw in some quicker workouts...like p90x3 if you want something a little tougher or Zumba if you love cardio. My kids love dancing with me :) Oh, and Shakeology is great if you need a quick breakfast. :)
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    5 kids here all day, every day. I get up at 5.15 to fit my workout in, skip all the snacks and make extra lunch for myself. If you want it, you can do it.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    siren1ty wrote: »
    have more small children, keeping up with them all will just melt the weight off ;)

Haha hasn't worked that way for me! I rarely sit still and losing weight after my third is taking its time!
  • Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have a 10 month old and work full time as well as keep the house running. Just finished 7 nights in a row and also just finished the 30 day shred. I have a job where i'm on my feet constantly but squeeze my 30 workout in after baby's bedtime and before I sit and have my dinner. I put my dinner on to cook and shower. If you're motivated you'll find a way!

Wow. Now I feel like crap. :neutral_face: lol
  • doesthisappmakemelookfat
    Options
    I've just come through this. Try to remember that they do get older and more independent. Mine are 4 and 6 and they've let me work out for 1 hour now. Also, it's good to let them see you doing it, for role modelling--it's not taking time away from them, it's role modelling! Remember that. Playpen good.
  • bramble345
    bramble345 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    There's nothing like trying to hold a plank while a three year old crawls underneath the 'bridge'. Gets trickier when she tries to climb across it...

Shes also amenable to being used as a weight for squats..............
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. I had to wait until the kids started preschool to be able to workout. I tried a gym before that with babysitting but they were screaming as soon as I dropped them off every time, so I ended up giving up as they would call me after 10 minutes to get them back every time...

I managed with them at home this Summer though, by just getting up an hour before everyone else and doing a workout dvd. Or after dinner I'd ask my husband to take care of them while I worked out. My husband bought a stationary bike ($100 or so) and just gets on it when watching shows after the kids are in bed, or would go for a run when he got home from work (before it got cold and dark).
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this some days. I do a lot of work out dvds while they're napping or playing, we take walks, and when dad isn't at work and has free time I'll go to the gym. It was hard for me to do to begin with but my schedule has accepted what I need to do.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I either have to get up very early and do my walk or gym time then come home and get everyone ready. Or during the day I walk with them. Or during the day I can work out after he eats and I put him down for his own exercise while I do mine or after everyone is off to bed. But my hubby doesn't like me going out at night alone so I tend to try to do the morning thing.