Joining Air Force Reserves. Need to drop 80lbs!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Air Force guy here... lots of desks in the Air Force. Desks don't make you fat - eating too much and not moving around enough makes you fat. Lots of people who do crash diets to get in, and lots who get fat again once they make the initial cut. The ones who do the crash diets eventually have their impulsive/undisciplined ways catch up with them, and I've had the pleasure of kicking some of them out.

As far as the body fat % to get in, well, that's a very small minority. Odds are if you can't make the abdominal circumference, you ain't passing the other three components of the test. Unless you're Brock Lesnar. And you don't look like him.

You can do this either healthy or fast, but not both. 80lbs in 4mos ain't gonna happen, so you might as well come clean to your buddy and recruiter now rather than annoy everyone 3 weeks out.

Sometimes the truth is not easy to hear but his answer looks perfect on all counts.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Is it possible? Probably. Is it healthy? Probably not. Is it realistic? Maybe.

You obviously can't do it by cutting calories alone. You would have to go without eating anything for four months. I have heard of a guy who went without eating for one year, but that was with doctors monitoring him closely. On the other hand, if you are eating 2,500 calories a day and doing enough exercise to burn and additional 2,400 (on average) calories per day, you would still be getting many of the nutrients your body needs while reaching the required calorie deficit. I expect your doctor will still tell you it is a bad idea. And you're also looking at about three hours of vigorous cardio everyday, which isn't an easy thing to do.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    On the other hand, if you are eating 2,500 calories a day and doing enough exercise to burn and additional 2,400 (on average) calories per day...

What you're basically describing is completing Ranger School...twice The odds of a 280 pound and out of shape individual being able to do that are vanishingly close to zero.

It would be easier to just not eat for four months.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    On the other hand, if you are eating 2,500 calories a day and doing enough exercise to burn and additional 2,400 (on average) calories per day...

What you're basically describing is completing Ranger School...twice The odds of a 280 pound and out of shape individual being able to do that are vanishingly close to zero.

On the other hand, if he were to put in that kind of effort, by the time he makes it to basic training he'll be in shape and will have an easier time completing it. If he just stops eating, he'll be so out of shape they'll kick him out.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

On the other hand, if he were to put in that kind of effort, by the time he makes it to basic training he'll be in shape and will have an easier time completing it.

People who are already very fit have trouble getting through that kind of regimen.

It's simply not a realistic option for the OP.

New plan is needed.
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    My advice, do not drop down to 1000 cals right away, start off at a reasonable deficit of 300 calories under maintenance, this wont hault your progress as it will be continuous, as each week you drop 50-100 calories more to lose.... in the new year is when to be aggressive with numbers, you also will not burn out or give up if you choose this perspective... people that go on extreme deficits really stall their metabolism and any small amount of calories causes them to gain weight back almost immediately...
    Incorporate lots of cardio and as as a defecit, you will lose a lot...
    GL with the forces, I plan to join the navy!
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options

I don't think they will pass you on body fat percentage, if you reach the requirements.

Years ago I went to MEPS, but they wouldn't even tape me. They told me I couldn't come back until I lost 10 lbs and before two months-- time span for a healthy weight loss of 10 lbs. I was told that I would be passed then.

Now, losing 10 lbs would have still had me beyond the maximum weight for my height, but this is what they told me. I weighed 190 lbs when I went, they wouldn't pass me until I weighed 180 lbs. I'm a 5'6 female with a large frame.

Now, I'm trying again and regret not just losing the 10 lbs. I let something so small deter me from my goals.. never again. Anywho....

If you really want to join the Reserves in 4 months, then you're going to have to bust *kitten* to reach your goal. You would probably have to cut calories to about a 1000/1200 [veggies, lean meat, water, multivitamin] or so and do about 4 hours of cardio most days. This isn't healthy, but it will help you reach your goal if that's really what you want.

Doing this method I lost about 76 lbs in 3 months many years ago.

Now, I'm trying to lose those last 100 lbs so that I can start the process [by April]. Hopefully, nothing will stand in my way after reaching my goal.

====

If this is something you really want, then I'm rooting for you.
    Like someone else said-- you can either do it the healthy way or the fast way.

This seems like a spur of the moment thing for you, so you may change your mind when you realize the amount of effort required to meet that four month goal.
  • EFMcG
    EFMcG Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You do realize that you probably will not be in the same training company as your friend when you enlist right? There's a good possibility you two may not even get the same mos (military job). Therefore, even though it may seem like a good idea to enlist with somebody, your enlistment is your own. This is a contract between you and the United States government. I'm not trying to dissuade you from enlisting, I am an Army Reservist. I however, had a more difficult time in basic training than my peers, because I went in at 27, and because I had a desk job and neglected my health for a couple of years. I enlisted 4 months after hitting my goal weight. Now I wish I had waited just a little longer, and trained just a little harder before shipping off. Then maybe I could have made it through my training with out injury. Regardless, it takes a lot of discipline to overcome bad eating habits, to be able to live a military lifestyle, and take personal accountability. I am still recovering from a bulging disc, which I may have been able to prevent if I had taken more time to enlist.
  • jmaidan
    jmaidan Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hey bud, I'm aiming to join the army reserves and have 50lbs to lose. Buddy up?

I don't think its feasible to do it that quick. I'm aiming for 50lbs in 12 months.

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    The thing as well is that if you do this ultra quickly you are setting yourself up to regain the weight - and in the military if you are struggling with your weight that can result in disciplinary action, making it harder to progress and/or getting kicked out. Personally, I don't think military is a great option for people who struggle with weight, but if it is very important to you give yourself an additional year to really do this right and make permanent changes.
  • mseslee
    mseslee Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    you want to be healthy and strong when you join the reserves. The last thing you want to try to do is go on a veggie diet. I understand that it worked for your dad to lose all that weight but he also won't be doing the same training as you will joining the reserves.

80 pounds in 4 months is allot of weight to lose. I suggest start off by working out, eating healthy, keeping track of your calories, cutting out sugar and anything but water and you will start to see a difference.

Don't expect yourself to lose that much weight in such little time.
  • LosingLaurensWay
    LosingLaurensWay Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Sorry but there is honestly no way to loose that much by then. You can make the healthy choices you need to and loose what you can, but losing that much that fast will NOT be healthy! Not to mention even if you did you wont keep it off and you will have wrecked your body.