im not understanding the energy expenditure.

Options
Here's my question why cant a sedentary person maintain on 3,000 calories but a active person can?

Replies

• funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Because the energy required to make your muscles move around is taken in as food.

A sedentary person moves less, therefore requires less energy, therefore requires less food.

An active person moves more, needs more energy, and gets that by eating more food.
  • taylorblade
    taylorblade Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    funchords wrote: »
    Because the energy required to make your muscles move around is taken in as food.

A sedentary person moves less, therefore requires less energy, therefore requires less food.

An active person moves more, needs more energy, and gets that by eating more food.
    So basically what your saying its because when we do cardio or strength training those calories go to our heart and muscles??? Like i really just dont get it. Because before i couldnt eat past 2000 calories when i was sedentary without gaining. Now since im active i can eat up to 3,000 without gaining. Do our metabolisms adapt or something?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

So basically what your saying its because when we do cardio or strength training those calories go to our heart and muscles??? Like i really just dont get it. Because before i couldnt eat past 2000 calories when i was sedentary without gaining. Now since im active i can eat up to 3,000 without gaining. Do our metabolisms adapt or something?

Doing things burns energy....
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    os this for real? you are askin why can someone who exercises strength and cardio eat more calories and keep the same weight?

Do you understand that exercise expends energy?
  • taylorblade
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    os this for real? you are askin why can someone who exercises strength and cardio eat more calories and keep the same weight?

Well see i mean i guess im saying this.... You know 3,500 calories is a pound of fat for everybody no matter what activity level anybody is right??? Im saying this why cant a sedentary person eat 3,000 calories a day and maintain there? 3,000 calories is not a pound of fat. Add 500 calories more then it is a pound of fat.
  • taylorblade
    Options

Doing things burns energy....

Well what about a sedentary person who cleans the house or walk around in the store. You know small stuff like that.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Well see i mean i guess im saying this.... You know 3,500 calories is a pound of fat for everybody no matter what activity level anybody is right??? Im saying this why cant a sedentary person eat 3,000 calories a day and maintain there? 3,000 calories is not a pound of fat. Add 500 calories more then it is a pound of fat.

3500 calories ABOVE someone's TDEE equals a pound of fat...
  • taylorblade
    Options

Wait isnt that still 3,500 calories???
  • TavistockToad
    Options

No, it's above whatever a persons TDEE is...
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I feel bad for anyone that falls for this thread.

You mean you don't want to be able to use the :trollface: ???
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    He is baiting you
  • taylorblade
    Options

(sigh) i guess i will never understand. :( i just keep confusing myself when i think about it.

• TavistockToad
    Options

(sigh) i guess i will never understand. :( i just keep confusing myself when i think about it.

What's not to understand about that?!
  • taylorblade
    Options

What's not to understand about that?!
    Idk.... I guess im just thinking to much about it.
  • EnviDreams
    EnviDreams Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    OMG this thread has made me laugh so hard I can't lie