ADHD and TDEE

Options
Hello fellow shineys! Anyone else not trust their TDEE?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What's not to trust?
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I can be hyper as heck, take a nap for a few hours and be bouncing off the walls once again.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I can be hyper as heck, take a nap for a few hours and be bouncing off the walls once again.

What does that have to do with your TDEE?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Uh.. well, I'm sure that you could figure out after a few weeks if it seems to be estimating too low for you if you're dropping faster than planned. In that case perhaps bumping up your activity level a bit more until you find the spot where you're losing at the right pace.
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    being hyper and not being able to concentrate isn't the same as doing exercise and burning calories.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

"total daily energy expenditure"
  • TavistockToad
    Options

"total daily energy expenditure"

Yes, I know what TDEE stands for. But what has you having a nap got to do with it?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    is shiny the new word for someone with ADHD? I hate it. (yes I do have inattentive ADHD so my opinion does count). I hate most labels though, so take my opinion in that context.

if you are moving more because you have ADHD then your TDEE may be a little bit higher than the estimates, due to more NEAT (non-exercise activity). But the number the calorie calculators give anyone is an estimate based on averages, and you need to look at your real world results and see if you need to adjust the number upwards or downwards, e.g. if you're losing too fast, too slowly, or you're constantly hungry or whatever.
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    If having ADHD and bouncing off walls made that big of a difference, none of us who have ADHD would be overweight. ;)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I have high functioning autism and I stim. I don't factor it into my TDEE.
  • marlovs78
    marlovs78 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    LSD affects my ADHD and makes me confused about my TDEE but not my BMI. Only when I have PMS.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    If your ADHD is affecting you to the point that you cannot keep still, you don't need to calculate your TDEE, you need to visit your MD and get your medication adjusted.