Portable Snacks

Options
Hey everyone! So I'm a college student (graduating in May) and feel like I'm always on the go or studying. Since joining MFP, I've cut my meal sizes in half, making sure I eat a good breakfast. I feel great! I can get hungry between meals still and usually have a small snack of raisins. But I have realized that my go-to, portable snack was super high in sugar though a decent amount of fiber (something my doctor said I needed to make sure I got enough of with my body). Do you all have any portable snack suggestions?

My cal/day goal is between 1400-1500 but my net is usually closer to 1200-1300. Thanks in advanced!!!

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Quest bar 160 -170 calories, 20 grams of protein, 20 grams of fiber.
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Protein bars...but do watch out for high sugar in those too. My other on the go snack is the prepackaged Emerald Almonds 100 calorie pack. I like the cocoa dusted ones.

My 'bad' go to snack is finding one serving size bags of potato chips, or bag up my own in sandwich baggies. One serving of Doritos (11 chips) is 140. I savor every one of them.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I've been carrying Kellogg's Nutri-grain bars with me when I go cycling. They have 120 calories, 125mg of sodium and 24g carbs.
  • badabanna
    badabanna Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love those new Oscar-Meyer protein-pack things. (Not a shill, promise!) It's like a little tray with cubed meat, nuts, and cheese. Like a little Lunchable. I think they range from 140-170 calories each.
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    String cheese or cheddar snacks are great to have around. Aldi's Greek-style yogurt is good and inexpensive. At times, I'll have an ounce of peanuts & raisins together and flash back to our lunch menu in elementary school.

I always buy a large bag of natural almonds (if they're roasted/salted or flavored, I'll eat too many) and pre-portion the whole thing into snack bags. Sometimes I'll throw in some cinnamon, cocoa powder, or Old Bay w/ a bit of Splenda. That's my main go-to and doesn't require refrigeration.
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    cashews, pecans, raisins (which you mentioned) and dates are all good options. Unless you are diabetic, there is nothing wrong with sugar.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Banana
    Get small plastic tubs and anything you'd eat at home can be a portable snack eg hummus and carrot sticks, small sandwich
  • SarahRMerts
    SarahRMerts Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This is fantastic! Thanks everyone!