.5 lb. loss per week + exercise calories

Options
Hi everybody,
I dont have a lot of weight to lose (10 lbs would be nice) and I was wondering if anyone has had success with MFPs .5 lb weight loss calorie goal plus exercise calories. I like to eat, I like to work out a lot, and I don't like restricting a lot because that just doesn't work for me in the long run . So anyone? Anybody have success with this?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I was using that option for a little, then I calculated my TDEE and found that the calories MFP was giving me and the TDEE method were the same. Which was annoying because I had been eating back my calories. Since they're the same, now I'm not eating them back anymore.

Anyway...I'm not perfect so it is slooooooow. I definitely don't lose the whole .5 a week.

• la_vie_est_belle_
    la_vie_est_belle_ Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Bueller? .....Bueller?
  • la_vie_est_belle_
    la_vie_est_belle_ Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I was using that option for a little, then I calculated my TDEE and found that the calories MFP was giving me and the TDEE method were the same. Which was annoying because I had been eating back my calories. Since they're the same, now I'm not eating them back anymore.

Anyway...I'm not perfect so it is slooooooow. I definitely don't lose the whole .5 a week.

Thanks for the response! I would rather go the slow route because I've lost weight fast before and I just gain it back. I feel like the .5 lb loss gives me the option of not over obsessing with exercise/ diet
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd love to just get this last 6 pounds off and call it a day, but I just have to chill and take my time because rushing it would probably be unhealthy. I just get frustrated because there's less room for error now and I'm not being consistent enough to really get that .5 a week result.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Thanks for the response! I would rather go the slow route because I've lost weight fast before and I just gain it back. I feel like the .5 lb loss gives me the option of not over obsessing with exercise/ diet

With 10lbs left to lose it's an ideal option. Slower goals for less weight and you'll be much happier :) I'm changing my deficit to ~0.75lbs a week, or ~3lbs a month, and will probably go to .5 when I get to 160 unless I feel I do want to lower my goal to 140-145 instead of 150. Slow sucks, but then again you're also not that far from maintenance so it'll be an easier transition.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    That's exactly how I lost all 10-12 lbs I needed to get rid of initially. I had the 0.5 lb/week weight loss and calorie goal the whole time. I exercised and ate back most of the exercise calories, but I didn't always log the full amount of exercise time if it was something like gardening or walking, since I think sometimes the calorie burn figures on here are a bit inflated. I think my metabolism is a little faster than MFP estimates; I would usually be quite close to my allotted calories for the week and would lose 0.8 lb rather than 0.5.

Anyway, yes, it is quite possible to do it this way if you log everything and are careful with the accuracy of the exercise figures you're putting in.

At the moment I'm back to the same method, since I decided I want to lose a few more pounds. I haven't been super consistent this time around (for only a month so far) and haven't done well so far-- but I am now being as strict with myself as I was last year so it should work again.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Linnaea27 wrote: »
    That's exactly how I lost all 10-12 lbs I needed to get rid of initially. I had the 0.5 lb/week weight loss and calorie goal the whole time. I exercised and ate back most of the exercise calories, but I didn't always log the full amount of exercise time if it was something like gardening or walking, since I think sometimes the calorie burn figures on here are a bit inflated. I think my metabolism is a little faster than MFP estimates; I would usually be quite close to my allotted calories for the week and would lose 0.8 lb rather than 0.5.

Anyway, yes, it is quite possible to do it this way if you log everything and are careful with the accuracy of the exercise figures you're putting in.

At the moment I'm back to the same method, since I decided I want to lose a few more pounds. I haven't been super consistent this time around (for only a month so far) and haven't done well so far-- but I am now being as strict with myself as I was last year so it should work again.
    Although if you had logged exercise cals 100% you might have lost more on target, this is one reason I rec people log and eat back all the cals - that way if they are losing too little it's so easy to lower things!

I am honestly so eager to getting to the point you and OP are at. I'm possibly 15-25lbs away depending on if I lower my goal again.
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    My goal is to lose a similar amount (7 pounds) at the same rate as you (.5 pounds per week)! Feel free to add me if you like.

I am probably not the best one to answer your question since I am new here and plan to use a TDEE model instead of the MFP default.