Why you should not eat before bed

Replies

• harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    So there's no source out there that says otherwise? Anyone? Bueller?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member

I'm waiting for something from you ..
    Also can you find more than one source for this? Peer reviewed? Published in a credible medical journal?

I asked half an hour ago and you conveniently ignored me.
  • harlequin0318
    yeah...there's proof...all the people that ate right late at night right before they went to bed and lost 50+ pounds... dry.gif

I can't cite "the people on MFP blog"
  • harlequin0318

Also can you find more than one source for this? Peer reviewed? Published in a credible medical journal?

I posted the link up top
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    I always eat a snack about an hour before bed. Not a huge meal, but between 150 and 200 cals. I will continue to do so. I've lost 46lbs.
  • PrizePopple
    Simply because I will humor you, despite your inability to reciprocate...

http://time.com/3020266/you-asked-will-eating-before-bed-make-me-fat/

Now granted they say dessert foods are no-no's it's not because it will expressly make you fat, but because it doesn't tide your body over all night long.

"You’ve been told eating before bed is a no-no. But a little pre-slumber snack can help you sleep more soundly without packing on pounds—if you reach for the right foods.

Especially if you tend to eat dinner a few hours before bedtime or you’re very active (or both), snacking before bed will help stabilize your blood sugar levels during the long, meal-less night, explains Stephanie Maxson, senior clinical dietician at the University of Texas’s MD Anderson Cancer Center."

If the foods are worked into your day on the caloric level it's not going to cause you to gain magical weight because weight gain is from overeating. Not some nonsense about your liver cleansing itself the best for only 2 hours a night.
  • harlequin0318
    and now i posted it at the bottom http://www.anthromed.org/Article.aspx?artpk=531
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,230 Member
    I read the article that OP posted - it is very long.
    -
    I will just quote one paragraph from it.
    People can perhaps use that to judge its merits.

Other symptoms of liver imbalance in­clude anxiety and anger, especially sup­pressed anger. These symptoms are so commonplace today in the general popula­tion that one wonders if we are not seeing an epidemic of liver stress, and metabolic imbalance brought on by the onslaught of the stresses of modern life, and the dead­ening effects of our technological civiliza­tion. Yet we must never forget that the "LIVER" takes its name from life, and not from the death processes in the body, otherwise, it would have been named "Deather"!

The liver is the central organ of detoxi­fication in the body. If it becomes sluggish then the toxins in the body will begin to congest the lymphatics and a greater strain will eventually be imposed on the four major organs of elimination: the colon which removes our solid wastes (Earth element), the kidneys which remove our liquid wastes (Water element), the lungs which remove our gaseous wastes (Air element) and our skin which also excretes our wastes when we heat up and sweat (Fire element).

Seriously, OP? :s
  • PrizePopple

I posted the link up top

Oh my Google worked just fine before you put that up, thanks. Not that you cited the doctor to begin with, nor did that link supply any information about that doctor's work with any hospital that has credibility.
  • harlequin0318
    Simply because I will humor you, despite your inability to reciprocate...

http://time.com/3020266/you-asked-will-eating-before-bed-make-me-fat/

Now granted they say dessert foods are no-no's it's not because it will expressly make you fat, but because it doesn't tide your body over all night long.

"You’ve been told eating before bed is a no-no. But a little pre-slumber snack can help you sleep more soundly without packing on pounds—if you reach for the right foods.

Especially if you tend to eat dinner a few hours before bedtime or you’re very active (or both), snacking before bed will help stabilize your blood sugar levels during the long, meal-less night, explains Stephanie Maxson, senior clinical dietician at the University of Texas’s MD Anderson Cancer Center."

If the foods are worked into your day on the caloric level it's not going to cause you to gain magical weight because weight gain is from overeating. Not some nonsense about your liver cleansing itself the best for only 2 hours a night.

This is what I was looking for! Thank you.
  • harlequin0318
    -

Other symptoms of liver imbalance in­clude anxiety and anger, especially sup­pressed anger. These symptoms are so commonplace today in the general popula­tion that one wonders if we are not seeing an epidemic of liver stress, and metabolic imbalance brought on by the onslaught of the stresses of modern life, and the dead­ening effects of our technological civiliza­tion. Yet we must never forget that the "LIVER" takes its name from life, and not from the death processes in the body, otherwise, it would have been named "Deather"!

The liver is the central organ of detoxi­fication in the body. If it becomes sluggish then the toxins in the body will begin to congest the lymphatics and a greater strain will eventually be imposed on the four major organs of elimination: the colon which removes our solid wastes (Earth element), the kidneys which remove our liquid wastes (Water element), the lungs which remove our gaseous wastes (Air element) and our skin which also excretes our wastes when we heat up and sweat (Fire element).

I don't see what the problem is with using metaphors
  • harlequin0318
    "Karl Maret, M.D., M.Eng. serves as president of the Alliance, and was instrumental in its inception. His broad training as an electrical engineer, biomedical engineer, and medical doctor has given him a solid background in Energy Medicine. He has carried out physiological research at the highest places on earth, including near the summit of Mt. Everest, as well as building specialty instrumentation for physiological measurements under the Antarctic ice. He has served as a military officer with distinction and run his own consulting business for many years. Prior to serving the Dove Health Alliance he was president of another nonprofit foundation while simultaneously helping hundreds of clients within the field of complementary medicine."

And this is the doc that wrote it - so he tried to have a sense of humor and failed
  • harlequin0318
    Dr. Maret,
    5230 Carroll Canyon Road, Suite 214,
    San Diego, CA 92121,
    Tel: (619) 450­1954, FAX: (619) 275-2112.

and we can even call him to ask! ;)
  • PrizePopple
    Yes, I also Googled that. Again, no credible hospital. Hell it doesn't even list where he got his degrees.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    "Karl Maret, M.D., M.Eng. serves as president of the Alliance, and was instrumental in its inception. His broad training as an electrical engineer, biomedical engineer, and medical doctor has given him a solid background in Energy Medicine. He has carried out physiological research at the highest places on earth, including near the summit of Mt. Everest, as well as building specialty instrumentation for physiological measurements under the Antarctic ice. He has served as a military officer with distinction and run his own consulting business for many years. Prior to serving the Dove Health Alliance he was president of another nonprofit foundation while simultaneously helping hundreds of clients within the field of complementary medicine."

And this is the doc that wrote it - so he tried to have a sense of humor and failed

aka not-medicine
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Dr. Maret,
    5230 Carroll Canyon Road, Suite 214,
    San Diego, CA 92121,
    Tel: (619) 450­1954, FAX: (619) 275-2112.

and we can even call him to ask! ;)
    Oops!
  • harlequin0318
    Yes, I also Googled that. Again, no credible hospital. Hell it doesn't even list where he got his degrees.

I should call and ask him
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    -

Wait, is this weight loss, or feng shui? Or pokemon?
  • PrizePopple
    -

Wait, is this weight loss, or feng shui? Or pokemon?

Poor Pokemon.

vol01.jpg
  • harlequin0318
    But on a serious note - thank you for the other article PrizePopple, it will definitely provide enough evidence for the opposing argument.