Hello, any other mud runners on this site?

Options
Hi all, I am pretty new to this whole way of tracking calories and keeping tabs on my macros. I am trying to get as lean as possible for my 4th Tough Mudder. I did really well last year, (finished in 3.25 hours) and I want to repeat/beat my time this year. In the off season, I usually hover around 148-150..then drop down to 138-140. I am also adapting a keto/paleo/IF protocol this year, and it seems to be working pretty well. (i love that I don't eat breakfast until 2pm and still maintain muscle mass) Is there anyone else that does this? Can you tell me about your experience with eating that way, and completing a race?

Replies

• noexcusesjustresults2014
    noexcusesjustresults2014 Posts: 212 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I love mud runs and have done more TM's than I care to admit. The thing that helped me the most so far (I already ran all the time) was pull up training. I can already complete all obstacles unassisted (on a good day) but sometimes still fall on the inclined monkey bars (especially when they are wet). I hope to lose 7 or so pounds before my next Tough Mudder which I think will makes things a little easier. At my last TM my ex bf tried to help pull me over the top of the warped wall (I could have made it on my own) and I got really mad. We broke up soon thereafter. lol

I have fasted before in order to allow more calories for an occasional huge meal, etc but have no experience with a keto/paleo diet. I plan on consuming enough protein (and strength train) to minimize muscle loss during my diet, but I love to consume lots of carbs!
  • katieobrienps300
    Options
    The fact that your ex helped you over a wall, (and that pissed you off) makes me laugh and sympathize. :D You ma'am, are a bad *kitten*! Oh the funky monkey, I must say it isn't one of my faves....and I hope to make it my *kitten* this year. Which obstacle do you hate the most? For me, it's def Artic Enema! I would walk the plank, do the electric eel, and funky monkey 3 more times just to avoid that god forsaken thing!
    I will say that my running has improved a lot since switching to paleo. I went from 11 min/mile to 9 in no time. When I switched over to keto, my performance took a dip, but I'm getting back up there. And I don't feel sick after HIIT anymore. Continue the good work chickah, you are truly an inspiration.

Katie