Chest pain, any ideas?

Options
I'm concerned since I've lately started to have scary pain on both sides of my chest on almost daily basis.

I'm a 20-year old girl, with height 162cm/5.3ft & 78kg/171lbs. Some years ago, I used to be 20kgs heavier and at that time I also had chest pains, but my heart was examined and it was perfectly healthy. When I started exercising and losing weigth, I noticed the pain reducing.
During the last few months I gained about 5kgs back, but I didn't experience any pain during it.
BUT now that I've started exercising again, the pains are back and I'm scared! I don't want any pain to control my life. They don't actually occur when I'm exercising, but rather when I'm resting, e.g. sitting comfortably and reading a book etc. This time the pain is mostly on the left side of the chest.

So any ideas what's it all about? Any suggestions to ease the pain? Experiences?

Replies

• cmsgrant
    cmsgrant Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good sign that you don't have pain during exercise. However, you should go back to you Dr. And tell him/her everything, and let them give you a course of action.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Have your dr check for stomach ulcers. Def go to the dr!!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    You could have some upper digestive issue. I sometimes get chest pain when sitting after a heavy meal. You might want to keep a diary of when you get the pain.
  • lucygoesrawr
    lucygoesrawr Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My husband had the same issue. He saw several people about it and it was concluded that he had asthma, and it was most likely that causing his symptoms (his inhalers tend to relieve the pain). So, you should see a doctor - but try not to worry about it.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Call the doctor.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    My husband had the same issue. He saw several people about it and it was concluded that he had asthma, and it was most likely that causing his symptoms (his inhalers tend to relieve the pain). So, you should see a doctor - but try not to worry about it.

Indeed. It could be related to lung health. You could ask the doctors to run a stress test on you to help find the root cause.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/stress/during.html
  • Ringo1812
    Ringo1812 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Would definitely go back to your doctor and as mention above, keep a diary when they occur. Is there any anxiety disorder in your family. I went through the same think and found they were from anxiety. When your doing something you mind takes over but when I rest sometimes I have anxiety pain although not sure why as not thinking of anything ot get it but my doctors says usually anxiety comes from underlying thoughts not present ones. I didn't know my family history suffered from this until my doctor told me to talk to family members. Might want to check that out too, but doctor first.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You need to consult your doctor.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Since you had your heart checked before and it was healthy, the chest pain is most likely anxiety related.

I personally have supraventricular tachycardia, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, and exercise-induced syncope. I know all about chest pain, palpitations, etc.

Are you having any other symptoms when you experience the chest pain?

It wouldn't hurt to call your doctor and let them know what you are experiencing.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    It could be gall bladder or acid reflux. Go to the doctor to find out what and he can probably do something about it. In the off chance that it is your heart, you don't want to go undiagnosed. Good luck.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Call the doctor.

This.

Sounds like you're dying. Don't die and become a zombie.
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I agree with others with checking with your Dr. I get chest pain (along with other sucky symptoms) because I have been dealing with anxiety for the last 15 years. The chest pain comes when I'm stressed out or I could just be hanging around not stressed and it'll pop up.
    Hope you get it checked out and feel better!
  • sausens
    sausens Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your responses! I will definitely consult a doctor.
    But the main thing - thank you for taking my mind off of heart diseases! Anxiety or digestion problems may be tough, but I'd take them over a heart diseas!