Sodium Content?

Options
So I am always HUGELY under my sodium intake on MFP. That's a good thing, right? Like is there such thing as too little sodium?

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    How low are we talking? Salt is needed for bodies to function, but being under 2,500mg isn't necessarily a bad thing.
  • paigealexandra93
    paigealexandra93 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    How low are we talking? Salt is needed for bodies to function, but being under 2,500mg isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Well, my daily limit is 2,300 and yesterday, which is a pretty average day, I clocked in at 1,151
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    That is o.k. then.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    From the CDC...

"The Institute of Medicine recommends 1500 mg of sodium per day as the Adequate Intake level for most Americans and advises everyone to limit sodium intake to less than 2300 mg per day, the Tolerable Upper Limit. Current dietary guidelines for Americans recommend that adults in general should consume no more than 2,300 mg of sodium per day."

I've noticed I personally do better staying under the 2,000 mark. Though sometimes my love of buttery popcorn foils me
  • Solar_Cat
    Solar_Cat Posts: 188 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    From the CDC...

"The Institute of Medicine recommends 1500 mg of sodium per day as the Adequate Intake level for most Americans and advises everyone to limit sodium intake to less than 2300 mg per day, the Tolerable Upper Limit. Current dietary guidelines for Americans recommend that adults in general should consume no more than 2,300 mg of sodium per day."
    Taken by itself, this excerpt from the CDC's page is slightly misleading in the context of this discussion. Right before that they say:
    We all need a small amount (e.g., between about 180 mg and 500 mg per day) of sodium to keep our bodies working properly.
    The takeaway is that if you're consuming at least 500 mg, you're absolutely fine. (It would be pretty hard to go under that number. My sodium goal is set to 1250, which works quite well for me.)

CDC reference for both the above quotes: Americans Consume Too Much Sodium (Salt)
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    How is it misleading? She's concerned about not eating at the recommended level set by MFP. I'm simply pointing out that the 2,300 is the MAXIMUM, not what she should aim to hit.

Yeesh.
  • Solar_Cat
    Solar_Cat Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I said slightly misleading. I meant that the passage could be read to imply that 1500 mg is a minimum ("Adequate Intake level"). But when the previous part is included, it becomes clear that they're not saying it's a minimum.

"Yeesh," yourself. It wasn't a personal criticism. Just a clarification. :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You can go too low, but 1100 is good. If you ever have to see a cardiologist, he will be good with that. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    If you have no medical issues, 1100 is fine. The body needs like 500 mg a day minimum.