Tips on stopping late night eating?

Options
Hello party peeps,

Anyone have any tips to avoid the late night cravings? I'm really good at staying track with my meals but then just after dinner those cravings kick in. Sometimes it can be just a snack, other times a late night binge. Does anyone have any tips that might help?

Replies

• Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I eat at night..that would be my preferred time to eat. So i try to make sure i have enough calories left to do do. I also do things to distract myself if I'm not hungry, like take a walk...or go to bed, unless it's only 8 pm, lol.

Or i find some low calorie hard candy like mints, they take awhile to eat and help any cravings for sugar that i might get.
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I would do as pp says and save some cals for an evening snack. Once I have hit my limit I go brush my teeth. I usually don't want to eat after that.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    pre log your day in the morning to include calories for this time.
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It's really easy to give in to cravings at any time. They can turn into a habit. My worst time for cravings is late evening, but if my blood glucose levels aren't low I fight that urge to eat. If I give in once, it's harder to fight the cravings the next time. Just say 'no' :smile:
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I pre-log and figure it out so that I can have treats at night. I save enough calories for a good Blue Cheese dressing and have some celery sticks to dip into it. Also, I allow for a portion of a good organic dark chocolate every day. Usually my final, late-night "snack." I get that chocolate and savor it...and my brain somehow gets that that is it for the day...nothing more 'til breakfast.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Sex

:smiley:
  • RiseandGrind77
    RiseandGrind77 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Sex

:smiley:

This might be a hard one for me to incorporate right now but I like the suggestion.

Actually really great tips for curbing those late night cravings from everyone, please keep them coming!
  • Zerodette
    Zerodette Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Option 1: save calories for some nighttime eating.

Option 2: look at it as a chance to improve your self-discipline. Acknowledge your craving, then say no to it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I always leave enough calories for dessert...sometimes its 400-500, sometimes 100-200. Then I can just eat and not have to worry about "cravings".
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I need to schedule my final meal about 9pm just to make it asleep by 1030p
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    They say drinking a glass of water helps at nighttime. When I get snack attacks at night I like to make an EAS Chocolate protein shake. It's only a hundred fifty calories and fills up my belly.
  • LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Apples, green tea, are supposed to cut hunger. If you are not full eat something like tuna to fill up. If its sugar / salt cravings you get at night...sometimes it's best just to go to sleep.
  • RiseandGrind77
    Options
    Great help and much thanks! I actually tried a combination of some a few tips which worked really well last night. Now I just have to be consistent.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I had trouble with this as well. This may sound dumb, but what helped me was I made a sign that says "kitchen closed" and place it on the refrigerator when I hit my cal goal for the day. It would remind me that I shouldn't indulge.
  • RiseandGrind77
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I had trouble with this as well. This may sound dumb, but what helped me was I made a sign that says "kitchen closed" and place it on the refrigerator when I hit my cal goal for the day. It would remind me that I shouldn't indulge.

I don't think that sounds dumb at all. Actually I think I'll try that. My living room is connected to my kitchen and I always thought it was a bit of a problem. Good idea!

• arditarose
    Options

I would tear down my own sign. Good on you for self control though
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    Brush your teeth after your meal.
    Go to bed earlier.
    Occupy your mind with something stimulating (Tv doesn't count) after dinner.

Basically just try to replace the bad habit with a better one. :smile:
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    This may or may not be helpful, but...

Late night snack cravings were the bane of my existence each and every time I tried to lose weight. I could never seem to resist them, and I'd go on crazy binges.

This time around it just *feels* different. I don't know why. It's like an aha moment. Something just clicked, and for some reason, I have no desire whatsoever to break my plan and snack.

Part of it has been planning out my meals to allow for an evening snack within my calorie goals. I've realized that trying to do otherwise is unrealistic for me.

But part of it was just that my mentality shifted. I *want* to stick with it. For me.

No tips, tricks, advice or encouragement from other people ever made a difference for me one way or the other. I realize that beforehand, I was just making excuses, but it was that I simply didn't want it enough. This time, it's still early days but it feels completely different, just a calm confidence that I will stick with it.

Ultimately it comes down to the fact that nobody can do this for you. You have to want it for you.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I would tear down my own sign. Good on you for self control though

Lol I do sometimes ignore it and indulge but when I get cravings, usually reminding myself of the long term goal helps kill it. There was point in time I seriously considered having a timed lock on the refrigerator so I couldnt open it except for certain times lol.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Well, there's nothing in my fridge but a carton of eggs, some tomatos, mozzarella cheese, hot sauce, and mushrooms. Nothing too tempting.