Best weight loss shakes?

Options
2»

Replies

• cowleyl
    cowleyl Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have just used mfp to compare the nutritional value of one cup of chocolate milk and the shakes I use (Aldi), Iron: choc milk 3, Aldi 33; Protein: choc milk 8, Aldi 18; Fat: choc milk 8, Aldi 2. Calories are the same.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'm busy too. Never had a shake. I just eat right. YMMV
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I prefer protein bars to protein shakes. The closest thing to a shake I have are protein smoothies. I buy whey isolate protein powder and quite often make 4-berry smoothies for breakfast.

In years past I've had a chocolate Boost shake for lunch when needed. But I sure as heck wouldn't try to live on them for long.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have a super crazy schedule and feel like substituting a shake for a meal maybe once or twice a day will help me better maintain my calorie intake. Just wondering if anyone has had experiences with them!

Personally, I only have a protein shake after a workout sometimes, but my wife frequently does muscle milk with almond milk because she is not a breakfast eater. It's not a meal replacement but it is fortified with vitamins. Another good solution would be making a shake with greek yogurt, fruits and veggies.

• 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    cowleyl wrote: »
    I have just used mfp to compare the nutritional value of one cup of chocolate milk and the shakes I use (Aldi), Iron: choc milk 3, Aldi 33; Protein: choc milk 8, Aldi 18; Fat: choc milk 8, Aldi 2. Calories are the same.
    WONDERFUL!
    Well, it's wonderful if the product matches that impressive label claim.
    I'm sure it does.
    Some do not...
    https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein
    http://i.imgur.com/v9cdH.png

• HelloImKelsey
    HelloImKelsey Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Wow some people are harsh.
    I totally understand wanting to use shakes. She's asking what the best kind are because she wants to know which kind are good for weight loss.
    So great job being understanding everyone!!! It really makes this website seem like a welcoming community.

I personally just like any protein powders from the natural departments at supermarkets. You can totally add your own ingredients to them to add flavor as well. My favourite is strawberry powder with some vanilla almond milk and a frozen banana.
    Shakes are super useful when you're short on time and just want something you can drink on your way to work/school. They're easy to keep track of calories as well. I don't know why everyone's making it out like they have so many calories. Mine are always around 150-250 and super filling...
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I totally understand wanting to use shakes. She's asking what the best kind are because she wants to know which kind are good for weight loss.
    So great job being understanding everyone!!! It really makes this website seem like a welcoming community.

I personally just like any protein powders from the natural departments at supermarkets. You can totally add your own ingredients to them to add flavor as well. My favourite is strawberry powder with some vanilla almond milk and a frozen banana.
    Shakes are super useful when you're short on time and just want something you can drink on your way to work/school. They're easy to keep track of calories as well. I don't know why everyone's making it out like they have so many calories. Mine are always around 150-250 and super filling...

In the spirit of being nice, I will amend my comment by saying Sonic shakes are the best for weight loss*.

*Along with a sensible diet with calorie deficit

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

People aren't really being harsh. Protein shakes don't make you lose weight. They are supplements. So while you can supplement a shake for a meal, they inherently will not make you lose weight. Weight loss is purely dependent on a calorie deficit. Heck, I can drink weight gainers and still lose weight.... as they are just high calorie protein shakes (around 600 calories) but since I have a TDEE of 3000 calories, I could easily replace a meal with one of those shakes and still lose weight.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Im at 135 looking to loose about 10lb. Does anyone have any opinions on best/worst weight loss shakes? Are there any at the supermarket that are good? How about total lean by gnc? Any input would be helpful, thanks! :)

i use asda(walmart in usa) meal replacement shakes @ 200 cals made up with skimmed milk.
    reduced that to 108 calories using alpro almond milk.
    i cannot stomach " real food " pre workout,so these work well to fuel me As Part Of My Calories in/ Calories Out daily routine.

i lost 20kg using these a few years back,and another 20kg plus this time around.i also eat under 1800 cals daily and exercise 1 hour plus daily.
    there is no miracle product,but many fit within a specific formula for some us .fact.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    Simple answer: Shakes aren't for losing weight - they are for gaining muscle.
    Chocolate milk is also used for losing weight. People drink it as a meal replacement for fast, temporary weight loss.
    And when you drink chocolate milk with a meal, it can help add some bulk.
    Chocolate milk is versatile like that.
    I recommend Nesquick with added syrup for fast weight gain....
    tj5eqrqolmf3.jpg

frabz-DAFUQ-e04e7c.jpg
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    No, shakes are not for gaining muscle. Shakes don't just make people gain muscle. Shakes do help provide protein if you're having trouble getting it from whole foods or need a convenient source.

To gain muscle it's take a whole lot more work than just drinking a shake.

Let me rephrase - i lift.

But do you have a caloric surplus and lift on a properly designed program that preferably uses linear progression?

yup.

Although if you are taking mass gainers like 4x a day on top of normal meals, you'll gain weight regardless of gym habits.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Im at 135 looking to loose about 10lb. Does anyone have any opinions on best/worst weight loss shakes? Are there any at the supermarket that are good? How about total lean by gnc? Any input would be helpful, thanks! :)

Best shakes in my opinion? Is your blender and a bunch of veggies/fruit/protein.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Shakes are a terrible method of losing weight. The only thing beneficial about them is that they give you an easy way to track your calories. Of course, you could do the same thing with chocolate milk. Two cups of chocolate milk is about the equivalent of a meal. The problem is that the liquid won't stay in your stomach very long and you will be hungry. Better to get your calories from fresh meats and vegetables. Just watch your portion sizes.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Any shake that puts you in a calorie deficit. Or just eat a calorie deficit.

I have a shake about half the time for breakfast, but I do it because it is easy and I hate mornings, not because any specific program will lose weight for me. Sometimes I use a protein powder, sometimes I don't, but shakes aren't magic, they are just a way to help create a deficit
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    shut it
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    No, shakes are not for gaining muscle. Shakes don't just make people gain muscle. Shakes do help provide protein if you're having trouble getting it from whole foods or need a convenient source.

To gain muscle it's take a whole lot more work than just drinking a shake.

Let me rephrase - i lift.

But do you have a caloric surplus and lift on a properly designed program that preferably uses linear progression?

Sorry it took me so long to reply MrM27. And no, I don't science - feel free to add me and critique my food & exercise log <-- this is serious, not sarcasm :)