Is anyone here eating a gluten free diet AND counting calories?

Options
I need to start eating gluten free for medical reasons and I'm thinking about possibly counting calories too. Just wondering if anyone else here does this. Any tips, pointers, etc. for staying within my cals, feeling satisfied, etc. while eating gluten free would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Yes, because I've been eating GF for 4+ years (IBS-type issues) and still got fat by over-eating non-glutinous stuff.

I stay within my calories and feel satisfied by pretty much just having reasonable goals and eating anything I want as long as I hit my protein and fat minimums. I also divide my net needs into 3 meals and eat that every meal. If I exercise then I will eat the extra cals whenever I feel like that day.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    GF for 7+ years here. Also counting calories. Easiest way to stay on track is to eat veggies, fruits, meat, nuts, dairy if you can stand it (gluten intolerants often have issues with lactose as well, so watch for that).

Don't replace your gluten items by processed gluten free ones, it's expensive and usually very high in calories. I use those products as a treat from time to time but not part of the every day diet. I watch my carb intake anyway, so it's easier to just not replace the grains!

• Soon2BeSkinny321
    Soon2BeSkinny321 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input ladies.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free for almost four years and gained weight when I first cut the gluten because I was trying out so many new recipes. Gluten free isn't magically going to make you lose weight. I count calories and I don't eat grain or potatoes for medical reasons. :)
  • froggiebecky
    froggiebecky Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Another GFer here. I'll echo what these ladies said with: don't try to replace gluten-y foods with GF subs. They're pretty terrible for you, and don't taste that great, anyway. Aim to find ways to just work these foods out of your diet. e.g., instead of cereal for breakfast, try boiled eggs and some fruit.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Another GFer here. I'll echo what these ladies said with: don't try to replace gluten-y foods with GF subs. They're pretty terrible for you, and don't taste that great, anyway. Aim to find ways to just work these foods out of your diet. e.g., instead of cereal for breakfast, try boiled eggs and some fruit.

I have replaced a number of glutinous foods with gf replacements: pasta, bread, baked goods. These have all tasted great. I regularly eat corn or rice pasta, and I honestly never noticed much of a difference in taste or texture. I've also done bars, cereals, etc. I do not see the point in completely avoiding a type of food if GF alternatives are available. If they don't taste good, I buy a different brand. Pretty easy.

As far as being bad for you, the ingredients are pretty much no different from the original glutinous stuff other than having to use non-glutinous flours/alternatives and possibly some gums. Not like these will kill you.
  • sing809
    sing809 Posts: 54 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I started eating gluten free a little over a year ago. I noticed that I felt better within the first week. At first I learned to bake with GF replacements, but eventually tried eating more naturally gluten free foods. I gradually lost about 15 to 20 pounds over the year and found myself exercising more and more. Weight loss seemed to stall over the last few months, so I recently switched to a high protein diet with a similar amount of calories to what I had been eating. I suspect that I don't really have gluten intolerance, but that my body is very sensitive to carbs and high GI foods. I am hoping that a higher ratio of protein in my diet will help me reach my goal of having a BMI in the normal range for the first time in my adult life.

Initially, I spent a lot of time learning how to bake GF alternatives to favorite dessert and bread recipes. I didn't really start losing any weight until I started counting calories and skipping GF baked goods. Being GF did make it easier to turn down a lot of unhealthy food choices when I would have otherwise given in to temptation.
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I still count, I still have a deceptive nature within
    If i didn't count I would go over lol!!!! I have to hold myself or have the feeling of accountability

If you are honest with your intake, the absence of gluten from your diet is a good chunk of crap gone... and you wont have to be so critical in counting!
    gl mate
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i'm allergic to wheat and have been gluten free since 1995. and yes, i count calories.

eggs, potatoes, rice, corn tortillas, cheese, broccoli, brussel sprounts, puffed rice cereal, non fat milk are all gluten free. so are lettuce, tofu, meat (i don't eat meal, but maybe you do), corn flakes, mustard. you can get gluten free pizza at some places, and udi's makes gluten free sandwich bread and frozen pizza. most celiacs can eat oats, which means oatmeal and homemade oatmeal cookies.

there are plenty of decent gluten free options, btw - they're not all crap. you don't have to go without bread, cereal, crackers or a large number of other things. there are lots of options from companies like bob's red mill. and if you don't mind junk foods, potato chips, fritos and many other similar items are wheat and gluten free. just read the labels to find out which ones.

to feel satisfied i eat pretty much whatever i ate before i started counting calories, just smaller portions. it took some adjustment, but within 2 weeks, i was good to go with this.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    daynerz wrote: »
    I still count, I still have a deceptive nature within
    If i didn't count I would go over lol!!!! I have to hold myself or have the feeling of accountability

If you are honest with your intake, the absence of gluten from your diet is a good chunk of crap gone... and you wont have to be so critical in counting!
    gl mate

You can easily go over calories even while gluten free.
  • FenTiger89
    FenTiger89 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Sing809, do you have any cookbook recommendations for baking?
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You can easily go over calories even while gluten free.

drrrrr thats what I was Implying <3
  • sing809
    sing809 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    FenTiger89,
    Like I said, baking gluten free did not help me lose weight, but it did help transition me in to eventually eating a healthier gluten free diet. Most of my favorite recipes came from the web. I don't really make them much anymore because I am counting calories and carbs.

Trader Joes makes a pretty good gluten free flour blend. Xantham gum is a common ingredient for baking that is often added to a GF flour blend. Pamela's gluten free baking and pancake mix is very good and has some recipes on the back.

This recipe is very similar to the bread recipe that I liked the best.
    http://glutenfreecooking.about.com/od/glutenfreebreads/r/New-Gluten-Free-Bread-Recipe.htm
    My favorite store bought bread is the Canyon Bakehouse 7 grain bread.

Most brownie recipes are easy to convert because they don't have too much flour.

The Hershey's chocolate cake recipe converts very well to a gluten free version.
    https://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipe-details.aspx?id=96550&amp;name=Gluten-Free-HERSHEY'S-"Perfectly-Chocolate"-Chocolate-Cake

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Yes, because I've been eating GF for 4+ years (IBS-type issues) and still got fat by over-eating non-glutinous stuff.

I stay within my calories and feel satisfied by pretty much just having reasonable goals and eating anything I want as long as I hit my protein and fat minimums. I also divide my net needs into 3 meals and eat that every meal. If I exercise then I will eat the extra cals whenever I feel like that day.
    This x 1,000

• Mountaingirl33
    Mountaingirl33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I know I am late in the discussion...I have Celiac disease so I am gluten free and counting calories. Like others said, it's absolutely possible with smaller portions and gf food doesn't have to be demonized.