Questions about muscle gain/nutrition

Options
I'm 25, 5'2 and 120 pounds. I've lost just about 65 pounds since June and I am looking to figure out the best way to drop my body fat % and gain some muscle.

I use a fitbit to track my workout/steps and have the fitbit scale that measures body fat (unsure of how accurate, but it's been pretty consistent with my loss). Started at 45% and now around 23%. I know I've lost muscle and I would like it back! I'm currently training for my first half marathon and run 5 days a week and I want to strength train with that too.

So my questions are:
How much should I be eating and how much?
What's a good strength training program/ideas for beginners?
Tips or advice?

I'm not looking for overnight results, but want to be stronger, leaner, more toned and healthy. And a bad *kitten* of course. ;)

Thanks!!

Replies

• anachronicles
    anachronicles Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    There are hundreds of calculators online that are great for estimating your calorie needs. Based on your stats the calculator that I use recommends that you eat about 2060 calories per day (this is your total, it already includes the calories burned by exercise). If you want to put on muscle your diet should be mainly comprised of carbs and protein (do not go too low fat, fat is good for your health. I've found a 45-35-20 (c,p,f) split is pretty effective for me, but it varies by person and preference.

Since you're a beginner I would suggest you focus on full-body, functional exercises; these are great at working multiple muscle groups and you're not at the stage where you need to be doing isolation training yet. Functional exercises are movements like Squats, Deadlifts, Rows, Pushups, Pullups, Dips, Bench Press, etc.

A word of warning though, doing cardio 5x a week is going to seriously stall your strength gains. Muscles need ample rest time in order to grow, and if you're running 5x a week and lifting weights your muscles are going to have very little time to actually repair themselves from being torn by your exercise. Then again, it depends on the intensity of your cardio (I'm assuming it's fairly intense though considering you're training for a marathon). This isn't necessarily a bad thing, and I'm not saying you need to quit the cardio. Just be prepared for slow progress.

A great beginner weight lifting program is Stronglifts 5x5. It's a free program with great reviews and ample information is available with a quick google search. It is primarily intended to increase your strength and build muscle, so I think that would be great for you. Whatever program you choose though, make sure you are actually lifting weights that challenege you. Body recomposition occurs when you struggle and lift heavy, not when you lift 5 lb dumbells.

Good luck!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm 25, 5'2 and 120 pounds. I've lost just about 65 pounds since June and I am looking to figure out the best way to drop my body fat % and gain some muscle.
    Pick one or the other. Not going to be able to both.

Drop BF%, then continue eating at a deficit.

Gain muscle, eat a surplus of 200-250 cals.
  • toddselle7
    Options
    I go along with the comments here indicating you're not likely to be able to excel at muscle-building and endurance training simultaneously, but that doesn't mean you can't focus on one and have a supplemental program to support the other.

If you're training for a half-marathon, I'd suggest you keep pursuing your existing training for running, and use simple, basic exercises for moderate strength training (at least until the half-marathon is behind you). Try doing pushups, crunches, squats (using little to no added weight), some type of rowing-motion exercise (even, say, a bentover, one-arm row with a gallon of milk or water), and - if you have a bar and can do them - chin-ups or pull-ups. As long as you're intensively running, I'd advice avoiding exercises with weights for the most part - it'll just take too much out of you.

Isometrics may be helpful, too. I don't know if an online search for "dynamic tension" exercises will turn up specific movements, but that phrase describes the old Charles Atlas program that benefited many people.

I think you can be your own diet expert; you've done fabulous with your weight management! Do be sure to get enough protein, though - at least 1/2 gram per pound that you weigh each day (& many will advise much more, though that does add calories). Just go by how you feel; if you're getting depleted, chronically tired, or grouchy, experiment with adding a reasonable amount of good carbs or protein.

Good luck!
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    toddselle7 wrote: »
    I go along with the comments here indicating you're not likely to be able to excel at muscle-building and endurance training simultaneously, but that doesn't mean you can't focus on one and have a supplemental program to support the other.

If you're training for a half-marathon, I'd suggest you keep pursuing your existing training for running, and use simple, basic exercises for moderate strength training (at least until the half-marathon is behind you). Try doing pushups, crunches, squats (using little to no added weight), some type of rowing-motion exercise (even, say, a bentover, one-arm row with a gallon of milk or water), and - if you have a bar and can do them - chin-ups or pull-ups. As long as you're intensively running, I'd advice avoiding exercises with weights for the most part - it'll just take too much out of you.

Isometrics may be helpful, too. I don't know if an online search for "dynamic tension" exercises will turn up specific movements, but that phrase describes the old Charles Atlas program that benefited many people.

I think you can be your own diet expert; you've done fabulous with your weight management! Do be sure to get enough protein, though - at least 1/2 gram per pound that you weigh each day (& many will advise much more, though that does add calories). Just go by how you feel; if you're getting depleted, chronically tired, or grouchy, experiment with adding a reasonable amount of good carbs or protein.

Good luck!

I agree. Long distance running and lifting heavy/gaining muscle don't work at the same time. You have to pick one or the other. I used to run, but after my marathon last year, I decided to get serious about gaining and did a bulk. I haven't run since June or July and then did a 5K with my dad about a week ago--23:06 (not bad for no training), but running isn't my goal so I don't do it anymore. I tried lifting while marathon training and I was too tired all the time. Just pick one goal and work toward it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

Good luck!

I agree. Long distance running and lifting heavy/gaining muscle don't work at the same time. You have to pick one or the other. I used to run, but after my marathon last year, I decided to get serious about gaining and did a bulk. I haven't run since June or July and then did a 5K with my dad about a week ago--23:06 (not bad for no training), but running isn't my goal so I don't do it anymore. I tried lifting while marathon training and I was too tired all the time. Just pick one goal and work toward it.

And I have to disagree. At least at the training levels OP is talking about (beginner weightlifter, non-elite runner) it's more than possible to do both and do both pretty well.

OP, I'm on the same path as you. I'm 40, 5'3", somewhere around 117 lbs (scale was a bit wonky this morning). I'm cutting, I do Starting Strength and I'm a couple of weeks away from finishing my half-marathon training (not training for any particular race). I'm a beginner runner. I started the training a couple of weeks out from C25K when I realized that I could run 6mi 3 times per wk without a problem. I've been able to handle both programs and increase my strength.

The key is to know when to back off so you don't wipe yourself out. If you're tired, make your runs super-slow and easy. Make sure you schedule at least one day where you do zero exercise. Two is better (I wish my schedule would allow it). Oddly enough, I've found putting the longer runs on a lifting day works better for me. Then the short/medium runs fall on easy days and I get more rest. Expect to stall earlier than normal with the weights. That's fine, and it'll change when you're done cutting and can eat more.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

Good luck!

And I have to disagree. At least at the training levels OP is talking about (beginner weightlifter, non-elite runner) it's more than possible to do both and do both pretty well.

OP, I'm on the same path as you. I'm 40, 5'3", somewhere around 117 lbs (scale was a bit wonky this morning). I'm cutting, I do Starting Strength and I'm a couple of weeks away from finishing my half-marathon training (not training for any particular race). I'm a beginner runner. I started the training a couple of weeks out from C25K when I realized that I could run 6mi 3 times per wk without a problem. I've been able to handle both programs and increase my strength.

The key is to know when to back off so you don't wipe yourself out. If you're tired, make your runs super-slow and easy. Make sure you schedule at least one day where you do zero exercise. Two is better (I wish my schedule would allow it). Oddly enough, I've found putting the longer runs on a lifting day works better for me. Then the short/medium runs fall on easy days and I get more rest. Expect to stall earlier than normal with the weights. That's fine, and it'll change when you're done cutting and can eat more.

I guess I misunderstood the question. I thought she was long distance running and trying to GAIN muscle. Those two things won't happen simultaneously.
  • Zimzimxx2014
    Zimzimxx2014 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers. I currently run between 3-5 miles 4-5 times a week. Like a fast jog type of run (6mph). I love running because it's my 'me' time. But each week my runs get a little longer and my marathon isn't until March. I've been starting just basic strength exercises currently (body weight squats, push ups, planks, crunches), and I would like to be stronger.

If I increase my caloric intake 100 cals each week with strength training, could it be possible for me to gain some muscle? I'm not in any hurry to gain too quickly. But I have NO idea what to do at the gym when it comes to the machines, etc. The last thing I would like to do is injure myself.