In need of emotional eating tips/tricks

Options
Hi,

I just started MyFitnessPal this weekend and I've been doing some thinking. I think I've figured out my biggest trigger for eating those "high calorie, high carb, high fat" foods... It's emotional eating. Whether it's stress at work or something else... for some reason... when I eat when I'm feeling stressed/sad it makes me feel better. Anyone know of any "diet friendly" solutions/tricks if you're on the go (and don't necessarily have time to go do yoga or exercise)?

Thanks again,
Becca

Replies

• thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    There are no tricks that work better than proper nutrition and exercise. Feel free to add me.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I have found compulsive cleaning has been a good crutch for me. I am doing something and at the end I feel a sense of accomplishment.
  • DterMined2012
    DterMined2012 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I have found compulsive cleaning has been a good crutch for me. I am doing something and at the end I feel a sense of accomplishment.
    I am an emotional eater, doesn't matter if I'm stressed, happy, sad I binge!!! I have been researching ways to overcome this but I have to say I like your idea best! Your idea and exercising until the urge passes.

• ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I am an emotional eater, doesn't matter if I'm stressed, happy, sad I binge!!! I have been researching ways to overcome this but I have to say I like your idea best! Your idea and exercising until the urge passes.

I hope it works for you! My bathroom and kitchen sink have been there for me every time!
  • Kapoten
    Kapoten Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Chewing gum sometimes helps me get past a craving.
  • Kapoten
    Kapoten Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Another idea, if you have a smartphone, is to put on headphones and listen to music that you like. Anything that provides a distraction helps for me, and music can sometimes make you feel better too :)
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Going for a walk. Get in the sun even if its only 10 min. I also will make myself do something I don't want to do for 15 minutes like go through a pile of papers or a pile of clutter or fold clotges or weedwack. This helps. I get healthy snacks and remove all my temptors. I am allowed m6 serving and that is it. I will then get on mfp if I am tempted or eat a big green salad which really you cant go wrong with! I look at inspiring weight loss vids on youtube or healthy looking thinspo for inspiration. And turning to something healthy instead or allowing yourself to feel wgat you feel as you feel it has helped me to be healthier and not create such a dependent on the food fir comfort. I can still love my food but have it be a different kind of relationship.
  • Lien4health
    Lien4health Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Encouraging dialog. It's been a slow process for me to even recognize and own the fact that more often than not, it's emotion that drives my eating patterns. I haven't figured out why I think I need to cycle from a 3 week success period to binging to reverting back to old/poor behavior but this feedback may help me push through this barrier I seem to have.

There are a couple audio books by Geneen Roth I would listened to on the way to work. I feel they have helped me identify with the emotional eating pattern. It's a slow process for me. I'm on day 3 of committing to no scale november. This has been very difficult ... this may be yet one more step in breaking through the cycle described above.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I have even found the weather can trigger me.. if it's suddenly gone cold after a warm streak I get into cozy mode and want to overeat while at home snuggled with my cats.. it's a comfort thing.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    At work I find just standing up and getting away from my desk for a few minutes helps. Go to the bathroom or get a drink of water (as long as it doesn't trigger grabbing nearby snacks) or walk to someone's office and talk face to face instead of using the intercom.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Is there a group for this topic? If not, it might be a good idea.
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    This may sound weird. But I am currently doing 5:2 which means I eat TDEE 5 days a week and 500 calories 2 days a week. This has really helped me to identify hunger vs emotional eating.
    I use to be driving home from work - thinking "I have had a stressful day, I deserve some chocolate chip cookies"
    - Now I am better able to see that it is emotional eating only and having a treat will ultimately make me feel worse.

I am always in awe of people that exercise/clean etc - do something productive to get rid of negative emotions.
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options

And another reason why I like you. Yes I clean too. My floors are always spotless! And thats with a 5 year old and 2 dogs. But cleaning settles my mind when things go crazy. The same way food used to.
  • Teamcampo
    Teamcampo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am having issues myself. Technically, I am at goal and have kept almost 45 pounds off for several years, but behind closed doors, I have slipped backwards into eating when not hungry. My family just relocated to a new state and I am pretty sure it is a result of all the change and I am eating out of emotion. I have tried to come up with a million plans, but it is like I get into a trance and just start eating standing up at the counter! I don't have a ton of time to be online, but if you think it would be helpful to buddy up and hold each other accountable (quick text or email daily), I would be up for that! Nobody else seems to understand. Thanks for the post!
  • kristimason3
    kristimason3 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Substitutions. Plain and simple. Find lower calorie foods that give you the same satisfaction. Has worked for me. I eat just as often as before, just different stuff.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I just simply chew sugarless gum between meals and never allow myself to snack. It's worked better than I ever imagined.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    i play player-vs-player video games or do otherwise competitive things. competition helps me blow off steam.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Some tips learned during my classes:
    1. Wait ten minutes, then go eat the snack. (I guess you get used to deferring satisfaction, keep it under control)
    2. I keep my hands busy with needlecrafts of some kind.
    3. Mindfulness exercise such as deep breathing (new ways to manage stress/emotions)
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    being mindful was the first step, for me. make yourself log it. look at it. look at the nutritional value. think about it as you're chewing it; is it really helping anything? do you feel better? has anything been solved? I used to eat my emotions in front of a mirror, just so I could SEE what I was doing to myself. it's taken a couple of years, but now when I'm having a bad day, and the random office snacks start calling my name, I can look at them and pull up a general nutritional value for them in my head (because I've eaten/logged them enough times in the past), and I remember that it didn't help the last time; in fact, that sugar spike sent me into an even bigger binge, and... it's just not worth it. distractions/keeping busy are also good. instant gratification actions (cleaning) usually WILL help you feel better. good luck figuring out what works for you! :)
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I find brushing my teeth help, I no longer feel for that greasy/salty/sweet craving. I chew gum, drink lots of water, um? I avoid picking up not so healthy food at the grocery store, I do my best to avoid routes with fast food restaurants.
    And last but not least, I ask yourself, am I hungry? If so eat celery. lol