Tricks to speed up metabolism (post anorexia)

Options
I've always been more curvy - was 5'8'' 135 pounds and 34DD, hourglass figure. But I decided I didn't like being curvy (wish i could go back in time and just stay the way i was) and wanted to be very skinny. I lost 20 pounds in less than a month and only ate 200-400 calories a day from those 100 calorie packs for meals and if I ate 400 id throw it up. That slowed down my metabolism a lot. I met my boyfriend and he kept convincing me to eat more. Well now I'm 150 pounds and my metabolism is verrryyy slow as a result of what I did to my body. I want to lose weight but it is very hard for me to do now. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how I can speed up my metabolism and lose weight after what I did to my body? Does anyone have experience with a similar situation?

Thank you! :)

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I honestly never really had an issue, that I noticed, with slowing of metabolism after my ED, and I was very severe, (72Ibs at 5'11 and eating half a rice cake a day) at my worst when I was 18. I just went back to eating normally, and presumably my body eventually adjusted and realised it was going to get enough food.

I can only suggest ensuring you have eaten at your maintenance calories for at least a period of a month or two, and then dropping your calories by around 250 for a slow weight loss, if you wish to lose weight, and getting into some weight training to mold your body as you go along.
  • SMarieEM
    SMarieEM Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Wow that is crazy skinny! Glad you started eating normal again!!!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    SMarieEM wrote: »
    Wow that is crazy skinny! Glad you started eating normal again!!!

Yeah, I think my parents being told I had 24 hours to live was sort my wakeup call, plus my lips going blue all the time. I feared death more than I feared being bigger. But really, I am not sure that the metabolism remains sub par for that long once normal eating is returned to. One helpful way would be, as said, to take up weights and change your body composition so that you have more muscle and less fat. That, and ensuring you eat enough that your body now knows it is 'safe' from starvation, so to speak.

Also, get your thyroid checked as I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism after a second bout of eating disordered issues some years later.

• SMarieEM
    Options
    Wow! Scary!!!! Hypothyrodism is another possibility my metabolism could be slow. I have heard here in Alaska people can get it from the crappy well water we have here. Not sure if that is true or not but my aunt got it once she moved up here.
  • Ash_danielle
    Ash_danielle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    5'8 and 150 is a healthy weight. I bet you look great! Have you tried weight lifting for more definition and toning?
  • SMarieEM
    Options
    I haven't tried weight lifting but I bet that would help my body a lot. I get free gym membership at the hospital I work at after patient hours ! My job involves loading and unloading 300lb carts so that gives me a little bit of toning and exercise ! haha.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    take up a sport that requires aerobic workouts. cross country skiing, mountain biking, running, swimming, hiking, kayaking. Basically get off your *kitten* and exercise and your metoblism will respond accordingly. no tricks, just the way the body works.
  • SMarieEM
    Options
    I snowshoe:) I live in Alaska and live to hike, hunt and snowshoe:) Strength is more my issue.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Physical exercise of any type will help to increase metabolism. But make sure you're not under eating while doing it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You bet, what you do is slowly reintroduce calories in, that doesnt mean maintenance calories right away, you have to build up to it again, and your metabolism will ignite its fire it had surely before your anorexia...
    Search Layne Norton - Metabolic Damage on you tube and watch his vid and insight on this
    - he is a bodybuilder and nutritional doctor
    - He will help you understand immensley! Go now!!!! :D
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I've seen that name before ...he seems to be roundly condemned on this site
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    A nutritional doctor???

Really?

I've never heard of that qualification

A PhD in nutrition is a possibility - the sky is the limit ;)

• Sued0nim
    Options
    Yeah ...I googled him , saw his bio and edited :smile:

• harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Yeah ...I googled him , saw his bio and edited :smile:

I googled him just to make sure my sarcasm actually had some truth to it
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Personally I'd say Doctor of Nutrition ...and then chuckle

Sounds different to nutritional doctor

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    SMarieEM wrote: »
    I snowshoe:) I live in Alaska and live to hike, hunt and snowshoe:) Strength is more my issue.

You are confusing me.

Your Original post states you want to lose weight and speed up your metoblism.

To speed up your metoblism go burn more calories. Exercise and sweat for a few hours 3x a week.
    To lose weight/fat eat at a calorie deficit.

However if you want to add muscle and strength.
    lift heavy and eat at a calorie surplus. P

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    You really should see someone who specializes in the physical recovery from eating disorders (maybe a specialty dietician). You are certainly not the only person who has gone through this and I'm sure there is help out there (I mean from someone medically trained in ED recovery, not the web or a personal trainer).

If you haven't had counseling for the mental/emotional side, you should see someone for that as well.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Agree with poster above...but also you might want to check out the Eat More 2 Weigh Less group - they talk a lot about body recomposition and working on metabolism. They have a great online site as well as group on MFP. Wonderful support as well!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Agree with poster above...but also you might want to check out the Eat More 2 Weigh Less [\b]group - they talk a lot about body recomposition and working on metabolism. They have a great online site as well as group on MFP. Wonderful support as well!

If you are not losing at a certain calorie level, how does it make sense to increase it?
  • mcspiffy88
    mcspiffy88 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I would suggest having your thyroid checked out. but at any rate your family physician should be able to point into the right direction.

If it all checks out (hope so) you will probably have to do some strength training .. muscle loss is an issue with anorexia and keep in mind it is muscle that burns a lot of cals during the day even if you dont use them.