What should I eat at restaurants/ fast food?

Options
When I go out with friends to a restaurant and they have absolutely no healthy items on the menu, what do I settle for? : (

I don't want to throw all my hard work off track but I can't avoid going out with people either because they take offence.

I'd pack my own food from home to be honest but that's not awkward for the person i'd be going out with, haha.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Replies

• eagertoloseweight1
    Options
    Eat a healthy salad!!.
  • Buff2022
    Buff2022 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I mainly will go with a single burger. No cheese or mayo. Grilled Chicken works to, might want to skip the sauce. Salads but see what is on there that you can take off.

Kids meals work too.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    What kind of restaurant? Usually there's something 'sort of' healthy or you can eat an appetizer or something small (share with a friend). I had BK today and had a grilled chicken salad with cranberries and apples (no goat cheese blegh) and light baslamic dressing. I think it came out to around 310 cals- I'd have to look at my diary. It was hard to resist the fries, but I felt good that I did. You could even order a salad and one other 'unhealthy' thing that you really like and will really enjoy if you've saved the cals for it. If you don't go out every single night I don't see a big deal :)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot and I was going to write a blog on this.

Portion size is your FRIEND. Eat small.
    Drink water, coffee, or tea. Save calories for food.
    Fill up on things like salad, fruit, and soup.

1) Pick the one food you really want to eat that will taste great and have a small helping of it. That's why you're going out, right?
    2) Eat soup (avoid cream soups, but anything with a clear broth like chicken or beef is great). It's really filling.
    3) Salad. Ask for dressing on the SIDE.
    4) Lots of places have fresh fruit.
    5) Any meat without sauces will not be that bad.

Avoid bread, rice, pasta, etc. etc. Lots of calories really fast.
    Avoid sauces - any cream sauce has a lot of fat and a lot of calories - all cream and butter. That's why they taste good.
    If you do get a sauce, go for tomato.

I just got back from a weekend in New Orleans (I'm in Chile right now). I stayed under my calorie limit, ate beignets and excellent food, and lost 2 pounds (broke a plateau).
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    If it's not a local mom-and-pop place, you should be able to look up nutrition information online in advance. That's what I do. If there really is no good option, then immediately box up half of your entree when you get it and take it home. For fast food, there really are no good options; grilled chicken is usually a better bet than anything if it's available, with as few accoutrements as possible. Substituting something other than French fries (or anything fried) for your side is also good, if it's available.
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Salads with meat (and dressing). Meats without the carbs (no bread, no potatoes, etc) but with all the other accompaniments (like veggies, cheese, etc)
    Salads are my mainstay for going out. Just make sure you have some fat and protein with them or you'll starve and be grumpy! :)
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Nothing. Make good habits by not eating out. For any reason.

If its for a mandatory corporate function go for a grilled meat salad with vinegarette.
  • jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I use the MFP app on my phone to find the calories and make a decision. You would be surprised how many calories is hiding in mayo, fries and soda. If you go with a chicken sandwich, look for grilled. You can eat just about anywhere and be just fine. Just be choosy about what you eat.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Whatever you want that fits in your macro/caloric goals for the day.
  • arianamzai
    arianamzai Posts: 36
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone! I'll try to incorporate these ideas the next time I have to go out. : )
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options

If its for a mandatory corporate function go for a grilled meat salad with vinegarette.

I agree that it is good habit to not ever eat fast food, for any reason.
    But it's a shame to only go to a restaurant when it's for work.
    It is totally possible to go to a restaurant and have a nice time with family and friends without stuffing oneself.
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    I always stick to the kids meals. The portion sizes are more the size I think are appropriate, and they usually offer healthier options (i.e. apples as a side). I have a huge weak spot for burrito places...so I get the burrito bowls in the kids size. :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    At a non-fast food places I look for a lean meat (chicken breast, small steak filet, pork chop, fish) that is not breaded or fried and pair with veggie sides. And skip or limit bread, depending on how many calories I have to spare. Or sometimes a big salad that comes with grilled meat on it. I love a salad topped w/ sirloin and blue cheese.

I rarely eat fast food, but I'd just check the website before going and order something that fit my goals, or at least came close.
  • 1duffwf
    1duffwf Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If possible - check out the restaurants menu before going so you have an idea what to order before you get there. Here are some of my favorite go tos:
    *Grilled Chicken Salad - no cheese or croutons. I also get low fat dressing on the side
    *Chicken Taco Salad - no cheese and do not eat the shell. Use the salsa as a delicious dressing!
    *Chicken or shrimp fajitas - just skip the wrap.
    *Burger - no bun, cheese, or sauces. Add a touch of ketchup (its loaded with sugar), some mustard, and load up with lettuce,
    tomato and onion
    *Baked fish (no breading) - if it comes with a potato option I will swap it with my hubby for his veggies.
    *Salad bar - Pizza Hut (for example) has an "unlimited salad bar" option for like $5 or $6. I'll go up there 2-3 times and load my
    plate up!
    *I also look at the "healthy options" menu that are available at most big chain restaurants (like Olive Garden, Applebees,
    Panera, Chili's)

*Avoid alcohol and deep fried appetizers!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want, stay within your calorie goals and you'll be fine.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

Lol.

The only unhealthy food is one eaten in excess. Live and enjoy life. One meal isn't going to undo what you've done the rest of the week.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Nothing.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

Gonna have to QFT

Edited to add: and even if you go over your calorie goals once in a while, it's not a big deal in grand scheme of things. An occasional night out, blowing past your calorie goals won't derail any true effort and hard work you put in.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

Wow, you must have no joy in your soul.

Dining out isn't just for the food, there's the company, not having to cook your own food, not having to do the dishes, the company...

Learning how to eat healthy food in healthy amounts is key. If you put your mind to it, you can find acceptable food just about anywhere. I however haven't stepped foot into a McDonalds or a Burger King in almost 2 years. Wendy's however, I'll have a small Chili and/or maybe one of the chicken go wraps.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

Gonna have to QFT

Edited to add: and even if you go over your calorie goals once in a while, it's not a big deal in grand scheme of things. An occasional night out, blowing past your calorie goals won't derail and true effort and hard work you put in.

Gonna have to QFT :bigsmile: