Delayed Period

Options
HCalanAlfano
HCalanAlfano Posts: 19 Member
edited November 2014 in Motivation and Support
Ladies,

Does anyone know how much exercise it takes to affect your period?

I have read that over-training can affect delay your cycle. Right now, I am three days late. Last week, to deal with extra stress (ironically, as that too can delay cycles) I added two extra hours of Pilates to my routine.

Is this enough to change my period? I am concerned, being that my boyfriend (of three years) and I, have almost finished college without having any pregnancy scares. This is a first for me!

When I overcame my eating disorder, my period became regular, even as I established a solid fitness pattern (Three days of Pilates/yoga plus dance/cardio kick boxing, two days of just cardio, one day of just Pilates/yoga and one rest day. My calorie intake at the end of the day is around 1200. I am 5'0 tall. Measurements/frame: 34-24-35.)

I know this could also be due to the two to three weeks of extra stress I experienced at work, but this sort of thing is so hard pinpoint its making me anxious. Is it possible this small change in my level of fitness is a factor?

Thanks for your support!

Replies

• harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Is there a Doctor in the house? Cuz thats what you need ;)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    No, it's not enough.

Stress can do it, but until you get to super low bodyfat % or a really really really deep deficit consistently every day - it's not exercise.

• cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yes! Exercise & stress can affect your period cycle significantly. If you don't get your period within the next couple days, I don't think it would hurt to take a pregnancy test. Good luck to you!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    epic face palm.
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    It's not late until it's 7 days late.
    That said, the most common cause of a late period is pregnancy.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I think you're pregnant
  • HCalanAlfano
    HCalanAlfano Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I started spotting today. I think you were right; it really was stress, @MrsMay1986.

Thanks guys!