Cross trainer/elliptical trainer advice

Options
I've just bought myself a cross trainer this weekend. I used it yesterday for 5 mins and that was all I could manage. I've tried again today but still only 5 mins! Am I doing something wrong or am I trying to run before I can walk? Any advice gratefully received

Replies

• cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    i started same way.
    5 increased to 8.
    now can do 10.break 2 mins then 10 more plus 3 cooldown.total 23.
    keep plugging away.
    g luck
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Can you adjust the workload? Perhaps start with less and work your way up.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    It all starts somewhere. When I first started, I slowly increased the load throughout the workout. For example, if the incline went to 10 and I was only going to squeak out 5 minutes, then every minute I would move up by 1-2 until I couldn't go any further.
  • jorbjorb
    Options
    can you stay on their longer on the easiest level? do level 1 for like 15 mins. than do level 2 next week
  • Chelsea16571
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice. I'll stick with it and hopefully it will come in time and looks like I am on the right track. It's such a different experience than the exercise bike that I'm used to

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    It's going to take a while to build up. Don't worry. Keep your pace measured rather than fast and frantic, keep the resistance down right now; you can bring it up later. See if you can add 5 minutes every couple weeks. When you're up to 30 minutes and get comfy with that, then you can start increasing resistance.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    My first time on the elliptical was terrible, but you will build up stamina on it quickly. I agree with gothchiq above, don't try to go too fast and build up by increasing resistance instead of speed.
  • Chelsea16571
    Options
    Fantastic @gothchiq and @sofaking6 much appreciated advice, sure I'll soon get the hang of it
  • cw106
    Options
    now up to 30minutes per session.
    it is getting more manageable with time put in.
  • cw106
    Options
    ended nov on a high with a 60 min session.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!!! There are rewards you can never get unless you work hard for them, so enjoy :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Make a note of time, distance, resistance and that becomes a useful tool to chart progress.