Thanksgiving Day Challenge

Options
I am planning on hiking 20 miles on Thanksgiving morning. That way I won't feel guilty. Love to have you metaphorically join me.

Replies

• rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I'll metaphorically hike 20 miles with you (aka eat stuffing). :smile:
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    The day before sounds better and then Black Friday shopping that night and the day after for even more walking!!!

I mean how much do you plan on eating to feel that guilty? Idk 20 miles on Thanksgiving Day is too much. Isn't that like the entire day?

Relax and watch some football or a parade.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    20 miles is a lot of turkey. I will probably only do 2 or 3 miles.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you start at 4am, you should be done just in time for dinner, unless you're the one cooking the turkey. It looks like I'll be making a 600 mile hike that morning, but I'll be doing mine in a Chevy pickup.

But something to think about, the typical Thanksgiving feast is 4,500 calories, so you'll still need to watch your portion size if you don't want to gain weight.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I LOVE thanksgiving food so I feel your sentiment here. I'm with you metaphorically, but in reality I'll run that morning (probably 4 miles) so I can eat a semi normal (for me) thanksgiving feast. I'm so ready!!!
  • tchell99
    tchell99 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I plan to do a Turkey Trot and then eat in moderation.
  • jonjhayden
    jonjhayden Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    KylaDenay wrote: »
    The day before sounds better and then Black Friday shopping that night and the day after for even more walking!!!

I mean how much do you plan on eating to feel that guilty? Idk 20 miles on Thanksgiving Day is too much. Isn't that like the entire day?

You're welcome to do the hike whenever you want. Or not. I simply invited you. You are welcomed to "relax", but I think I will challenge myself, thank you very much.

It's not about guilt for me, it's about meeting my numbers. Not to mention I figure I would burn around 450 cal/hr hiking at an average pace of 3.5mph. At that rate I would complete the hike in 5.75 or so. This would only would yield a calorie deficit of 2593 calories. Now considering that a typical Thanksgiving meal can run 4500 calories (not that I intend to eat that much) it really is not that unreasonable.
    If you start at 4am, you should be done just in time for dinner,
    I figure on leaving around 5am and being done by 11am. No sweat. Well before dinner time.

Call me crazy but I love unique challenges.

• KylaDenay
    Options
    jonjhayden wrote: »
    KylaDenay wrote: »

You're welcome to do the hike whenever you want. Or not. I simply invited you. You are welcomed to "relax", but I think I will challenge myself, thank you very much.

It's not about guilt for me, it's about meeting my numbers. Not to mention I figure I would burn around 450 cal/hr hiking at an average pace of 3.5mph. At that rate I would complete the hike in 5.75 or so. This would only would yield a calorie deficit of 2593 calories. Now considering that a typical Thanksgiving meal can run 4500 calories (not that I intend to eat that much) it really is not that unreasonable.
    If you start at 4am, you should be done just in time for dinner,
    I figure on leaving around 5am and being done by 11am. No sweat. Well before dinner time.

Call me crazy but I love unique challenges.

Oh but it is. You said that in your OP.

Enjoy your hike and your Thanksgiving :)

• JLCrunch
    JLCrunch Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I plan on cycling 10+ miles on my stationary bike the morning of. I don't think it'll cover all of the calories I may consume but it will definitely cover most. I don't plan on being conservative that day. It comes once a year and, for example, if I skip the pie, it's all I'll be able to think about for the entire week or so following. Why torture myself? I'll live it up FOR THE DAY and enjoy, being sure to skip any take home care packages or decadent leftover bundles.
  • jonjhayden
    jonjhayden Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Touche. I should read what I type more closely. :smiley:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    My Thanksgiving day challenge: Eat meat, eat vegetables, eat 2 slices of pie, drink red wine...don't move.
  • JLCrunch
    JLCrunch Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    My Thanksgiving day challenge: Eat meat, eat vegetables, eat 2 slices of pie, drink red wine...don't move.

*high-five*
  • KylaDenay
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I second this, but I'm including the stuffing, gravy and cranberry sauce

• MattNorrisUL
    MattNorrisUL Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    great plan. I'm not going for 20 miles but I do plan on running about 5 miles on Thanksgiving morning. Good luck. After my 5 miles, I'm climbing up on some turkey, dressing, etc haha
  • karinschoultz
    karinschoultz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    tchell99 wrote: »
    I plan to do a Turkey Trot and then eat in moderation.

That is what I plan on doing.
  • Bj0223
    Bj0223 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I hiked 5 miles last Thanksgiving morning and it was great. Plan to do the same this year.
    Turkey, pie and wine, oh my!
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I'm cooking, so I'll agree to do my hike on pie day (aka wednesday) then go home and make pies.
  • JenWoo77
    JenWoo77 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I won't get 20 miles in, but I will get at least 5 and also do my ab challenge exercises!! Good Luck guys!