Need some help and suggestions please :)

Options
I have 150 lbs to lose and I would like to start working out (weights) at home. I'm looking for good DVDs suggestions. TIA :)

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    What kind of weights do you have at home?
  • formyballerina
    formyballerina Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    None at the moment... will have to buy some :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If you want to workout with weights, what do you need DVDs for?
  • formyballerina
    formyballerina Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Because I'm clueless lol.... I want to make sure I'm hitting all areas and doing the right techniques for weightloss.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    For general fitness and weight loss, it's best to use a combination of strength and cardio training. Cardio for heart and lung health and weight loss, and strength training to maintain muscle and maximize fat loss.

Cardio is pretty straight forward. Walking, bicycling, various DVDs, dancing, ... anything that gets your heart rate up for 20-60 minutes.

Strength training is a little trickier. If you've never done it before, it's best to follow a proven beginner program. If you have access to a barbell with plenty of weight plates and racks, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting, Stronglifts 5x5, Strong Curves, and all-pro beginner are good programs. all-pro can be modified for heavy dumbbells.

If you don't have lots of room for equipment, a suspension trainer, like TRX or Jungle Gym, aren't bad choices. Or you can do a bodyweight program, like You Are Your Own Gym, Body By You, or Convict Conditioning.

The key to any strength training program is progression. All newbies should be able to progress pretty rapidly. Start easy and light, focus on good form, and add weight/difficulty weekly (or even faster, for some programs).

Most beginner strength programs are full-body routines, 3 days a week. You can do cardio on off days. Or, if you're not too worn out, do your cardio after your strength routine.

For most people, starting a strength training program is very rewarding. You'll be amazed at how fast you get stronger!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Because I'm clueless lol.... I want to make sure I'm hitting all areas and doing the right techniques for weightloss.

Research of few of the better programs and use those as a guide. Which program you go with will depend on what equipment you have access too.

I'd start by reading up on:
    - starting strength
    - new rules of lifting
    - you are your own gym
    - convict conditioning

The first 2 are traditional weight routines, the second 2 are body weight routines.

I'm not familiar with any good DVD-based weight programs.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Go onto Youtube and watch as many different techniques and styles of lifting. Don't take advice from any single Youtuber. Look around and find the most accurate information you can. There are a few guys out there who are in it to make money and are not the most helpful.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    If you want to workout with weights, what do you need DVDs for?

Yeah this.

And what workout program would be good for you would depend largely on what equipment you'd have available to use. My weight set and rack were $300 apiece, but if you're budget constrained, a set of adjustable dumbbells will get you pretty far.