If i'm over my calories...

Replies

• redrumxtina
    redrumxtina Posts: 10 Member
    you should not be counting calories you should be counting carbs, sugars.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    It's really up to you how you log your calories. You would be the only one who would know but IMO you should log what you eat, when you eat it. Be accountable every day for what you do. You can still work it off the next day, just account for it where it belongs. My failures in the past were largely due to "cheating" the system a little here, a little there, until I was so far off track I couldn't find my way back.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member

edited because I can't compete with this level of stupidity.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I agree that it could be a slippery slope to "hide" calories like that. It's much more honest and accurate to log what you eat within the day and then maybe make a note on the next day's diary to remind you to eat a bit less that day or work a bit harder in the gym. Hell, I've seen several instances where a day here and there going over actually seems to help some folks lose because they're so strict with their calories. We all need a break now and then, just don't make a habit of it.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Well, you can but it's cheating. Like you're just working the numbers to make it show what you want it to. Log accurately so you can identify patterns and make changes as necessary. As long as you stay around your goal for the week you should be alright, but don't go twisting things around to feel better about your day.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

Where did you read that the OP is a diabetic? ... I missed that part
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Just log it, own it, and move on... That's my motto. Yup, I ate the entire bag of chocolate covered pretzels that put me over. Guess what? It didn't kill me. I didn't immediately gain 10 lbs. Everyday is a new day!
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Question: If I go over my calories for a certain day, do you think I could just log the amount over for the next day so I make up for it by working it off/eating less the day after? (I hope this makes sense...)

For example, say I accidentally eat 500 cals over (hey, accidents happen!) one day, can I just log 500 calories for the next day so I either do more cardio to work it off or eat less? Thoughts?

If you ate over one day, you ate over. Why not be honest and just log it when you ate it and move forward? Like you said, accidents happen.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Well, you can but it's cheating. Like you're just working the numbers to make it show what you want it to. Log accurately so you can identify patterns and make changes as necessary. As long as you stay around your goal for the week you should be alright, but don't go twisting things around to feel better about your day.

And this.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Carrying over to another day won't make a difference - your body doesn't do an end of week calculation to figure out if you came under/over when allocating weight loss/gain. Just treat each day as its own and you'll be fine. Don't get into the mentality of punishing yourself with extra cardio or depriving yourself of nutrition because you had a spill or you'll dread the process. It's about the long haul, not the immediate gains.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    no ................
  • erin4609
    erin4609 Posts: 131 Member
    ok, i'm not talking about doing it everyday, i'm talking about doing it ONCE.

I DO own it if i go over my calories, they're just calories, what is there to hide? but i don't want it to effect my progress.

nevermind, the negative response and assumptions on this post was overwhelming. i'm sorry i posted it.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    The problem with just logging it for the next day is it can be a bad habit to get into. You'll end up being hungry the next day because you're giving yourself an extra deficit, so you eat a little extra, that you log for the next day after that, etc. ...

I would just accept being over and move on.
  • jacksonpt

I DO own it if i go over my calories, they're just calories, what is there to hide? but i don't want it to effect my progress.

nevermind, the negative response and assumptions on this post was overwhelming. i'm sorry i posted it.

But you're not making any sense... if you log them the day you eat them or the next day, you still ate them. Progress is affected regardless of when you log them. And for most people... what you do once you will do again.
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Heck yea! I go by calories for the week, not day.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member

You can play a shell game with your food all you want. Just like people who log "cleaning the house" and "shopping" and wonder why they aren't losing weight. If once isn't a big deal to you, then why bother asking in the first place?
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    It looks like there is pretty much a consensus that it's best to just log it and move on. I will add another vote to that. The more honest and accurate you are with yourself in your logging the more successful you will be. Also, if you log what you want to eat BEFORE you eat it you are much less likely to have an "accident". Hang in there!
  • erin4609
    erin4609 Posts: 131 Member
    Logging it THAT day (lol so i'm not "hiding" anything or "cheating" ) and logging it the next day too is what i'm talking about. to remind me to eat less, or work it off. This makes sense to me.
  • jacksonpt
    Logging it THAT day (lol so i'm not "hiding" anything or "cheating" ) and logging it the next day too is what i'm talking about. to remind me to eat less, or work it off. This makes sense to me.

ah, I see what you're getting at... logging them twice. Sure, that will help if you need that level of control.
  • mshopey
    mshopey Posts: 125 Member
    I went over by over a thousand yesterday.
    I underestimated how much a meal was going to, then when i checked online later, it was loads.
    I went for a walk, did a bit of cardio, and i've been extra good today.
    There's no point in not writing it, i was worried.
    And i have an open diary, so i thought people would judge.
    We all make mistakes, just got to get through them and carry on.