Super Simple, Super Quick lunch ideas?

Options
I'm looking for SUPER quick, super easy, super simple lunch ideas that I do not have to prepare in advance. I prefer to make my lunches before I leave for work in the morning due to a very tight schedule. Leftovers are not an option most of the time, as I do not cook enough food to have leftovers (or my husband and I would overeat!)

So what I'm looking for is some ideas for very very quick, healthful, simple things I could throw into a lunch bag. I would like almost no preparation.

I've been taking things like raw veggies, boiled eggs, string cheese, fruit, etc. Any other ideas?

Replies

• brandigyrl81
    brandigyrl81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    In addition to the list you've already mentioned, I'd suggest some nuts and/or peanut butter or maybe some granola. Also, you can buy a bag of salad and add your own toppings. In my opinion, the best thing to do is prepare in advance because the non-prepared foods can quickly become processed if you're not careful. For example, you can bake some boneless, skinless chicken breasts on Sunday and throughout the week, use the chicken in your salad, on a sandwich, etc.
  • brandigyrl81
    brandigyrl81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Oooh! I thought of some more: Yogurt cups, Tuna and/or Salmon, Sardines, Crackers...
  • sparkynazca
    sparkynazca Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Good ideas! :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I just ate a can of Cole's petit rainbow trout in escabache sauce and a pumpkin spice chobani yogurt. It was easy. I definitely recommend the little trout.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Takes like, 30 seconds to make a PB&J.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    or a hummus and veg sammich. We eat those alot here.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Canned beans - You can rinse them and smash them a little and throw on a tortilla with a little cheese. If you have a microwave or toaster a work you can even heat it a bit. I usually have some left over quinoa or ancient grains in the fridge. I toss that with beans and some veggies for a more filling fiber rich lunch.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Protein bars work for me in a pinch. They really stave off the hunger and some of them taste great. I'm partial to the Pure Protein peanut butter flavor. I also pack fruit like apples and bananas. The other things you list are great too.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    A basic sandwich or wrap is not unhealthy and is fast. You could use whole grain bread, pita bread, a tortilla or lettuce. You can use almost anything for a filling in different combinations. Hummus, meat, cheese, egg, vegetables, sliced fruit, or nut butters.
    Dry cereal, whole grain crackers, nuts, dried fruit, peanut butter and celery or apple.
    Canned beans added to salad.
    Hummus and veggies or pita chips.
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    do you have access to a microwave at work? if so, i take a frozen vegie patty (like morningstar farms or boca burger) add some fresh/frozen broccoli and cook for 2 minutes. While that is cooking, I slice a tomato - takes 2 minutes to prepare and is visually appealing and delicious
  • Chaotic_Weevil
    Chaotic_Weevil Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Keep some sliced ham and cheese from the deli in the fridge. Grab some of that and a bag of lettuce leaves and have lettuce wraps.

• ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    • Can of black beans and two tablespoons of salsa.
    • Frozen veggies spiced up - curry, pepper, lemon, smoked paprika
    • Trader Joe's pre-cooked lentils
    • nonfat cottage cheese and any available fruit
    • nonfat greek yogurt and fruit or maple syrup or spices (cinnamon or za'tar)

I avoid peanut butter except as a treat. It is mostly fat with some protein. I flavor foods with peanut butter powder. Most of the oils have been pressed out of the nuts.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Left overs.

Freeze them- then you can't eat them till lunch.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    A couple times a week I bring a little tupperware with 3 or 4 oz. of frozen shrimp and a little container of cocktail sauce for dipping. A little bath in cold water for a few minutes a lunchtime and they are good to go.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    burrito wrap (90 cal's), ole farmers ham (30 cal/oz), mozzarella cheese (about 100 cal's worth should be fine). Zap it in the microwave for a few seconds to melt the cheese - or not. Roll it up. Pound it down. B)

Add condiments to suit.
  • jstrun
    jstrun Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    make your own frozen entrees...spend 1 sunday making 10 servings of something or 5 of on recipe and 5 of the other and freeze them. boom 2 weeks worth of lunches.
  • crunchergirl
    crunchergirl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wormstrup14
    wormstrup14 Posts: 45
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Sometimes on Monday morning I will grab a loaf of bread, package of lunch meat, tomato, handful of lettuce, handful of spinach, and a cucumber and throw them in a bag. Then I have enough to make a sandwich every day for lunch and I'm not having to pack something every morning. I take the leftovers home Friday.
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My current favorite is: low carb whole wheat tortilla, frozen costco salmon burgers, goat cheese, salsa. I can keep all the making for it at work, just heat up the salmon patty in teh microwave, chop it up and make some yummy fish tacos!
    4is73ye4a6lu.jpg

• jstrun
    jstrun Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    elsie_fair wrote: »
    My current favorite is: low carb whole wheat tortilla, frozen costco salmon burgers, goat cheese, salsa. I can keep all the making for it at work, just heat up the salmon patty in teh microwave, chop it up and make some yummy fish tacos!
    4is73ye4a6lu.jpg

I am by no means a fish connoisseur so i'm wondering how the salmon burgers taste??? are they fishy tasting at all? like when you open a can of tuna, i run the other way it smells WAY too fishy...but I've eaten salmon before (fresh) and loved it!