Breakfast on the go

Options
Sorry if this post is a repeat, but I skimmed through the search results and didn't see exactly what I was looking for.

Right now I stop at McDonald's every weekday morning for breakfast. I'm a working mom of a two year old and I'm not a morning person. I don't like sweet breakfast foods so things like oatmeal, yogurt and cereal is out of the question. I know I need to stop with the Mickey D's but I haven't really found a suitable replacement for convenience and preference. I've tried making breakfast meals ahead of time, but honestly who wants to eat the same egg mixture every day for 5 days? I've been eating Jimmy Dean's breakfast bowls and I really like them, but they are so high in sodium.

I just don't know what to do and I know this habit is a big reason for my weight gain.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    How many calories in your McDonalds breakfast? You can keep eating it if you want and it fits your daily calories. I eat the same thing every morning-Quest bar. Never get tired of it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I love the egg mcmuffin... good combo of protein fats and carbs.... personally, i take two. If you are worried about sodium, try to get other foods high in magnesium and potassium later in your diet and drink plenty of water.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Eating a calorie surplus is a big reason for weight gain. If you like your McDonald's, eat it, log it, and make room throughout the rest of your day.

Adult life pro-tip: you can eat whatever you want for breakfast - doesn't have to be "breakfast food."
  • arditarose
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    I love the egg mcmuffin... good combo of protein fats and carbs.... personally, i take two. If you are worried about sodium, try to get other foods high in magnesium and potassium later in your diet and drink plenty of water.

Does the magnesium and potassium in your diet help even out sodium?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I've tried making breakfast meals ahead of time, but honestly who wants to eat the same egg mixture every day for 5 days? I've been eating Jimmy Dean's breakfast bowls and I really like them, but they are so high in sodium.

I just don't know what to do and I know this habit is a big reason for my weight gain.
    If you don't want to give up McD's, don't. Keep in mind:
    1. You won't change unless you change.
    2. You can keep with it if you reduce your intake in other areas.
    3. Keep a caloric deficit.
    4. You might end up hungry at the end of the day.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Try this! Super easy and you can take a cooked egg and add it onto your own english muffin at home. Just heat up! Also, this recipe is so versatile you can add lots of different stuff!

1. Spray a muffin pan with some non-stick cooking spray.
    2. Throw in Spinach if desired
    3. Crack one egg into each well.
    4. Sprinkle the eggs with a little salt & pepper or whatever seasonings that you’d like.
    5. Bake in the oven at 350 for about 15 minutes.

Topping ideas: bacon, ham, cheese, mushrooms, sausage, etc! You can even add a different mix to each cup do it's not the same every day.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Who is baking in the morning? I haven't put anything in the oven since last February.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Sorry, that wasn't clear! This is a method for doing early in the week and then heating up in the morning. :D
  • Jlmwarn
    Jlmwarn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can make a similar Egg McMuffin at home on weekends and freeze them. Use lower calorie english muffins toast, add "fried" egg (use non stick pan) use turkey bacon or low sodium ham and a lower fat cheese. Wrap each individually and freeze. In the morning just pull one out and reheat in microwave.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Oh, gotcha.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Who is baking in the morning? I haven't put anything in the oven since last February.

TWSS
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I make oatmeal a few times a week, or a bagel, or cottage cheese and yogurt. All quick and easy, as well as being able to eat them in the car while stopped for traffic or lights.
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, if it fits into your day and calorie goal - go ahead and keep eating it if that's what you like. If it's making you have to eat less the rest of the day then I totally understand wanting to look for another option.

I used to love Jimmy Dean's Turkey Sausage English Muffins. If you don't have a health concern that requires you to monitor your sodium then it's not a huge deal as long as you are well hydrated and not going crazy crazy overboard.

You can make your own 'egg mcmuffins' in cupcake pans, there are lots of ideas on Pinterest, you can freeze those and you control the sodium and other ingredients.
    Breakfast burritos are a good, on-the-go friendly food. These are things you have to make ahead of time though.

I also keep Luna bars and Cliff bars on hand in my drawer at my office in case I have to miss lunch (which happens often) so I have something to eat that's easy to carry around with me.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I'm whipping up a batch of egg muffins today. Found the recipe on Pinterest and thought it was great. Anything that makes it super easy to grab and go a healthy and protein filled breakfast is great. Basically- they are mini-crustless quiches you bake in muffin tins. Super easy to microwave and go.http://www.willcookforfriends.com/2014/04/crustless-mini-quiche-single-serving-breakfast-muffins.html
  • arditarose
    Options

TWSS

ooh. Good one :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

TWSS

*quite* the dry spell.
    Awkward.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat the Jimmy Deans bowl. It can easily fit into your day as long as you drop something else.
  • arditarose
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

TWSS

*quite* the dry spell.
    Awkward.

If that were true I don't know WHAT I'd be doing, considering what all this fitness has done to my drive.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I eat a microwaved apple with cinnamon and nutmeg topped with granola. And sometimes two slices of center cut bacon or maybe a bit of ham, or a boiled egg. There are plenty of things to eat for breakfast without resorting to a fast food drive through. As for time, quit making excuses. I raised two daughters alone who were 14 months apart in age. That means when I had a one year old, I also had a 2.5 year old. I still managed to eat something before breakfast at home at the kitchen table before packing everyone up to go to school and work. Among other things, do you really want to start feeding that stuff to your child?
  • canadianwildrose
    Options
    I hard boil eggs and keep them in the fridge for the morning so i can grab one of those or a yogurt, then i make toast quickly and drink a cup of vegetable juice. Im not a fan of sweet breakfast items either so I alternate the eggs and yogurt or if i want to mix it up i make a spinach and fruit smoothie.