Cruise Suggestions

Options
VeganAmandaJ
VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
edited November 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
I will be going on a 6 day cruise and am looking for some advice on how not to gain 10 lbs.

My plan was to indulge half the time (which I know would still include possible gain) but I also plan to be very active whether it be walking around on the ship, at the two destinations, and/or taking advantage of the gym for sure-well,that's the plan anyway. I'm hoping being active will literally outweigh any possible indulgences.

I haven't been on a cruise in about 11 years and would like to enjoy myself and not freak out or be obsessed with food and counting but I would like suggestions from people who have been successful on cruises.

I pretty much know what to expect and I will choose veggies and fruits when possible; I suppose it's the same concept as going to a buffet?

Thanks for any help.

Replies

• wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! On cruises, you should definitely try to make the set meal times as opposed to the buffets though. You feel like you're in a restaurant and still can order any dishes you want (as many as you'd like), but it isn't all in front of you and it is already portioned out for you.

However, if you feel that is just too regimented, then yes, stick with healthier choices and see if you can stick to just the one plate. Alcohol is another secret calorie saboteur. If you are going to a tropical place, be careful of the fruity drinks you're consuming on the boat.

One night out of six won't make you gain weight, but six nights of 1000 extra calories could put you up a couple of pounds. Remember though, you are going on vacation, so a couple of days of letting loose won't hurt too badly. It is only when you go to the buffet every day and every meal and forget your food choices.

Have great fun and just don't sit still for too long! :D
  • brittk2013
    brittk2013 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I think you have the right mindset. I've been on a few cruises and have never gained more than a pound or two from any of them because even though there's food all over the place, I'm moving so much.

Keep in mind that just because food is there doesn't mean you absolutely have to eat it. Eat when you're hungry, pass when you aren't. Be somewhat mindful of your choices, but remember it's ok to indulge and enjoy a taste of the chocolate buffet or dessert at dinner. Balance it by taking the stairs instead of the elevator, walk around the ship, walk when you can at port. We always go on somewhat active excursions and feel like we walk more on cruises than we do in regular life!

I think it's awesome that you're thinking about staying healthy while on vacation, but remember that it's just that, a vacation. Enjoy yourself!
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Oh...I hate to say this, but I don't think I could handle a cruise if I was trying to lose weight. 90 percent of most cruises is about the food. It makes me hungry just thinking about it.

My advice is to eat it up and enjoy. Then make sure you get back on track when you get back. I recently gained 5 lbs on vacation and lost it quickly when I got back to real life. You have to live a little. One week won't destroy your weight loss plans. Just make sure you get right back into the groove when you return.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    If you gain 10lbs, 8 of it will be water. You'd need to eat 35000 calories above TDEE to gain 10lbs of fat.

I say, if you really...really...want to...watch your portions, but just go ahead and enjoy your vacation. I gained 8lbs on my 7 day cruise. I went back to my normal diet and exercise plan on Monday and lost all 8 by Thursday. Don't get discouraged by the scales in this scenario.
  • VeganAmandaJ
    Options
    Thank you for the kind words! I don't plan to do much alcohol since I pretty much don't drink as it is now and I feel like it's a huge waste of calories without any nutrition, also it's expensive so I just opt out.

I will try to avoid the buffet though at least most of the time.

Thanks and I don't plan to sit for too long, unless to sunbathe a bit!
    wkwebby wrote: »
    Absolutely! On cruises, you should definitely try to make the set meal times as opposed to the buffets though. You feel like you're in a restaurant and still can order any dishes you want (as many as you'd like), but it isn't all in front of you and it is already portioned out for you.

However, if you feel that is just too regimented, then yes, stick with healthier choices and see if you can stick to just the one plate. Alcohol is another secret calorie saboteur. If you are going to a tropical place, be careful of the fruity drinks you're consuming on the boat.

One night out of six won't make you gain weight, but six nights of 1000 extra calories could put you up a couple of pounds. Remember though, you are going on vacation, so a couple of days of letting loose won't hurt too badly. It is only when you go to the buffet every day and every meal and forget your food choices.

Have great fun and just don't sit still for too long! :D

• mom2nicknat
    mom2nicknat Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have been on two cruises during this journey and did just fine. I would eat in the dining room as much as possible because their portions were much smaller. Have fun!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    If you gain 10lbs, 8 of it will be water. You'd need to eat 35000 calories above TDEE to gain 10lbs of fat.

I say, if you really...really...want to...watch your portions, but just go ahead and enjoy your vacation. I gained 8lbs on my 7 day cruise. I went back to my normal diet and exercise plan on Monday and lost all 8 by Thursday. Don't get discouraged by the scales in this scenario.

Listen to this guy. Life is too short to worry about food all the time.

• VeganAmandaJ
    Options
    Thanks so much! Yeah, I just don't want to go crazy and actually, I ate a buffet yesterday and I just can't eat at the volume I used to- I can't. I also tend to eat slower and I get little bits of things. I don't stuff myself to sickness anymore (usually, very rarely do I get too full), it's just not a good feeling to be uncomfortable and I especially don't want to feel ill on my vacation so that is a huge motivating factor.

I do plan to enjoy myself, just in moderation, thanks!
    brittk2013 wrote: »
    I think you have the right mindset. I've been on a few cruises and have never gained more than a pound or two from any of them because even though there's food all over the place, I'm moving so much.

Keep in mind that just because food is there doesn't mean you absolutely have to eat it. Eat when you're hungry, pass when you aren't. Be somewhat mindful of your choices, but remember it's ok to indulge and enjoy a taste of the chocolate buffet or dessert at dinner. Balance it by taking the stairs instead of the elevator, walk around the ship, walk when you can at port. We always go on somewhat active excursions and feel like we walk more on cruises than we do in regular life!

I think it's awesome that you're thinking about staying healthy while on vacation, but remember that it's just that, a vacation. Enjoy yourself!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    There's pretty much no way you could actually gain 10 Lbs of actual fat in 6 days even if you just said to hell with it and went to town.

Personally, cruise...vacation...whatever...I pretty much just enjoy those occasions and events and try to be reasonably mindful of what I'm doing, but more or less I'm there to enjoy myself. I don't think I've ever gained any actual weight (beyond water and waste) on a vacation...

I took a trip to California a few weeks ago for a week long vacation...I was 182 when I left and 190 when I got back home...I was back to 182 by the following Thursday as it was all water and waste weight, not fat.
  • VeganAmandaJ
    Options
    Haha, true! I never said I was trying to LOSE weight while on this cruise haha. I just don't want to go overboard. (pun intended)

Thanks and I definitely plan to enjoy the food but I guess I will just Basically I plan to stop eating when I'm feeling full even if I want more food and to be as active as I can to counteract any possible overeating.

SLHysell wrote: »
    Oh...I hate to say this, but I don't think I could handle a cruise if I was trying to lose weight. 90 percent of most cruises is about the food. It makes me hungry just thinking about it.

My advice is to eat it up and enjoy. Then make sure you get back on track when you get back. I recently gained 5 lbs on vacation and lost it quickly when I got back to real life. You have to live a little. One week won't destroy your weight loss plans. Just make sure you get right back into the groove when you return.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Have a visit to this thread on Cruise Critic Lose Before you Cruise.

I find the amount of activity on the cruise and ports of call counterbalances my extra calories.
    Remember stairs are your friend; elevators your enemy.
    Go easy in the buffets, but allow treats.
    When eating in the main dining room you don't need to eat every course, I usually chose 3 out of the 4 - one always being desert (I am on holiday after all. Seperate your main course as soon as it arrives putting aside the amount that you don't need to eat. Ignore the bread put on the table.

As already mentioned a lot of the gain is water weight because of the salt in the food.
    Weigh youself out of curiosity when you get home - then ignore that weight.
    Weighing 1-2 weeks after the cruise will give you your true, if any, gain.
    I am usually 7-10 pounds up when I get home but I am back to normal +or- 2lb after 2 weeks.

Enjoy your cruise, it isn't all about food and drink; it is also about making new friends and visiting new places.
    What cruise are you doing and which ship?

Cheers, h.

• indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a 2 week cruise in Dec. and I plan on enjoying it. I am at my goal weight and BF% now,so I am still eating below TDEE-10 and I figure I should lose another 5-7 lbs. and have the wiggle room,BUT I plan on enjoying the food and eat what I want and if need be,I'll lose any gain when I return.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    We went on a 5 night Disney cruise in March. I gained 8lbs. The whole idea of savoring each meal, enjoying things I don't usually, just flat out enjoying myself made the vacation so much better.

Within a week, I had the 8lbs gone. No problem!
  • sydneydeb
    sydneydeb Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    What works for me is do not eat at the buffet at all, only eat in the restaurant where the portions are controlled and much better food. Before breakfast walk or run (which ever you prefer) at least two laps of the top deck of the ship. If you do any shore tours do as much walking as you can or try to pick ones that involve some type of activity. Most of all have fun and don't stress about it too much, life is meant to be lived.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    ASLJH83 wrote: »
    I will be going on a 6 day cruise and am looking for some advice on how not to gain 10 lbs.

My plan was to indulge half the time (which I know would still include possible gain) but I also plan to be very active whether it be walking around on the ship, at the two destinations, and/or taking advantage of the gym for sure-well,that's the plan anyway. I'm hoping being active will literally outweigh any possible indulgences.

I haven't been on a cruise in about 11 years and would like to enjoy myself and not freak out or be obsessed with food and counting but I would like suggestions from people who have been successful on cruises.

I pretty much know what to expect and I will choose veggies and fruits when possible; I suppose it's the same concept as going to a buffet?

Thanks for any help.
    I gained 7 pounds in 7 days eating anything I wanted, but after every meal, I walked the entire ship up and down every deck. It took an hour.
    I ate 4 huge meals per day...and walked 4 hours. I was not on a cruise to diet.
    And once I returned to regular life, I cut the weight in 2 weeks.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I went on an 8 day cruise and didn't gain an ounce. I worked out in the gym about 5 days of the week. My excursions were horseback riding, swimming with dolphins, snorkeling.

I ate off of the healthy menu a few nights of the week. Ordered what I wanted a few nights. Always had at least 2 glasses of wine with dinner. Didn't eat much for lunch because that food is not great anyway. Basically if something tasted awesome, I ate it all.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    My biggest concern for my upcoming cruise is hitting my protein macros. Everything else will balance out on its own.
    Have a great time!!
  • jgled
    jgled Posts: 9 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I think you got some great advice. I never gain during holidays but a recent cruise did me in. Swelling from salt and very high blood pressure.I usually don't use salt.but it can't be helped on a cruise. Drink lots o f water and get the exercise. Buffets are not best choice I think restaurant is t he better way definitely but do the buffet once to not miss the experience just make sensible choices. Bread is a big calorie taker .you can always have bread but you don't get some of the other choices every day. So I would go with A or choose B, whichever Will satisfy my craving with the best result. AND ABOVE ALL, LOG YOUR INTAKE you will be sorry if you don't. HAVE FUN
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    jgled wrote: »
    I think you got some great advice. I never gain during holidays by a recent cruise did me in. Swelling from salt and very high blood p pressure.I usually don't use salt.but it can't be helped on a cruise. Drink lots o f water and get the exercise. Buffets are not best choice I think restaurant is t he better way definitely but do the buffet once to not miss the experience just make sensible choices. Bread is a big calorie taker .you can always have bread but you don't get some of the other choices every day. So I would go with A or B whichever Will satisfy my craving with the best result. AND ABOVE ALL LOG YOUR INTAKE DON'T you will be sorry if you don't. HAVE FUN

I disagree. I did buffet for lunch and had salads or pieces of meat. Dinners are sauced up, served with bread. Any anyway, you won't have service probably. If you've been measuring all along you'll have a good idea of what "maintenance" feels like. Eat that.