Strength training and bodybuilding

Options
I'm fairly new to this, even though I remember things from when I was coached in high-school, I'd like a helping hand or workout buddy. I am not trying to get super buff and go to competitions, but my goal is to look similar to Frank McGrath. I don't just want size but true strength. Any tips would be helpful, workout routines, suppliments. Thanks.

Replies

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Routines: Take either Starting Strength or Stronglifts. They're very similar and will build strength, fast.

Worry less about supplements and more about eating a varied diet based around 0.6g to 0.8g of protein per lb bodyweight.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to this, even though I remember things from when I was coached in high-school, I'd like a helping hand or workout buddy. I am not trying to get super buff and go to competitions, but my goal is to look similar to Frank McGrath. I don't just want size but true strength. Any tips would be helpful, workout routines, suppliments. Thanks.
    This Frank McGrath
    5facb49ed9635c64d50418b91862d6f0.jpg

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    He's on a metric donkeyload of gear. FYI.

You're looking at years of hard work, years of PEDs, and with luck, the RIGHT genetics. I'd suggest going for a smaller goal, start with just getting as strong as you can be, eh?

I would also add, that unless you go on injectables... the Frank McGrath ship has sailed for you. Doesn't mean you can't get ripped and awesome looking, even natty... but you're probably not going to get that yoked unless you're a genetic freak with a deep budget.
  • SpikedJoker
    Options
    Yes I realize the Frank M is on that level and It's an outrageous goal but I tend to aim high. I'm not trying to be a pro builder, but an everyday guy similar build. If it takes years so be it. Any advice will be helpful.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    you'll need steroids
  • SpikedJoker
    Options
    I'd prefer to avoid injectable anything.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Good luck looking like him without steroids as he takes them
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    Routines: Take either Starting Strength or Stronglifts. They're very similar and will build strength, fast.

Worry less about supplements and more about eating a varied diet based around 0.6g to 0.8g of protein per lb bodyweight.

All jokes aside about Frank McGrath (Personally I'd like to look like Ronnie Coleman, complete with his high-pitched voice and his beautiful chocolate skin tone), this is good advice. Just pick a beginner program and try it out. It's really not important which program you pick, as a beginner you'll make progress on just about anything.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Yup, pick a beginner program, and take the time you'd spend worrying about your workout program and instead research the different types of available pro-hormones.

Or like... choose a more realistic goal? George St Pierre, great body, easily 1/3rd the daily injections.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    You don't need PED's to lose weight and get strong. Starting Strength, StrongLifts5x5, and 5/3/1 are all fine programs to get you going and get you strong. Lift smart, lift hard, eat, sleep, and you'll do just fine. Pick a program that appeals to you and stick to it.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    This Frank McGrath
    5facb49ed9635c64d50418b91862d6f0.jpg

Oh... well then... at least he's not "super buff". Because that would just be unrealistic.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    OP, what is your current specs?
    Height, weight, body fat, etc.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Forget it. I don't want to join this.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.. this will end well.
  • dbmata
    Options
    My build isnt ectomorph like George St Pierre, I chose Frank because he seemed to fall a bit closer to my frame type. I realize my goal is out there, but I think I can come close. He'll If they got vegan builders now, Why not LoL.

Any suggestions on a brand of growth hormone?

Did you really just ask that?

Come back in 4 or 5 years after you've been perfect with your lifting program and diet. Then, realize you're going to be spending at least a few hundred bucks a month of prohormones.

So brand? Yeah, SpikedJoker MinT - you have a few years left before your T really starts dropping off, make use of it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Yes I realize the Frank M is on that level and It's an outrageous goal but I tend to aim high. I'm not trying to be a pro builder, but an everyday guy similar build. If it takes years so be it. Any advice will be helpful.

I'm confused. You want to look like Frank but you don't want to be a bodybuilder? Ummm...that doesn't work out like that. Are you saying that you just don't want to compete?

Because if you really want to look like him, it's going to take hard work along the lines of that of a bodybuilder.
  • SpikedJoker
    Options
    Well I don't plan to start in on any hormones aat all for a while anyway, was just curious. Yes I realize he is "superbuff" was saying I'm not going that extreme. For a lot of builders he is more well rrounded in proportion in my opinion. I'm currently doing diet, cardio, and weight training in a full range of movement and don't quit til I feel iI can't do more. I'm going at this with aa just do it attitude. This thread was started as a way to pick your brains to find What works best for my results I want. So Thanks for the input.
  • Captain_Wobbles
    Captain_Wobbles Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    You are now aware that he doesn't look like that all year and that's his competition body. It's not sustainable all year. It take a lot of training, a lot of food and a lot of tren,drol,gh among other things not worth mentioning because it's most likely a bannable offense to discuss. Pic related his off season for.
    66699d1387075223-frank-mcgrath-vaillant-recent-pic-antoine-12.13.2013.jpg Dem capped delts.
  • dbmata
    Options
    capped delts? Synthol delts, neh?

SpikedJoker - dude, serious. Get on a good lifting program, do the diet work. Get some results. When the time is right, and if you have the extra money burning a hole in your pocket, you'll find the right peds.

You don't just get to look like him by injecting stuff. ffs.